Am I able to connect an iphone 4 to a 1st gen Macbook w/2 USB1.1 ports?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by theVidVid, Aug 12, 2013.

1. theVidVid macrumors newbie

Hi all,

So I have an iphone 4 with iOS 6.1.3 and a 1st generation Macbook running OSX 10.5.8 w/2 USB 1.1 ports.

I have recently been having connectivity issues when connecting my iphone 4 to my itunes. I tried multiple usb cables, but after reading through the threads, I realized that I can't connect my iphone to itunes because I don't have any USB 2.0 ports. Is there any way to connect my iphone to itunes using USB 1.1 ports or am I just out of luck?

Thanks!

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

All MacBooks have USB 2.0 ports. USB 2.0 has been standard since the iBook/PowerBook days.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You don't NEED 2.0 ports, even if you only had 1.1, which as has been said already, you don't.

I sync my iPhone 5 to an ancient PC with 1.1 ports and it works just fine. Transferred 18GB of video over it at one point.

Apple says the requirement is 2.0, but I've never had that issue from my 5th Gen iPod Nano and my wife's Shuffle, to a 3GS and now my iPhone 5.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It should work fine like others said above.
    From the sounds of it you might have a hardware issue with your usb ports on that old MacBook.

6. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Wherever u got that information, as already universally replied, is WRONG.

So ur problem is somewhere else.

Dumb question: Do the USB port(s) work for other things?

7. theVidVid thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone for their input. The USB ports definitely work. I've used both of them to charge other devices (such as a PS3 controller). I can also charge my iPhone 4 but it just won't connect to ITunes. Heck, it even connects to iPhoto.

8. Mrbobb macrumors 601

These only say u got power, nothing about passing data through them.

Not sure exactly what this means but OK moving on assuming USB ports work normally.

May want to closely check compatibility between OSX version vs iTunes version vs IOS version.

9. theVidVid, Aug 13, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2013

theVidVid thread starter macrumors newbie

What I meant by that was that I can connect my iPhone 4 to iPhoto and be able to access and add photos taken from my phone to my hard drive. In other words, data transfer works in iPhoto but not in iTunes.

I have iOS 6.1.3 for my iPhone 4, OSX 10.5.8 for my MacBook, and a 10.6.3 version of iTunes.
    My guess at this point is that the current iOS 6.1.3 is no longer compatible with my version of iTunes. I do appreciate your input and suggestions.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I have the latest iTunes 11.0.4 installed.
    Sounds like your old system cant update to the latest iTunes in order to recognize and work with ios 6.1.3

11. theVidVid thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there a way to downgrade my iOS, or is it just not worth it? I just want to add some new tunes to my iPhone. Kind of a bummer

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nope, no way to downgrade ios versions since Apple doesn't allow that.
    And I'm assuming you didn't save shsh blobs for that device for older firmware.
    In that case another option would be to sync some stuff in using another computer that runs the latest iTunes version.

13. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Sounds like the perfect excuse to upgrade that Macbook to me. ;)

14. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I thought iOS 6.1.3 was compatible with iTunes 10.6.3. It works for my 3Gs and old eMac just fine. A bit slow, but it works.