Am I a light user? Or do I need to get a higher level of macbook pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by provoloney, Sep 5, 2009.

1. provoloney macrumors newbie

Going to buy a (15" macbook pro). This is what I do on my computer: read and write e-mails, surf the internet extensively, watch videos, use itunes, and type documents, scan and store lots of documents). Use many applications simultaneously (i.e., internet, ical, email, web browser, maybe quicktime, etc.).

In the past I've had a macbook which was nice, but it's a couple of years old and the webbrowser feels a little slow, videos don't work as well, etc. So I'm thinking of getting a macbook pro this time.

I'm thinking of getting the lowest level of macbook pro (15"), but I'm wondering if it will have enough power for me, given that I sometimes am running multiple things at once and thus maybe I need more memory or something. The guy at the macstore says even the macbook pro is overkill for me, but I thought I would check in with you guys.

2. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

You will have more than enough power, get the matte also

3. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

+1 on the matte option if you plan to use it with sunlight in the room during the day. the new glass panel is a reflection magnet sadly.

the base model MBP will fulfill all your needs nicely.

4. calsci macrumors 6502

calsci

They have a 13" macbook pro. Just curious why do you think you need a 15" screen over the 13". well matte aside is there any other reason.

5. creon macrumors 6502

The Glass panel isn't bad at all. I love it and it it very crisp and classy.

Do you have the glossy screen? The reflections are not enough for me not to buy a glossy and unlike most people in these forums who seem to lust over the matte...I'm just not a fan.

6. Gatteau macrumors 6502a

I'm yet to see the Matte screen in person, nevertheless, I don't mind the Glossy screen at all.

7. dvin macrumors member

i use to swear up and down that i wanted a matte screen. after buying my MBP with the glossy screen, i wouldn't go back. i love it!

8. Vster macrumors 6502

I completely agree here. I bought my MBP before they offered the matte option and I love the glossy. But its all personal preference, just check it out at the apple store.

9. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Even though that model is called a "Pro" it's really a consumer Mac notebook. It has the Nvidia GPU instead of the dedicated graphics. Don't get me wrong it will probably be excellent for what you do.

I am going to strongly disagree with those advising you to buy anti-glare displays. For videos and entertainment use the glossy display provides a much better picture. In addition the color gamut is much much better in the glossy display. I would advise you to go into the store and check them out yourself.

Some graphics pros like matte displays, but most typical users prefer the glass display.

Other than that, you can upgrade the RAM down the road up to 8 GB. Wait til the price drops and it will probably add a few years of use for you.

Get what looks and feels best to you. All of the Macs are powerful enough for your needs so appearance should be your preference. Good luck and best wishes with your new Mac.

10. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I do what you do on a mac mini. the only time it slows is when ripping dvd's pr using parallels.

11. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

Base model is more than enough

If you get out with any regularity, get the matte screen. If not, any kind of sunlight or office lighting will give you really bad reflections.

As my title says, get the base model and upgrade the ram and hdd. This will serve you for quite some time.

12. iCantwait macrumors 65816

iCantwait

if you are like me (our needs sound similar) and you plan on keeping it for many years, 4-5 then i would recommend the 2.66. I had an iBook G4 for four years and although it is still going it is not suited to current life.

Althought via tax this only cost me $au1000~

13. provoloney thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone for your input. I currently have the 13" macbook, which is ok, but prior to that I used to have a 15" laptop. At the time I felt the 15" may be a bit too big, but now I kind of miss it, especially now that there really isn't a huge weight difference between the macbook and macbook pro.