Am I better off Ordering or Checking the Store Every Day

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by robjulo, Oct 8, 2013.

1. robjulo, Oct 8, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2013

robjulo macrumors 6502a

Looking to get a 5s, space grey, 64gb ATT model. Any thoughts on whether I am better off ordering online through Apple or playing roulette and checking the store inventory daily?

Checking the local store so far has never yielded that model in stock.

2. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I ordered release day and finally received it yesterday. My brother was lucky enough to find one at radio shack a week after release.

3. sleeks macrumors member

I'm in the same boat. If I can't find one by the end of the day on Wednesday, I'm ordering online. Chasing the phone has gotten stupid.

Where are you located? If you are in Chicagoland, I know a store that has your phone in stock.

4. whitmanjg macrumors member

whitmanjg

If you are vigilant about checking the inventory often you will probably find something in stock sooner than if you were to order it and wait. It also depends on your location though. For example, I am in NC and I have seen even golds pop up every few days or so, but it sounds like people in more concentrated areas are not seeing much (if any) stock.

Then again, if you just dont want to invest the time and frustration in checking inventory, trying to check out and possibly losing your reservation from not being fast enough, then ordering and waiting will definitely save you the hassle.

But keep in mind that it looks like a lot of people who ordered on release day still haven't received their phones. You can imagine what that means for anyone ordering today, it could be a while.

5. kiantech macrumors regular

6. Lukkee24 macrumors 6502a

I've ordered online but I've still been checking stores in London. If I find one in the store, I can just cancel the online order after.

7. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

It's just a phone, relax. It's not the end of the world if you don't get the oh so special iPhone immediately.

8. saud0488 macrumors 6502

Why not use one of these?

http://iphone-check.herokuapp.com

Seems you want one of the less popular models (AT&T anyways), so try that. As soon as you see a local store has it, checkout at store.apple.com for instore pickup.

9. boobie12 macrumors 6502

Yep agree with the guy above me. In store lick up was much quicker for me. Cancelled my order and got it there. Especially you want a space gray that seems like the easiest option to get. You can also try ordering from AT&T. Hear people are getting there space gray pretty quick from AT&T directly

10. Jen71dtc macrumors newbie

I'm sure it will vary from city to city and carrier to carrier, but I finally gave up on the in-store pickup and ordered Saturday evening, 10/5. My order switched from "Processing" to "Preparing for Shipment" this afternoon. No estimated ship date yet, but I was glad to be done with the near-misses on the website every day. This is for a Sprint Space Grey 64GB. Good luck!

11. TheKDub macrumors member

I originally put in an order from apple.com for 32gb space grey, and was waiting with an "October" ship date. I was considering waiting in line at the Apple Store near me until I heard that att.com ships faster. So I put in my order on att.com this past Sunday, shipped out on monday and is arriving tomorrow via FedEx. Can't get any faster than that and I didn't have to wake up at 5am now!

I'm not sure about the 64gb availability at att.com but I think at most it'll be 7-10 business days and it'll tell you that beforehand if it is. They had 32gb shipping (grey and silver) within 1-2 business days.