Am I crazy to buy a non-retina MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by live2play, Nov 4, 2013.

1. live2play macrumors newbie

Looking for a laptop for video/photo editing in 13" screen.
    While I really like the new Retina screens, the lack of future updatability concerns me.
    Right now I can get the current cMBP for $999 in its standard configuration and upgrade later (RAM, HD). The other option is to suck it up and purchase the midline rMBP for $1549.
    Is this a wise purchase or am I going to regret this down the road when the non-retina MBP gets older?

2. AirThis macrumors 6502a

If it's your first idea, and you don't need/want a retina screen, go for it. You'll save a ton of cash and won't have to worry about lag, IR, tinted screens, and other nonsensical things.

3. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

I did.

Upgraded it to a 256GB 840 Pro SSD and 16GB of RAM for WAY cheaper than it would of costed from Apple with the Retina.

Retina is a luxury for sure but as a student I don't need it right now.

This was almost a year ago so prices have changed and the Retina is closer in price now but just saying what I did.

4. MyAppleWorld macrumors 6502

MyAppleWorld

i did this 12 months ago, bought the non-retina, upgraded ram to 16gb and never got round to ordering an SSD

Ive enjoyed the laptop alot but now that the retina macs are cheaper i am now selling my MBP to get rMBP

I think its best to sell the standard MBP ASAP before it loses insane value when it gets discontinued which must be soon...

this thing feels ancient now with a SuperDrive!!

Get the retina!!

5. mangotears macrumors member

Get the retina.
    - The SSD is going to make the biggest difference, which doesn't come with the base cMBP. You'll end up paying for it separately and there are no 3rd party ssd's that will match the speed of the one in a MBA/rMBP. You should have an external drive anyways for archiving and backups.
    - The next most important thing for video/photo editing is CPU/GPU, which you won't be able to upgrade at all.
    - Upgrading the RAM separately saves you only about $30... I don't know if that's worth the tradeoff of having a worse screen, smaller battery, and bigger/heavier machine.

6. Stino macrumors newbie

Just one more thing you can easily do: if you need more space you can buy it with a large normal drive and buy a separate SSD. You than replace the Superdrive with a special mount kit by the slow drive and install the SSD where your slow drive was.

This results in a great laptop with 2 harddrives, 1 fast for all normal work and one for storage.

7. Windows&Apple macrumors regular

I don't think so, If Future Shop is putting the 15 inch's on clearance like they did last year with the 17, I'm getting that over the retina. It's tried and true :)

8. leman macrumors 604

Well, the $999 + 256GB SSD + 8Gb RAM (if you want) will be at least 1250, possibly more. So its $299 difference. For $299, you will be getting: vastly better screen (the main benefit here is the increased resolution, which makes you more productive), much faster SSD, much lighter machine, faster graphics. The only benefit of the cMBP is that you can hack it to more storage by replacing the ODD, and of course, its cheaper to get larger drives in the long run (provided you need that kind of stuff). All in all, I do not think that the cMBP is a good value for money. Its a good laptop, sure, but it should be at least $200-$250 less for what it brings to the table.

9. unimac macrumors member