Am I correct that the only way to buy a unlocked phone at launch is to do the apple financing?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mellofello, Sep 11, 2015.

1. mellofello macrumors 65816

I have a big trip abroad coming up in November that would benefit from having a unlocked phone. I am considering doing the att next route and paying it off, but I wouldn't mind just being unlocked from day one.

Sorry if this was covered, but is there any other way then the apple financing to get unlocked phone?

2. spoa94 macrumors 6502a

spoa94

On Apple's website there is an option to do the carrier upgrade program or pay full price. Paying full price will give you an unlocked phone. Safest bet is to just buy the T-Mobile phone as it always comes unlocked.

3. Docd62 macrumors regular

4. flur macrumors 68000

T-Mobile and Verizon will both be unlocked, but there's some confusion about whether or not they are shipping unlocked or if they are unlocked on activation. My understanding is that Apple is claiming they are unlocked on activation but it's common knowledge that TMo's phones are all unlocked and Verizon is required by the FCC to sell unlocked phones.

5. solodogg macrumors 6502

But it doesn't appear there is any way to pre order a Verizon or tmobile phone from Apple's website without having login information for Verizon or T-Mobile. So, that makes those options useless for most.

Why oh why won't they just sell the sim free model on opening day...

6. Docd62 macrumors regular

There was an option to buy an unlocked T-Mobile on the iPhone app before they shut the site down.

7. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

Apple has no login for T-Mobile, so I'm lead to believe you will be able to purchase it without any carrier information. It's been that way for the past few years and I'm not sure why it would change.

I hope it doesn't at least, because that's how I'm planning on getting my 6s and I won't be a happy camper if they require a login.

8. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030