Am I Crazy? It's harder to type on a 3G than on a 1st Gen iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheSpaz, Jan 8, 2009.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I don't know what it is. I have an easier time typing on my 1st gen iPhone than on my 3G. Maybe it's because of the way the iPhone feels in my hand or the narrow-ness of the original iPhone. Anyone else wanna chime in with their thoughts?

2. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Hmm well I can't really say I had this issue when I upgraded but it's plausible. I for one think that typing on the iPod Touch is easier than the iPhones. Who knows. I'm clicking away on my iPhone right now typing this post. Hah. :)

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I've never owned a 1st gen, so I can't contribute anything useful.

I would, however, like to wager a small sum on 'crazy' being the outcome and am eagerly awaiting to see how this thread goes!

4. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

I have seen a few other people say the same on this forum...

5. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I make more mistakes on my 3G for some reason and it makes me mad. Then I tried typing on my 1st gen right after and I was flying right along at my regular speed and typing almost flawlessly. Maybe it's just the difference in how it feels in my hand. I type with 2 thumbs by the way.

6. dborja macrumors 6502a

+1
    I think you're certifiable...:D

j/k It's probably what you said that it feels different in your hands because of the new back shape so you're still a wee bit tentative in your typing...:)

7. ukmacpro macrumors member

I'm pretty sure it is harder... I know make lots more mistakes and have to type more slowly, on the 1st gen I was typing almost at the same speed as my laptop (well maybe not that fast, but pretty close) Now I find myself going back and correcting mistakes.

I can't shed any light on what the difference is though, could it be the firmware/software on the new phone... Or it may just be the shape of the new 3g... There's definitely something up here though!!!

8. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Wow, I feel the same way. I think I know why! The stickiness of the back of the 3G doesn't let the iPhone easily shift in your hands while you are trying to hit the keys you want. I think my 1st gen iPhone does a little bit of sliding in my hands so I don't have to reach so much for the keys, but rather subconsciously moving the iPhone slightly to hit the keys I want. The glossy back of the 3G makes this task hard because it sticks to your hands.

9. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Not to sound "crazy" himself .... but I didn't notice a change between one of the firmware updates - maybe between 2.0 and 2.0.1 or something.

It seemed to be that the "space" for keys got smaller. I specifically remember needing to think more about hitting the space bar dead on, or it would not register.

10. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Hey Spaz, you can borrow my "straight jacket" though it's a 40 Regular...:p

11. gadgetdad macrumors 6502a

gadgetdad

I didnt have my 2G for that long before I traded it up to 3G when it was released but I cant say that I really noticed a difference.

12. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

If anything for me, I don't worry about what I've typed, b/c I've sent so many TMs that all my words seem to have been accepted by my iPhone. I type out my last name and it appears on the screen before I get to the fifth letter in my name, but that's just me...

13. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Could be that the glass on the 3G is more slippery so your finger kind of moves a bit as you press for a key. The glass on the 3G is free of certain chemicals, so that might have something to do with it.

14. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I didn't know the glass was different... interesting.

15. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I just had to replace my first gen iPhone with the 3G iPhone. I have not noticed typing being any more difficult. I do have an Incase case for it which may counter act any problems.

16. josielinnea macrumors regular

josielinnea

You don't think it's because you've had your 1gen a bit longer, and therefor it might have "learned" to correct more of your mistakes?

17. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Ah! That's where things get interesting. I restored to the same backup file on both. (Because I wanted both of my iPhones to be exactly the same). So that means, even both dictionaries are the same.

18. pintnight macrumors 6502

It's you.

19. josielinnea macrumors regular

josielinnea

Are you sure the dictionaries are backed up?

Cause with 2.1 and earlier on my 3G, I had made it learn to go with swedish word "är" instead of "år" (default). But each time I had to restore it would go back to "år" again and I would have to start all over again.
    I shouldn't have had to if it would had backed up the "user-dictionary" or whatever I should call it..

20. Jeremy81 macrumors 6502

I haven't noticed a difference. It could be the size and weight. Maybe if get rid of the old iPhone you will eventually get more proficient at typing on the new one. It may also help to get a case with a grippy feel to it?