Am I allowed to return & switch?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by timotheezz, Sep 28, 2012.

1. timotheezz macrumors regular

I preordered my iPhone 5 from AT&T and it arrived on 9/21. I've been grandfathered into unlimited since the original iPhone 1, so I'm able to have "unlimited" LTE with throttling that starts at 5gb rather than 3gb for non-LTE plans.

I'm now realizing that there is Verizon LTE around my suburban area, but no AT&T LTE. I'm willing to forego my "unlimited" since I use about 6-8GB a month anyway, and I end up being throttled for the last week or 2 of every month. Plus, I want to be able to tether to other devices as well, which AT&T "unlimited" plan won't let you do (no FaceTime either, but I don't care).

Can I return my AT&T iPhone and switch to Verizon? Doesn't AT&T have a 2 week return policy?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I believe ATT like VZW has a 30 day return if you're not happy, so you certainly within your rights to return it.

3. timotheezz thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply. If I decide to return to AT&T, will I be able to "unsign" my contract, and go back to how it was before with my iPhone 4 off contract?

4. oplix macrumors 65816

oplix

Yes, if you return within 30 days you are voiding the new contract. However and grandfathered plans will not be available. So if you cancel your current unlimited plan you won't be able to get it back.

5. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I'm also considering the same, going from my unl. individual at&t plan to a share plan on VZ.
    Let us know how it goes and the process you went through.

6. timotheezz, Sep 28, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2012

timotheezz thread starter macrumors regular

I just contacted AT&T, and they said I have 30 days to return the phone, minus 10% restock fee, and I would be able to go back to my old contract state (which was unlimited, off contract). Not sure if I'll be able to get back my unlimited, as a previous poster just noted, but it won't matter as I think I'll be switching to Verizon anyway.

Right now I pay $97 a month for unlimited 4G LTE data and 450 minutes or whatever on AT&T. I use about 6-7 GB a month, so I'm throttled towards the end of the month.

I just found out that my work offers a 22% discount so I can go to Verizon, and get an 6GB data plan, and it comes out to $96.

Probably the best way to go. Too bad I won't be able to talk and surf at the same time (jk, I hardly ever did that).