Am I crazy or is iOS 7 sensitivity on iphone lower than iOS 6?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by frostrambler, Oct 6, 2013.

1. frostrambler macrumors member

Have had my 5s for a week now and keep noticing that it often requires a slightly harder press to do things on my iPhone. I keep thinking that its the iPhone (hardware defect) but it works fine if I press harder. I'm noticing especially that sometimes I have to press something twice on the sides of the screen to get for it to register. For example, in the contacts app, the little letter slider on the side, tapping on it sometimes has no response, I have to press harder for it to register.

Has anyone noticed this? Am I insane? My iPad mini has iOS 7 and I haven't noticed any differences, so maybe the screen on my iPhone is defective? I tried using notability app and drawing on the screen and everything seems to register, so I doubt I can convince an apple genius to replace the phone and don't even know if I should because it seems to be flawless and I don't want to risk it with another one.

2. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

You could have a hardware issue, but I do think ios7 is generally more touch-finicky. I don't think it's necessarily less sensitive, but I do feel like some of the target areas for registering taps have been made smaller, and I also think that general lack of feedback (less button states) and fewer visual button demarcations add to the problem.

OTOH, some apps like Apple's Remote app are just plain buggy, with some buttons having smaller live areas to tap, and some buttons being completely unresponsive.

Overall it seems to me like they've tweaked the touch sensitivity system wide, not so much in terms of the amount of pressure required, but in terms of button real estate/mapping. In some cases, it's as if the live areas of buttons have moved and/or gotten smaller.

3. Mercenary macrumors 6502a

You shouldn't need to push at all. The iPhone isnt like older touchscreens which work by pressure. Its capitative. So you just need to gently rest your finger to make it do anything. Pressing is just pointless and the sort of thing my dad does ;)

4. frostrambler thread starter macrumors member

Yep I understand, but I just checked with my coworkers iPhone 5 on iOS 7 and its the same thing, I guess its just a screen sensitivity thing with my fingers on the right most edges of the display.

5. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

I am having exactly the same problem with my new 5S and was wondering if its a faulty phone. Sometimes when I tried to swipe to put in the unlock key nothing happens. It is almost like the phone is asleep and needs to wake up. I also notice it is less sensitive if the phone is on the table and I try operating it. I then pick it up in my left hand and operate with right hand and it seems to work better.

It certainly seems like what I would describe as a sensitivity issue.

I used IOS7 for two weeks on my 4S before getting the 5S and never saw this issue.

I just powered my phone off and on and it seem to be working better. I had trouble powering it off because I had trouble with the slide to power off. Had to do it about five times before it powered off.

6. Mercenary macrumors 6502a

I've found iOS 7 seems to be more sensitive. Sometimes registering before I've even touched the screen. The wifes 5 is the same. Wondering how this happens? Its bacause the screens are capacitive and not pressure sensitive. Shouldnt detect non touches though so they seem to have changed something.

7. Charadis macrumors 6502a

While this might not be the problem, are you/your coworker using any kind of screen protector? Sent from my iPhone 5.

8. GlenK macrumors 6502a

GlenK

I'm not having any of those issues with my 5S. If fact I've commented that the opposite is true. It seems that barely touching the screen works best. Very light swipes and touches is all that's needed.

9. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I think in iOS 7 design the "hot areas" are smaller than before ...
    Sometimes I have to press twice on the SEND button (it's not really a button anymore !) just for this reason

10. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

I think you're right, but I wonder if there may be more to it than that. I've noticed in Safari on my iPad, having done a lot of web browsing on it recently, sometimes I can tap a link on a web page and it won't load that page. I know I tapped it, because the link momentarily changes colour at the time, but then does nothing. I tap it again and it works. It's almost like the operating system knew I tapped the link, but didn't bother telling the application.

11. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

Would this be something that we might see fixed in the next software update ?

12. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

It it's a design choice, as I think, I don't think they are going to fix nothing ....

13. itouchaddicted macrumors regular

yes you are crazy and insane. Close thread now!!:D

14. karmamule macrumors 6502

karmamule

I've noticed in general that smaller touchable items are sometimes hard to trigger, and those letters on the right side of the contact app are especially difficult at times. In most places I've adapted and things work fine, but those keep giving me trouble. It's not so much I have to touch harder as I just have to hit the correct small spot.

15. Fogtripper macrumors member

late to the thread, but YES. I am a first time iphone user with the 5s (came over from a Galaxy Nexus) and the screen (lack of) sensitivity on the iphone is driving me bonkers

16. Jbenn425 macrumors regular

I have noticed this as well! Not sure what the issue is.

17. SerenaLyn macrumors newbie

Mine is a pain in the ***!!! I play a hidden objects game called Midnight by Big Fish and instead of tapping on an object once, I have to tap up to 10 times... I have also noticed while texting, I'm constantly missing letters in words that I KNOW I've hit... PLEASE, can somebody tell me how to fix this?!? #

18. I7guy macrumors G5

Take it to Apple, sounds like hardware. But before that reset the phone to see if it makes a difference.