Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unregbaron

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
It needn't have full functionality but could be a way for PC users to get a taste for MAC benefits...

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
unregbaron said:
It needn't have full functionality but could be a way for PC users to get a taste for MAC benefits...
Apple will never make a computer without "full functionality." That's the whole point--it "just works." Since there are so many different, inconsistent standards with windows PCs, it would be impossible to port it over and have it "just work."

I think a better strategy is to port some of the iApps over to the PC--which they've already done with iTunes. Maybe they could try this with iPhoto as well. Eventually people will want to get the "full experience" and move over to Macs.

unregbaron

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
wordmunger said:
Apple will never make a computer without "full functionality." That's the whole point--it "just works." Since there are so many different, inconsistent standards with windows PCs, it would be impossible to port it over and have it "just work."

I think a better strategy is to port some of the iApps over to the PC--which they've already done with iTunes. Maybe they could try this with iPhoto as well. Eventually people will want to get the "full experience" and move over to Macs.

I take your point but OSXlite as a desktop experience for PCers would be so great and it's a shame so few experience it...

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
wordmunger said:

iTunes have iPod - so even if people didn't switch, apple can make money off of iPods. there's no such hardware equivalents to work with the rest of iApps. so they are unlikely to be ported.

apple is first and foremost a hardware company. software and OS, as wonder as they are, are developed to sell more Mac hardware. apple won't port anything to other platforms unless it would increase Mac hardware sales. yes, a few may switch after getting a taste of iApp but not enough to make up for the effort and i imagine more won't even really recognize that it's an apple software - just a nice app and switching wouldn't even cross their minds.

Savage Henry

macrumors 65816
wordmunger said:

Bearing in mind the many Wintels I've used in my life, none , and I really mean none, of them had as greater integrated hardware to OS functinality than my Macs.

To quote the wordmunger, it just works.

So stop being silly.

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
If Apple make an x86 version of OS X there will be no reason to get a mac. Mac hardware is Apple's bread and butter. IT makes the real money - not software, iTMS or even ipods.

Besides writing for x86 PCs is a pain because of all the possible hardware variants.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
jxyama said:
iTunes have iPod - so even if people didn't switch, apple can make money off of iPods. there's no such hardware equivalents to work with the rest of iApps. so they are unlikely to be ported.

apple is first and foremost a hardware company. software and OS, as wonder as they are, are developed to sell more Mac hardware. apple won't port anything to other platforms unless it would increase Mac hardware sales. yes, a few may switch after getting a taste of iApp but not enough to make up for the effort and i imagine more won't even really recognize that it's an apple software - just a nice app and switching wouldn't even cross their minds.
Good point--they should only port apps if they're selling hardware. Maybe what they should do is make an external DVD burner and port over iDVD. Heck, that might not be a bad idea on the Mac side--a lot of people with older macs might appreciate it.

encro

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2002
bendigo.victoria.au
unregbaron said:
I take your point but OSXlite as a desktop experience for PCers would be so great and it's a shame so few experience it...

at the end of the day it really makes negligible difference.

If you're that keen on checking out a Macintosh you are going to drop into an Apple retailer or find what you need another way.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
wordmunger said:
Good point--they should only port apps if they're selling hardware. Maybe what they should do is make an external DVD burner and port over iDVD. Heck, that might not be a bad idea on the Mac side--a lot of people with older macs might appreciate it.

yeah, that would be great, though i am a bit skeptical that it would ever happen. with the iDVD hack, i am now thinking about buying a DVD burner, but i'm afraid of future iDVDs not working with the hack...

when i bought my PB a year or so ago, it was $1800 with the combo drive. that was a lot of money for me and i just didn't want to pay $200 up front to burn DVDs. i didn't know if the industry would settle on DVD-R or DVD+R (i still don't know, actually) and i didn't know that iMovie and iDVD are so good that i'd become wanting to burn DVDs... the best option for me now would be an apple supported ext. DVD burner...

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
Time for the Apple mantra again. Repeat after me: Apple makes hardware. Hardware is what Apple makes.

OS X, iApps, iPod, iTunes Music Store--they're all designed to enhance your experience on their computers and attract more people to their computers.

If you could run OS X on a $400 Dell then you wouldn't have much reason to buy Apple's computer.

If you want OS X, get a Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.