Am I able to use a router with Verizon FiOS (1 Mac and 1 PC)?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by morgothaod, Sep 16, 2010.

1. morgothaod macrumors regular

I'm thinking about getting FiOS when I move out and I just want to know if I can have internet on both my Mac and PC. How do I install the router and what do I need to do on both computers to get them hooked up to the internet? Also, will I have to pay an additional fee to have an extra computer on FiOS? I'm not that knowledgeable when it comes to computers so I would appreciate replies in laymans terms or better yet step by step instructions.

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

I've had FIOS for 3 years and Verizon installs the router. It has both ethernet and wi-fi. It's no problem to hook up Mac and PC both. I had up to 5 computers running on FIOS at one time with no issues. If you're in the same room as the router you can plug in via ethernet. Otherwise use wi-fi. Verizon will help you with the initial setup of one computer. Once it's hooked up the others just need to plug in to the router.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Just plug in your additional computer into the FiOS router.

4. bamf macrumors 6502

My U-Verse is OK, but man would I love to have FiOS.

5. JerseyBill macrumors member

I have had FIOS for a few years now and have an iMac, my Macbook Pro and two PC laptops all simultaneously using the WiFi - and get better speeds than most hotel rooms and public hot spots.

No special configuration or setup. Its fast, never crashes, and oh so stable.

I have never looked back to Comcast internet (cable modem) - which was often down several times a week and so darn erratic.

6. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

i wish i could get fios.....

im still stuck with at&t download speed was recently uped to 3mbps :D

7. tjb1 macrumors 68000

At my house I still have dial-up...at 21.6kbps so all of you hush :) and yes you can hook anything to the router...computer, gaming consoles, ipod, ipad, phones that take wifi like iphone, droids, htc.

8. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

Whats dial up :confused:

9. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Verizon includes an Actiontec router with FiOS. If you want to use your own router, you can try asking them to activate the ethernet port on the ONT.

10. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Internet through telephone line...

11. kurzz macrumors 6502

kurzz

Our condolences. :( I suppose 1kbps is better than nothing.

12. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

how archaic.

i was jk btw.

13. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Well I wasn't sure since it is dinosaur technology and these companies shouldn't be allowed to upgrade to fiber optics until every area has at least dsl...

14. riverwater macrumors member

I have used Verizon FIOS for more than 4 years, absolutely love it, lighting fast. I use a Linksys router instead of the router Verizon provide to me, work fine. I have one desktop, a VOIP phone connect to router via cat6 cables, I have 3 laptops and one MBP all connect via wireless. No problem at all. :D

15. andymodem macrumors 6502a

You can either use their crappy router and plug both machines into it, or use whatever router you want. Might have to do some wiring depending on how the tech hooks up the ONT if you want to use your own.

16. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

What backwater third world country still uses dial up and afford Apple stuff?

17. tjb1 macrumors 68000

18. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

That could also be DSL, so that's a pretty bad description :D

19. MonkeyET macrumors 6502

I have FIOS as well. I do not feel their provided wireless is worthwhile. I switched to a Netgear router soon after signing up and mirrored another one to put in my home theater system. Worked much better, and had better online experience with COD4.

I have recently upgraded to Airport Extreme and have to say it is even better with the dual band. Running an iMac, MBP, PS3, Wii, iPod Touch, and the occasional guest computer with NO issues.

My recommendation is to verify their pricing for the different speed bands. Sometimes you can gain quite a bit of speed for only a few dollars more per month. The first level is the most expensive per speed measure (within reason as the top tier is quite expensive).