Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

alwaysonline-250x352.png
Otono Networks today announced the launch of AlwaysOnline Wireless, a global LTE roaming network exclusively for iPads with Apple SIM. The roaming network will be available in 45 countries, but will expand to additional countries in the future.

AlwaysOnline will offer LTE data plans starting from $0.99 an hour for 15 MB, and users can pay by hour, day or megabyte. Otono CEO Emir Aboulhosn says that the company wants to offer short-term data plans for times customers "really need connectivity on-the-go" like if they need to "catch up on email in the car" or "get directions to their next meeting."

AlwaysOnline's roaming network is available in countries like Canada, Mexico, France, Germany, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, Israel, Japan, Saudi Arabia and more. However, the network's plans aren't available to the residents of the majority of the countries listed. The full list can be seen on AlwaysOnline's website.

Last year, Apple introduced the Apple SIM with cellular models of the iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3 sold in the United States and United Kingdom. The Apple SIM allows users to easily move between networks, taking advantage of short-term data deals when needed. More recently, the cellular models of the iPad mini 4 and iPad Pro have included Apple SIM support. The Apple SIM can now be purchased in 13 countries.

Earlier this year, Apple agreed to a deal with mobile connectivity company GigSky to bring Apple SIM cellular data plans to over 90 countries. While GigSky offers short-term data deals in more countries than AlwaysOnline, the latter offers even shorter-term data deals, enabling users to purchase hour and day-long plans.

Article Link: 'AlwaysOnline Wireless' Debuts New Short-Term Cellular Data Plans for Apple SIM

Dekema2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
WNY or Utica
The one service that isn't in the U.S., likely because of regulation. It's a shame because AT&T likes to nickel and dime me.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
This is a great option for people like my parents, who take trips overseas, but don't need mega data plans. They can just log on every once in a while for an hour.

Reactions: Sandstorm

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I would definitely be interested in this, except getting the LTE iPad in the first place is a $140 premium. I'd use it maybe 5 hours a year - just when I'm in airports, probably.

AliMacs

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2014
Wait, it's $1 for 15MB of data in ONE HOUR use? What a load of crap!

15MB/hr is a joke. Why not give me $1 for 100MB/hr is more like it. You visit websites, stream a video, get a ton of ads forced down your throat, and send one or two emails minus attachments. 15MB is great back in 2007.

This is the same tactic used by american companies.

You go to asia they give you unlimited wifi access at their wifi coffee shops for 30 days - you buy a pass that's around $25 or less. This is typical how us telecoms force-fornicate consumers.

Let's just use an example:

Send some images only in whatsapp - probably 250kb/image. Send some video, that's gonna eat that 15MB real quick. You can basically text for an hour minus sending any multimedia. The plan is pretty ripoff in my opinion.

DCJ001

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
I use a T-Mobile card in my cellular iPad Air 2. This gives me 200MB of data per 30 days at no charge for the life of the device.

This is definitely helpful for me when I travel.

I also took advantage of a T-Mobile special of 5GB of data good for 150 days for $10.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Hopefully everyone in the US is taking advantage of the T-Mobile Tablet plan of 200mb free a month. Even if you prefer other cell companies it costs you $1 (usually on special or $10 if it isn't) to get a T-Mobile SIM to have around in case you ever need it.

Last edited:
Reactions: jamesnajera

AliMacs

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2014
I use a T-Mobile card in my cellular iPad Air 2. This gives me 200MB of data per 30 days at no charge for the life of the device.

This is definitely helpful for me when I travel.

I also took advantage of a T-Mobile special of 5GB of data good for 150 days for $10.

Too bad that $10/5GB data plan is use once only - but still, tmobile gives you free 200MB for 30 days for life of device is a great free deal. I don't see any other carrier give me free jack crap!

wolfaaron

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2012
Dude(tte), unlike you, my parents value a functioning network stateside. They are on Verizon and aren't going to settle for T-Mobile. They tried Sprint. Never again.
Tmobile lets you borrow an iPhone to try out their network. Their coverage has expanded by nearly 400% in my area ever since John Legere became CEO. They just surpassed Sprint to become #3 in the amount of customers that they have. Any rumor that you heard about Tmobile that is older than 6 months is already outdated. They're a really good company and they work in every country that I've visited.

UnusedLoginID

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2012
Too bad that $10/5GB data plan is use once only - but still, tmobile gives you free 200MB for 30 days for life of device is a great free deal. I don't see any other carrier give me free jack crap!

The free T-Mobile 200MB for iPad is not valid outside the US. I know, I tried!

$1 for 15MB is pretty steep.

I know in France with Orange for about $16.50 you get a kit with SIM card and 2GB of data valid one month (pochette prêt-à-surfer 4G).

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Ripoff, even here in the Netherlands you can get a free simcard and pay $10 of 1 GB, valid for a month.
There are also plenty of other options available for not much more.
It's even much cheaper in Asia, like less than $5 for 3 GB.
Just drop in a local simcard, that's what I always do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.