Am I ‘safe’ to upgrade to OS X high Sierra?

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by snerkler, Apr 14, 2018.

1. snerkler macrumors 6502a

When high Sierra was first released I was warned against it due to it causing some serious performance issues, I can’t remember exactly what but something’s niggling away saying it was something to do with the GPU possibly?

Anyway, have all issues been resolved or are there still problems with high Sierra? I have the touch bar 15” MBP.

I don’t have any issues with Sierra so I’m not desperate to upgrade, but it’s just that I’ve just bought the Nikon D850 camera and Sierra does not support the RAW files, yet high Sierra does. I don’t know if high Sierra gets preference, or whether it means that there won’t be support for the D850 with Sierra?

Anyway, any advice appreciated.

2. titaniumjones macrumors newbie

titaniumjones

My own experiences have been good. As to the GPU issues, I remember that there were some Nvidia issues when it was first released (and as an eGPU user) there were no Nvidia drivers for the newest series of cards.
    Nvidia eventually released drivers for High Sierra (both old and current chips) so I don't know if there are still issues with the Apple drivers. The Nvidia drivers work very well.
    The only other issue I have experienced is APFS which still has not come of age.
    My advice, would be to do some more research, but it is a fairly mature stable operating system now.

3. MarkC426 macrumors 6502a

Isn't a RAW image file a standard, irrespective of your OS version?
    It is more related to the software your using surely, I have been viewing RAW files since my G5.

4. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, I'm struggling to find more info at the mo but will keep looking. Good to hear that fixes have been made for a number of things though.

No, RAW files are camera specific and software needs to be updated to be able to use them. Even programs like Lightroom and photoshop need updates to accept RAWs from new cameras. I can of course convert them to adobe DNG files but I'd rather just be able to use the RAW files.

5. MarkC426 macrumors 6502a

Wow thanks, I didn’t know that......shows how old my camera is ;)

6. campyguy macrumors 68040

Just a thought, it's my solution for specific OS needs. I've the same and opposite issue, being "stuck" with HS on the 5 new iMac Pros I bought for office and personal use but still needing to run proprietary SW that will not work on HS and a few Mac Pros in one of my office needing to run SW that requires HS. Addressed the issue by using Parallels Desktop, QED - loading VMs with El Capitan/Sierra/Win 10 gets that solution we need and the VMs run very smoothly. I set up a "stock" unmodified VM for each OS container with a desired "state", then archive it (I still have archive copies of XP Pro and Snow Leopard that work just fine in PD). Copying a VM takes under a minute, add it to PD on a PC or Mac, we're up and running in under 5 minutes - HS takes about 10 seconds to boot on a Mac Pro and about the same time on a late-2013 rMBP (15", dGPU) with El Cap still on it).

7. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don’t think it’s a software compatibility issue I’m faced with, more that the OS causes GPU issues causing noticable slowing down.

8. campyguy macrumors 68040

On that note I'd agree but for one workflow modification on all of my Macs and in all of the VMs - the VMs are loaded in a Standard User account with all iCloud synching turned off and the work in the VMs also have specific workflows done in Standard User accounts with all iCloud synching turned off, also no email applications are open (we have iPads on a separate network pinging for email so staying updated is a non-issue). The amount of paging/swapping/caching by iCloud and Windows equivalents plus the caching of emails/Spotlight can really fetter a computer's performance. I've got 2012 Mini Servers updated with Samsung 850 Pro SSDs running VMs and the work done in them is like real time - but they too have all non-essential services turned off - reducing the amount of pinging the internet really speeds up a Mac's performance. This morning I was using PS 5.5 (still my favorite version) in El Capitan in PD on my iMP with a Wacom Tablet, smooth as warm butter.

PD has a 14-day demo, download the HS installer but quit it once it loads, PD loads the installer app without issue, give it a try. You've got nothing to lose but a bit of time - drag it to the Trash if it's a dog...Cheers.

9. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don’t pretend to fully understand all of this tbh, but if you have an OS that’s causing a problem with the GPU how would creating a VM bypass this?
    --- Post Merged, Apr 15, 2018 ---
    Ive finally found the thread I was referring to, this is what made me steer away from high Sierra initially.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/should-i-upgrade-to-high-sierra-for-photo-editing.2083689/

10. campyguy macrumors 68040

No worries. I did pore through the above thread but that's not a concern for me or my company's work. Primarily, I work only with OS's and hardware certified by my SW vendors, IOW if they don't test and certify a hardware/OS combination I don't upgrade an OS or swap hardware - keeping my billable production optimized is my goal.

On my end, when "iCloud" came out a few years or so ago I noted that performance of our Macs and PCs (with that iCloud Control Panel installed) tanked, big time. I make one change to any computer configuration at a time so I can put my finger on the one issue. VMs help with this. On pretty much any computer connected to "the internet", that connection is the bottleneck - eliminate the bottleneck, QED. The resource killers on your Mac with iCloud "turned on" are Mail, Safari bookmarks, Photos Agent (this one along can spike to over 300% of CPU usage and can stay pegged near 100% for an entire session), and iCloud Drive (which is still buggy). Just look at your Library>Mail>v4/v5>MailData folder - all of that caching along can cut your Mac's I/O performance.

I work with AutoCAD, have for almost 30 years. It is a very configurable beast, and it's relevant here. AutoCAD is an app that is installed locally, on a hard drive, and communicates with a license server (to make sure you have a legal copy). It's extensible, just like your Mac's OS. It "talks" with multiple sources simultaneously - a source (or base) file, XREF files, a license server, a printer/plotter, and any other networked computers that may be linking to the base file (if it's on a network) or the XREF (externally-referenced) file(s). The production killer here - here's the key - like Photoshop, AutoCAD uses proxy/swap files and both applications allow for isolating Every. Single. Workflow. Element. in a workflow. I used Windows Explorer once to watch how AutoCAD deluged a hard drive with swap files during a simple drawing session - the drive was choking on trying to process the work, create and reference swap files, communicate with the several different network feeds, and put a graphical representation of the work on the connected displays. That was 15 years ago. Now, on top of that, add in email/Photos/messaging/etc./ad nauseam that are both creating their own caches AND verification server(s) - and cram it all through one bus on your computer. Ugh.

Read though the posts here in this forums about slow interfaces, laggity laggity lag, and issues with OSes. I have none of those issues, and I'm frequently working with only a cellular connection at one of my field offices. In my experience, all of iCloud's I/O is killing their performance. My first proof was by using a 2009 iMac with a 7200RPM spinner but I've born out the same postulate to my business partners with zippy SSDs. So, no, it's not High Sierra or any other OS issue - it's all of the added features that need to be turned on/off that can kill a production workflow. I interface with my business Apple/Microsoft/Autodesk reps, they're aware of most of the bottlenecks and they'll offer much of the same advice that I'm alluding to here. Turn off unnecessary services - a no-brainer, as is offloading services to another computer or VM. I have that Mini in my home office, it's got 5 different renderers installed - I drop a file (AutoCAD DXF, MicroStation DGN, or video project) into a folder/directory and it takes the load off my main Mac.

iCloud is a mainstream sync service. iCloud is not a professional-level sync service. iCloud can seriously hamper the productivity of a business computer, and...

What I like about VMs is that its user can completely isolate it from every other service (including "the internet"). You can put that VM on a fast SSD RAID and connect it to your Mac/PC to GSD (Get Shi..., er, Stuff, Done). I use two Samsung T5 500GB SSDs as my swap/cache/project/VM swap file drive, with the two T5 drives mounted via two USB ports - but they're configured in a RAID 0 configuration, so they're seen as one 1TB drive by my Mac or PC; this "drive" talks to my VM and rendering/processing is done in a fraction of time, for two reasons. This RAID 0 drive communicates through 2 different USB buses AND it carries all of the swap files generated by what app I'm using and utilizing a different bus than the bus that serves my internal hard drive. My throughput on this "drive" is pretty zippy, got the tip from Barefeats several years ago on this bit and made a few tweaks of my own.

Over and out. Cheers.

11. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for taking the time to write such a lengthy reply, much appreciated :)