Am I a criminal? Hard Drive swap, previous OS works in new machine

Discussion in 'macOS' started by PhilW, Aug 27, 2009.

1. PhilW macrumors newbie

I've just upgraded the hard drives of my two Macs.

New (blank) HD into MacBook [then Time Machine restore of Leopard] >>> Old (OS 10.5) MacBook HD into Mac Mini (OS 10.4)

Basically, the Mac Mini was running 10.4 Tiger. I inserted the MacBook's 10.5 Leopard HD into my Mac Mini, turned on the Mini to begin a fresh install of Tiger to my surprise the Mini was running Leopard. I had expected an error message.

Firstly, I didn't think this was possible. How has it worked?
    Secondly, is was I have done legitimate? How long can I run the same version of Leopard on my Mac Mini and MacBook at the same time?
    Thirdly, should I just shut up, keep quiet and get on using them both?

Sensible help appreciated.

2. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

STOP! You violated the law! Pay the court a fine, or serve your sentence.

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Why would you think it wouldn't work?
    No, it's not legitimate as you should have 2 10.5 licenses.
    You can run them as long as you want, Steve Jobs is not going to send some men round to break your knee caps.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Each installation of OS X contains the drivers to support all previous models of compatible hardware.

There are a few games you can play like running the HD2600XT under Tiger or running Tiger on a 2008 Mac Pro as well. I made the guides on those subjects if you're interested.

5. PhilW thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't think it would work because (as I understand computers) during a fresh install an operating system builds itself depending on the components of the machine, so when you put a hard drive from one machine into another the OS will look for components/serial numbers/values that simply aren't there.

When I put the MacBook Leopard CDs (DVDs?) into the Mac Mini a few weeks back I got an error message telling me that 10.5 would not install on my that machine.

Anyway, I'm looking for help or advice.

6. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

What help or advice are you looking for that you haven't got?

An OS X install contains the files necessary for any compatible Mac. If the drive fits in another mac, and it's compatible it'll run.

You got an error because you can't use install discs on different hardware. All the files are there, it just won't let you go through the process.

7. MKCLLNS macrumors member

8. PhilW thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you think I'll be ok upgrading to Snow Leopard without a Leopard CD for the Mac Mini? I've only got a Leopard CD the MacBook.

9. fishmoose macrumors 68000

You can but you need to do a clean install but it's illegal.