Am I Being Neurotic?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rustyosaurus, Oct 23, 2012.

1. rustyosaurus macrumors regular

So, after waiting a very long time, I received my iphone 5 today. I opened it expecting to see scratches or scuffs and I was pleasantly surprised. It is flawless (haven't set it up yet so I don't know about the software side) with the exception of a small, nick on the side. It is most apparent because the nick is light silver in contrast to the rest of the dark case.

My question is, am I neurotic for wanting to return it? Are others swapping out their iphones for nicks as small as this?

I guess when I spend almost $800 (64 GB + applecare), I expect it to be perfect but I was curious what other people thought.

[​IMG]

2. VandyChem2009 macrumors 6502a

VandyChem2009

If it's going to ruin your life you should see if they will replace it. By ruin your life I mean if you are going to spend your time obsessing over the scuff instead of enjoying the phone. I'm pretty sure Apple does have a 30 day no questions asked return period so you can just return it. Just be cautious, if there is nothing else wrong with the phone you might want to just keep it. You could end up getting a phone that has a ton of things really wrong with it.

3. numberforty1 macrumors 6502

numberforty1

I would exchange it, but I am quite meticulous & very careful with my phones.
    I resell them without ANY scratches & keep a case on.

Will you keep it perfect? If not you'll just get more nicks. And you can't keep exchanging it for every small ding.

Still you paid a lot of money, so do what makes YOU happy.

4. Headphone Jack macrumors newbie

Meh, looks fine to me but you could ask for a replacement if it really bothers you.

IMO, the little nicks and scratches kinda add to the personality of my device, just like a pair of nicely faded jeans. As long as they aren't on the front panel of course :D

5. rustyosaurus thread starter macrumors regular

i would not try to exchange it if i caused the nick. the nick came fresh out of the box. i treat my phones very well. right out of the box they go in a case with films on the back and front.

6. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

Sure get another Chinese worker yelled at and made to miss his lunch hour :) <kidding>

I think i'd live with it. Even if you case the product its not going to stay pristine. I discovered the smallest dent that would not even show up on a camera.

7. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

Since you spent the time and effort to post your query, I would suggest that you afford yourself an exchange and peace of mind.

8. justareader macrumors member

I would return it

I just believe that Apple owes us the perfection for the bucks that they charge. There is no room for compromise at all as the monies that I paid to Apple had no scuff on them.

This is just me

9. rustyosaurus thread starter macrumors regular

do you mean exchange or genius 'white box swap'? i doubt i can go the store and exchange it since they probably have to reset my rebate status? i only get a partial rebate so i had to buy at apple online. i could not buy in store because they couldn't process it.

10. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

I meant to exchange for an unblemished unit in whatever proper manner which that may be accomplish that.

11. viperGTS macrumors 65816

12. Myiphone7 macrumors 6502a

Let me tell you something my friend, that nick is not that tiny. If I saw it on mine coming right out the box, it'd go back.

----------

Agreed. This man has said everything I've been trying to say on here. People are paying $700-$1000+ for these phones with apple care, accessories like cases, extra cables, adapters, Bluetooth keyboards, headphones, speaker systems, etc.

It's not just the price of the phone - it's also all the most you spend for the phone.

If the complaint is Siri doesn't put my iPhone 5 into airplane mode at night, well, that's what you get for the price (for now).

But a dent? A scratch? A nick?

Totally unacceptable.

13. Ahonen macrumors 6502

Ahonen

Tiny little scuffs are one thing. That is an actual dent. That just isn't right.

14. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

I would use it, after using mine I have a few of those marks

15. Hpye macrumors 6502

16. michaelmac3 macrumors member

Idk.. with people's luck they've had with replacements, you gotta decide if having a tiny nick which you will probably cover with a case and not see is worth risking the possibility of getting a jankier replacement.

17. bwhli macrumors 6502a

bwhli

18. Bahroo macrumors 68000

I had anodization that was slightly unfinished by the black bar, (the 4 antenna lines) and i went to go replace it and the Genius was like, " usually you would be paying $220 dollars to replace this because its cosmetic but we will replace it for you this time only" ... In my head i was like "are you ****ing kidding me Hahahaha" that was complete garbage but at least he replaced the phone so