Aluminum MacBook External Monitor Vista

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ayeying, Dec 23, 2008.

1. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

So I have a dual screen set up at home. A 20" Widescreen Dell Monitor and the internal MacBook 13" screen. For some reason, I can't seem to connect the External monitor to my MacBook via Mini Display Port -> VGA. It just doesn't work. It works in OSX, I can use both monitors but in Vista, I can only use the Internal Screen or clamshell external screen.

Does anyone have this problem? I've tried connecting the wire and restarting and to no use.

2. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Why would you want to connect a (supposedly digital) wide screen monitor via VGA and not DVI? You lose a lot of visual quality with the VGA connection. I'd say, get the MDP>DVI adapter. That should work without any trouble. The MDP>VGA adapter will still come in handy when connecting your MacBook to a beamer.

3. ayeying thread starter macrumors 601

ayeying

because I only have a VGA to MDP cord, not a DVI to MDP.

4. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

If you right click the desktop and go to Personalize, then on the left side there should be "Connect to a projector or other external display" a pop up shows up and on the right side should be the External Display option, hit connect to display, Should detect and give you some options.

5. ayeying thread starter macrumors 601

ayeying

Tried it. Didn't work. It seems like a hit or miss situation right now... but with a barely 1% probability of working.. its being a pain. It doesn't work in Vista or XP or even freshly installed Vista/XP.