Am I being unreasonable?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mikeydeezy, Oct 16, 2012.

1. mikeydeezy, Oct 16, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2012

mikeydeezy macrumors 6502a

mikeydeezy

(Black & Slate 64GB AT&T model)

So I discovered that I had quite a bit of specks of dust under my camera lens as well as about a inch long piece of fabric coiled within the camera housing. I made a genius appt yesterday and the tech replaced my equipment after bringing it in the back to examine. Mind you my phone had no physical flaws, dings dents or any other assorted "gate" issues.

I get my replacement and go about the replacement business and I look the device over and see a long maybe 1 1/2 inch silver streak above the lightning port. Like someone took a paper clip and tried to draw "~" on the phone. And the right corner of the phone feels like it's been grinded and is rough to the touch. Also the power button rattles like I have a loose Tic-tac in my phone. Once your finger is on the button there's no rattle. So it's not the typical camera noise.

I turn to the "genius" and say "Hey...I just noticed these flaws on my replacement". She takes the phone and goes "This phones are inspected and are within Apple's tolerances. I will not be replacing this phone again."

Very upsetting. She went from 0 to 60 in the aggression and hid behind that statement.

Now here's my issue with this all:
    I'm aware of scuffgate. I'm also aware of the insane people who've replaced their devices 10 times for one speck that's more grey than black on their bezel. I think that's crazy too. But scratches and a rough edge on a 'new' phone? On a phone that I treated with kid gloves only to be replaced with what looks like someone elses phone who didn't give a damn.

I made another appointment today at a different location but I'm prepared to just return my phone to AT&T if they aren't willing to help me with the replacement.

Do you all think I'm overreacting? Thanks.

UPDATE:

A happy ending.

I get there and I'm told to wait. I sit for maybe 15 minutes before the worlds kindest genius comes out. He said he read my case notes and already had his manager to approve a swap. He stated that typically they are reluctant to swap for purely cosmetic reason but that "personally we want our customers to get what they paid for".

He even went as far to say "you hired me the moment you bought your phone to help".

Once he grabs the white box replacement he says "I'm going to break a rule for you. I'll open this one now before I scan it so you can look it over first." We check it out. Not a single visible defect.

We do the paperwork and shake hands. He says "find any defects affecting functionality and we can take care of you".

A+ service, Apple.

2. lyutin macrumors regular

You are not being unreasonable-especially since you paid so much for the damn phone. But as far as I was told (by apple staff) after you get a replacement you cannot return the phone for a refund.

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

They got burned by too many anal retentive people who keep replacing the replacements.

4. mikeydeezy thread starter macrumors 6502a

mikeydeezy

Thanks for not being nasty or attacking me for my frustration but...in what way do you believe I'm making a big deal over nothing?

5. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

No you are not overreacting, it's your right as a paying costumer to get a brand new looking phone especially since you paid top dollar for premium apple hardware

6. mikeydeezy thread starter macrumors 6502a

mikeydeezy

That's true. Some people freak out over the smallest things. Perhaps I'm one of them. But I feel the extent of physical abnormalities on my replacement caused not by the owner but by the process of building/rebuilding the phone shouldn't be acceptable.

If my genius today isn't willing to help in your guys experience will asking for a manager help? I've never had to escalate an issue before.

7. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

I dont think you are being unreasonable, but did the dust in the camera lens impact the pictures? I probably wouldnt have noticed that issue unless it truly impacted the picture quality.

8. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

seems like you know exactly what you need to do. Personally, it would annoy me and I would do the same. I also would just use a 4S before I went through the game of trying to get the perfect phone until the issues are fixed. My phone was great out of the box, but I would have no problem using something else if after my first return I still got a lemon.

9. mikeydeezy, Oct 16, 2012

mikeydeezy thread starter macrumors 6502a

mikeydeezy

It's funny because I offered my mother my old iPhone 4s since I used her upgrade for the 5.

Worst case scenario I may use my early-upgrade and get a 4S and just let her upgrade remain available until the 5S comes out.

It sucks because I love the 5.

10. Appleseeds macrumors regular

Number 1, I don't think your being ridiculous.
    Number 2 if you are within your 1 st 30 days (if you purchased the iPhone from AT&T) you should be taking the phone to AT&T, anyone including AT&T tells you different they are wrong. Getting a shrink wrapped in box new iPhone.
    Number 3. Now that you have had it replaced at Apple with a Genius Bar replacement. Your imei and serial number no longer match the box or receipt from AT&T. Now you are no longer able to return the iPhone for a refund without what will probably be a huge hassek at AT&T.

11. mikeydeezy thread starter macrumors 6502a

mikeydeezy

I had nothing to compare it to but I did notice my 5 had more trouble focusing than my moms 4S. Not sure if it's because the camera focuses differently or what.

12. QuasarZ macrumors member

I went through 3 phones due to horrible signal and data connectivity. Apple said there was a problem and replaced them. On this last one I do have 3 evenly spaced scratches over the mic. I have a case and my data works so I'm keeping it. After seeing all these posts my phone could be worse.

13. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

I feel like dust in a cheap camera lens is inevitable. Focus I believe is software. I'd keep that phone if I were you if that was the only issue. I wish I could get a phone with no scratches and would gladly trade your problem for mine h

14. fibrizo macrumors 6502

fibrizo

You know, You had me along with you all the way up until this statement lol, it made me think "First world problems" lol

Though on the serious side if you are particular about your device, it would probably be a good idea to thoroughly inspect the replacements in store to ensure that they don't even try to give you a flawed one. It's probably much easier to get them to grab a different one at that point. I might say something like "I'm very particular about the appearance of my X apple product, could I take a look at that replacement really quick etc"

15. mikeydeezy thread starter macrumors 6502a

mikeydeezy

Geez that sounds pathetic! I removed that line. I hope you know what I meant by that lol.

But I'll try to plead my case. Hopefully they aren't like "that scratch? suck it up bro lol c ya later!".

Because I'll feel very uncomfortable to say "What! Can you grab a manager?!"

16. Mbman81 macrumors member

Suggestion: call apple care and complain. They will setup the exchange w the Genius Bar. They may ask for photo so be prepared. Apple care orders > local store orders I believe.

17. propalitet macrumors member

Normally I would say yes, you are. Some minor stuff is not a problem (the lens thing is for sure). But looking now at the apple website, because I am ordering one myself soon, I would say, no, you are not overreacting.

They are advertising it as the best, most advancement phone, with sophisticated, precision design (just go and look again what all words they use), and put a premium price on it. Now if I order a Leica, I expect it to be flawless, because that's what you pay for, high quality, very expensive thing.Since apple markets it that way, and prices it that way, they should deliver.

But I agree that some people are overreacting, if I find a tiny discoloration somewhere, I for sure won't bother, but in your case, I would ask for replacement too, just out of principle if nothing else.

18. Mbman81 macrumors member

On a side note: I am keeping mine even tho has a couple digs. I figure something is bound to happen in a few months (camera die, battery get worse, mic die, etc) and I will swap it out then. By then there should not be any issues w scratches.

Second note: have apple care note it now that it is scratched and then just don't go in for the exchange for a couple months.

19. mikeydeezy thread starter macrumors 6502a

mikeydeezy

Forgot to mention this. I called and the AppleCare rep suggested I go back to that store and essentially try again.

But I refused (while saying okay to the rep) to embarass myself by coming back again to that location to complain after being told no already.

20. thenumbersrbad macrumors 6502

thenumbersrbad

You'll probably be okay at another store

But why didn't you ask for a manager before you left the first store?

21. mikeydeezy thread starter macrumors 6502a

mikeydeezy

Trust me buddy if I could undo everything I've done and still have my old dusty unit I would have. I'd take a flawless phone w/ dust in the camera than a clear camera unit with physical etches.

22. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The $1 million Leica confocal microscope we have in our lab didn't arrive flawless either and needed a boatload of service calls :cool:

23. kalexn, Oct 16, 2012

kalexn macrumors 6502

Most definitely and this makes me so mad because those people ruined it for people who really do have a bad phone.

24. mikeydeezy thread starter macrumors 6502a

mikeydeezy

You know I suppose I've just never had a bad experience at an Apple store and I was pretty bummed/upset and I didn't consider all of my options until I got home.