Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 28, 2007
Well this is better than nothing now that Att got rid of full subsidy upgrade (aka $199 iPhones/Galaxy S whatever) with 2 year contract.

I just used a full subsidy upgrade last Sept 2015.

I have included pics of my contract end date Sept 2017 clearly showing 2 year contract. Also have included text confirmation that I am eligible for ATT next while under contract. Usually I wouldn't be eligible for ATT next until month 18. It's only month 6.

Why the significance since ATT NEXT is like paying full price anyways?

Simple. Even with the $5 price increase on my ATT unlimited line under my grandfathered plan. And even after ATT ended subsidies for grandfathers users. It's still cheaper for me to stay with ATT for 2 unlimited data lines than switch to T-Mobile unlimited. Cause of my 24% FAN Discount. Plus ATT has better coverage for me.

And it's not just early ATT next eligibility for me. It's that I can shop around when they have super promo (like when SAMs club had $300 gift card (Costco would have price match) for ATT next upgrades during thanksgiving time).

So being early eligible for ATT next enables me to shop around for deals and avoid paying full price when promo comes up.

Maybe early eligibility For next is because I am unlimited data user who can leave without an ETF due to price increase of data plan? Who knows. But i was wanted to let u guys know. ATT changed the att next upgrade for me early in the contract cycle.

So those of you with grandfathered subsidized plans who's contract Doesnt end to 2017 you may want to check ur eligibility for ATT next. It's still better than nothing especially if you shop around and see if they offer promos like big $200-300 gift cards for going ATT next. I won't debate the value of gift card promos. But $300 Costco gift card during thanksgiving would have been treated like cash to me. And can help ease the pain for paying $700-800 for a galaxy or iPhone on ATT next.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    226.6 KB · Views: 163
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    55.9 KB · Views: 147

jetsam

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2015
I noticed that on my wife's line, too. Her contract doesn't expire until November 28, 2016. On Sunday, there was an alert in OLAM that her line is now eligible for a Next upgrade. Prior to that, all she was offered was a full price upgrade.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I noticed this on my account as well. The problem is that I still paid a subsidized price of around $500 for my iPhone 6s Plus with Applecare. If I do next now, don't I have to turn my iPhone in and essentially lose the money I paid just so that I can start over again with paying full retail for another phone (or splitting it up into payments)?

Doesn't sounds like a great deal to me at this point and we are still on the current iPhone version. I guess you could get the new Galaxy S7 this way.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
I noticed this on my account as well. The problem is that I still paid a subsidized price of around $500 for my iPhone 6s Plus with Applecare. If I do next now, don't I have to turn my iPhone in and essentially lose the money I paid just so that I can start over again with paying full retail for another phone (or splitting it up into payments)?

Doesn't sounds like a great deal to me at this point and we are still on the current iPhone version. I guess you could get the new Galaxy S7 this way.
You don't have to turn in your iPhone, that's yours to keep since you paid the subsidized price for it.

With Next, you would only be required to turn in your device one you opt to upgrade early, but if you keep on paying the installment, then the device is yours once fully paid.

Reactions: aneftp and jetsam

aneftp

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 28, 2007
You don't have to turn in your iPhone, that's yours to keep since you paid the subsidized price for it.

With Next, you would only be required to turn in your device one you opt to upgrade early, but if you keep on paying the installment, then the device is yours once fully paid.
Yes.

And the key is to wait for sales or promos.

A $300 store credit just to upgrade on att next is essentially like a "subsidy" is the way I look at it.

We can all play the game again. Say iPhone 6S is $650. Get $200/300 promo store credit whenever there are sales.

Come September when new iPhone comes out. We can always pay off iPhone early and resell for $400-450. get another phone on att next etc.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
Yes.

And the key is to wait for sales or promos.

A $300 store credit just to upgrade on att next is essentially like a "subsidy" is the way I look at it.

We can all play the game again. Say iPhone 6S is $650. Get $200/300 promo store credit whenever there are sales.

Come September when new iPhone comes out. We can always pay off iPhone early and resell for $400-450. get another phone on att next etc.
Just be careful, those credits usually have a fine print, i.e. new line required with trade in etc.

At this point, I highly doubt AT&T would be generous on giving out credits seeing the subsidy is already gone, they want consumers to pay for the full cost of the device.

We'll see though... we can only hope right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.