Am I crazy to think about an iMac as a semi-portable?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jtgotsjets, Mar 26, 2009.

1. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

Ok, so I am about to graduate college and will be getting a new computer when that happens. I've primarily been considering the iMac, especially given the value of the 24 inch model after this last update.
    My current computer is a G4 iBook, which is still plugging along, just starting to show it's age. I am thinking about the desktop because I love the big screen and want as much power as I can afford. The only proble
    is that there kay still be some things that I would need to combine power and portability for. My iPod touch is fine for most mobile web surfing and the like and the iBook is still fine for longer trips. I will however be moving the iMac from room to room to record music (I have several non portable instruments), and/maybe/ playing live electronic musc gigs.

Am I crazy to think an iMac is portable enough for these twosimple tasks?

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    That is the good thing about the iMac, is that it only has one cord. I don't see why you can't move it around.

3. belvdr macrumors 603

Depends on how much moving. Just consider packing around a 24" LCD display all the time.

4. wyatt23 macrumors 6502a

wyatt23

i'll just give an answer to the question asked...

yes, that's crazy to think. if you're going to be moving around and recording a lot, get a macbook and an lcd for when you're home. (my current setup is 24" lcd + macbook and) it's perfect for recording.

if you want more screen real estate, then go with a 17" macbook pro. but think about how much wear and tear a macbook takes (or look at your ibook) and imagine moving a whole imac that much

it's not made to be move all that much, so i'd say don't do whatever you're thinking about doing!!! :p

5. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

I vote crazy.

Moving room-to-room in your own house/apt is probably OK, if you aren't a clutz and your place isn't tool croweded or cluttered.

Going out of the house, though, is a problem. Face it, sooner or later, even if you are really, really careful you are going to damage that computer in a nasty way. :(

Get a MB + 24" LCD

6. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

If it's just in your apartment, it should be fine. Comments about iMacs not being designed to be moved around are a little misplaced, imo: the iMac uses laptop components, after all.

I think it would be doable.

That said, you might find a 15" MacBook Pro coupled with an inexpensive LCD display a better option.

7. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

I vote out of the box! Interesting idea, but could you do what you need with a boatload of mic cable (and not schlep the imac everywhere)?

8. desiringGod macrumors regular

9. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...get a motorcycle battery for it and you could make it "totally" portable:D

10. czeluff macrumors 6502

24" user

Just last week I had to haul my iMac to/from a classroom 5 times for an iPhone Bootcamp. It was nice having the biggest screen in class, but it was quite the pain after day 1.

I agree with every1 else: do a 15" MBP then get a cheaper 24" you can beat around. I LOVE Cinema Displays, but if it's not going to be sitting in one place most of the time, you'd hate to spend the money for an ACD. I'd suggest a Viewsonic.

cz

11. aidricksdad macrumors regular

aidricksdad

i take my 24" down stairs to my kitchen on the weekends and its not too bad but i cant see doing it more often than that....just buy two of them!!!!!!

12. briansolomon macrumors 6502

briansolomon

Do it, man. I have a buddy that does exactly what are you thinking about doing. He just takes it in the box every where he goes to record. I remember seeing an ad on macrumors for an iMac carrying case, too. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.

13. Macjames macrumors 6502a

14. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

why not get a 17" Macbook pro with hi-res screen? :D

15. jtgotsjets thread starter macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

I guess I should clarify a little (I wrote the first post in a hurry on my ipod).
    I'm not looking to tote my imac around everywhere and I don't need to record often.
    Here's the recording situation in greater detail:
    I am an amateur electronic musician. I do a lot of work with samples and whatnot, and I can do most of my recording in my bedroom—most of my instruments will be there. I've got a big, heavy organ, though, that I use quite extensively, and taking it upstairs (to my bedroom) is pretty much never going to happen, so occasionally, if a song calls for it, I'd bring the iMac down to record a few samples, tweak them, then move it back up to my desk. This is why techound's solution won't work—not only would that much mic cable end up being more dangerous snaking htrough the house, but I need the organ and computer in the same place. I probably could continue to use the ibook for this (just recording, then moving it to the iMac), but that seems like almost as much of a bitch. Who knows.
    The only other time I can see myself moving the iMac around (and this is entirely hypothetical at this point) is with the possibility of performing live shows. The iBook definitely doesn't have enough power to do this, and an iMac actually seems pretty safe in this instance (at least if beer gets spilled, it is elevated, unlike a MB or MBP).

I've been thinking about a laptop and external monitor, but can't seem to land on as workable a solution. $1400 is pretty much my high limit as far as money, which works out to exactly to the low-end 24" iMac w/edu discount. My budget straight-up rules out any Macbook Pros. I could swing a higher-end Macbook from the refurb store, but that still rules out a monitor. By the time I'm getting into macbooks cheap enough to add a big ass, nice looking monitor, I'm looking at a computer that, stat-wise, does not even begin to compete with the iMac I'm looking at. Getting the best performing computer is important because I literally have no idea when I'll be able to upgrade again. My iBook is very nearly 5 years old, which I know is pushing ancient the way a lot of people upgrade on these forums. The next computer will likely have to last me even longer.

So that's my deal.

16. fridgeymonster3 macrumors 6502

fridgeymonster3

17. statik13 macrumors regular

*cough* So tempting to insert a smartarse comment here... :rolleyes:

Any possibility of recording to another device? iPod Nano's are affordable enough. I'd really advise against moving around the computer if you don't have to. iMac's are quite heavy and one slip is all it takes and you're out $1400.

18. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Yea, the iMac is a desktop. Think about it.... DESK and then top. A MacBook is a NOTEBOOK. Think of the size comparisons. A computer than sites on a desk vs a paper notebook.

19. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The iMac is a laptop on a stick. Do with it what you please.

It has laptop components in a laptop-thick case. It is not a desktop.

20. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

You're confusing the form factor with internal hardware. For all its intent and purposes, the iMac is a desktop. It may have notebook components inside, but the form factor is AIO desktop.

21. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Oh, if that's what you're addressing, I agree completely.

"Desktop" doesn't stop people from taking their computers to Starbucks, though. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

22. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

LOL :D

23. xhambonex macrumors 6502a

I think that would work just fine. It's semi portable for sure. They make iMac carrying cases for people who do just what you are talking about except they take them farther then downstairs. For that you could probably just get an extra power cable, unplug, carry, plug, use, record, back upstairs. A macbook would work but if you want an iMac get an iMac.

24. ChrisA macrumors G4

Solve the room to room thing with a long mic cord. Much easier.

For live gigs you will need a very solid road case. I think you are looking are a custom case or a Pelican. Also a very sturdy table for the stage. the 24" has a lot of weight and does NOT do well on a table that moves if bumped. It will need a very solid support. For the stage I'd suggest looking into a monior arm that connects the iMac solidly to something that can't tip over.

25. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su