Aluminum Macbook users: Did you buy 2.0 or 2.4 GHz?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by hierobryan, Oct 19, 2008.

?

Which did you buy?

1. 2.0

63 vote(s)
    44.1%
  2. 2.4

80 vote(s)
    55.9%
  1. hierobryan macrumors 6502a

Just curious... because in the back of my mind I feel like I should have bought the 2.4 GHz just so I know I have "the best" model. The keyboard makes no difference to me, neither does the HD & RAM since I plan to upgrade.

2. clamchowderz macrumors member

yea you should have gotten the 2.4ghz. price difference is about 400$ i think, youre computer technically is already outdated.

3. ti2ibal1 macrumors member

There is always going to be something better and faster. Just enjoy what you have.

I bought the 2.4GHz model just because I already had purchased the Blackbook for $1,499. I just took that back and threw another $100 towards it to get what I've got.

I'm glad I did. I really enjoy the back-lit keyboard. I'm used to it since I've been using a Logitech G15 on my desktop for a few years now.

4. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

With any computer, always buy the most computer you can afford. It will be useful and relevant that much longer. This is especially true for Macs as their resale value is higher than any other computer...the more you spend now, the more you get back when you sell it.

5. hierobryan thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm not going to get the 2.4, even with Hawaii's lack of restocking fee. I just want to know who bought what.

6. scottintosh macrumors member

My parents just bought me the 2.4ghz model today. It was a High School graduation gift, I decided to wait until they were updated until I got one.

I felt that the 2.4ghz model was the best deal, because for $250 more (seemingly small compared to the $1250). The processor is notably faster (20%) and the hard drive is larger, and the backlit keyboard is bada$$.

7. Greystorm macrumors member

I got the 2.0. I always buy in the lower end for such heavily depreciating and fast improving tech. The money I save now will allow me to buy something twice as fast in 3 years time more easily.

8. budkid macrumors regular

True...i know i will try to sell this one once the new processors come out.

9. qwikrex macrumors member

I opted for the 2.0. Backlit keyboard, 400 mhz, and bigger hd wasnt enough to make me want to spend the extra $300. I'd rather put the money toward an imac whenever they refresh, or a refurb mini.

10. penq86 macrumors newbie

I ordered the 2.4ghz model :D I dont worry about the memory. It will become cheaper and at the moment I dont need 4 gigs. Its overkill too so till that I will wait for snow leopoard.:D

11. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

are you ****ing serious

12. bradbowl macrumors member

I've have owned numerous PB's and a couple MBP's, so I've always had the ambient light sensor. In all honesty, I never use it and keep it turned off since the computer is in my bedroom. The extra horsepower and hard drive space are inconsequential for what I'm using the MB for.

13. altair7 macrumors member

I bought to 2.4 for a lot of reasons. I was coming from a mid 2007 MBP which was 2.2 Ghz so I wanted to guarantee an upgrade. I also do a lot of software development work and run windows inside parallels for this so the extra speed is necessary. Also this is my main computer and I'm hoping it will last me 3-4 years.

14. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

15. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I bought 2.0 for the same reasons. People arguing about the extra 400MHz being relevant in a few years really haven't thought this through. You're paying an extra £200 for the marginal speed increase - it's not like they are different chip families, it's the same processor just clocked ever so slightly higher.

That £200 you save now will come in handy in a couple of years when you want to buy a new machine. I'm assuming no one here is shallow enough to want to spend £200 on some lights beneath the keys, especially when the display is so bright that the keyboard is easily illuminated by it in a dark room.

Alternatively you could spend that £200 on a Time Capsule or an iPod or something which is vastly more functional than the marginal upgrades you get on the higher MacBook model.

PS: My 2.0 MacBook feels just as fast as my 2.4GHz iMac :D

16. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

Exactly, another important point is. You will most likely lose less money while selling the cheaper one then while selling the 2.4 one. Losses are usualy calculated by percentage, and on top of that many buyers have no idea what the difference between 2.4 and 2.0 is. If they see alot of cheaper 2.0 on the market it will be harder to not lose more money while selling a 2.4. Not saying it would be impossible, just harder.

17. yoppie macrumors 6502a

What's $250 over a period of three years (average time people keep their computers)? That's a little less than $7 a month - hardly enough to make people go into the poor house. If we're just going to buy based on price alone, we might as well be buying Windows computers. For the most part, the two OS can do the same thing. You can save a bunch of money there.

Some people want the backlighting and don't care about the extra cost. If $250 more is a BIG obstacle in getting the computer you want, you probably can't afford the computer in the first place. You're coming off as a hater, whining about what others are buying. It's entirely possible that those purchasing the 2.4 are also purchasing Time Capsules and AppleCare.

Enjoy your 2.0 and let those who have the 2.4 enjoy theirs.

18. peerapon macrumors newbie

peerapon

reserved : 2.4

i decide 2.4
    coz backlit keyboard important for me

just only one reason ^_^

19. Apple addict macrumors member

I think the cost diff vs the added features was reasonable.

back lighted key board
    bigger HD capacity
    faster processor

But for me the back lit keyboard sealed the deal.

Gary

20. lasuther macrumors 6502a

Bought the 2.0 with the plan of selling it when the iCore 7 processor comes out.

21. JJBagoose macrumors newbie

Just got the 2.0. I never really thought about the 2.4, it I was going to spend the extra cash I would have bought a previous gen MBP.

For me I used the diff to but an extra 2gb ram. I thought this was more important.

22. No1451 macrumors 6502

In no way interested in upping to 2.4, for what I'm going to be doing, and for that matter what 80% of people will be doing, does it really matter?

I don't notice a great deal of difference in my desktop for example when I went up from dual 2.4 to quad 3.2

Backlit keyboard WOULD be nice however, wish it was perhaps a $80 option or something, I'd pay the small extra.

23. drober30 macrumors 6502a

I really like the backlit keyboard and use my laptop in low lighting conditions often.

24. JJBagoose macrumors newbie

Could have invested the extra money in a typing class :p

25. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    My brother's looking to get a MacBook. He doesn't care much for the extra HD and the extra processing power, but that backlit keyboard he could definitely use. I think that's probably going to be enough to grab the better computer.