Am I getting insanely unlucky or is this the norm?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chrisrosemusic1, Apr 23, 2013.

1. chrisrosemusic1 macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

OK, so I've been Apple mad since I was 15 and I've always admired the build quality of everything I've bought from them... Until the last 9 months or so.

Round up of iPhone 5's;

(Pre ordered sim free) Black iPhone 16GB - camera was faulty
    Replacement Black - Scratched bezel and back case
    (Sold after replacement arrived)

Upgraded early on my contract to buy a 32GB White - First one had 3 dead pixels and a scratch. (Returned to Apple as Orange were out of stock and had it exchanged)

Replacement white had a minor bezel mark but ignored it - 5 months later the screen developed a weird brightness problem - had it replaced a couple of weeks ago.

My last (and current) 32GB white has 2 dead pixels, both in the middle but one at the top and one at the bottom.

I'm sick and tired of having to go in to my nearest store and almost feel pathetic to have to keep going back in for replacements.

Every body I know has had their 5 exchanged at least one due to faults, including screen, microphone and lock button failure.

Is the norm or am I either getting very unlucky with all my replacements, or am I expecting too much? I've never exchanged my iPhone 3, 3G, 4 or 4S at all. Even my first iPad mini was scuffed and covered in glue. What is going on in the QC department??

2. AnorexicPig macrumors 6502

AnorexicPig

How many times will such threads come up ? Just care to do a search around the forum and you will see tons of such threads--is it the norm or am I unlucky lol !

And the same 'everyone I know has iPhone 5 exchanged'--to clear it one more time-everyone I know is fully satisfied with his/her iPhone 5-and I know atleast 100 people with iP5-living on campus in a university !!

3. chrisrosemusic1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

Just wish I was also content - I really feel discouraged by how crap every one I've had has been. I've booked another appointment for Thursday to try one last time. After that I give up!

And I am aware of other peoples experiences and posts for that matter ;) Just venting my disappointment and trying to give myself some false reassurance that I may get a perfect one yet...

4. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I really think it is a hit or miss and depends on what bothers each individual. I have owned two iphone 5's. The first one was flawless with no nicks or other issues. The second one the chamfer edges flaked off just from touching it.

5. Mrbobb macrumors 601

I propose a separate forum for a support group of insanely unlucky users. :D

6. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

I think its the sign of the times with poor quality control for this phone. If you care about having a product that has no visible, dents, dings, or scratches, and no dead pixels then you will most likely need to go through a couple iPhone 5's in order to get an acceptable one.

If you are unaware of these things you will probably love the one iphone 5 that you purchase, throw it in a case, and never realize that it has these issues.

7. rascalmaster macrumors newbie

I'm on my 4th one... :-(
    This one also has an apparent problem where 20% of the calls result in sqwaky sounding voice transmissions and I have to try the call again :-(

----------

This guy actually started a blog site about his problems (my iPhone displays the same problem!)

http://www.iphone5callquality.com/

8. Darryjr macrumors regular

Darryjr

It sucks to deal with it, but its not just iphone 5 either. A slew of htc one's are coming out with gaps, rough edges, mis aligned speaker grills. It's just strange that in this day and age, and the prices we are paying for the devices how bad the quality control has become. Btw sorry to hear of your issues....

9. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I feel like my post is OT...but my iPhone 5is fine, and has been fine out of the box.

Sorry...:eek:

;)

10. Demonface macrumors 6502a

Thus far no problems with my iPhone 5 . Everything seems to be good with it.

11. chrisrosemusic1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

Thanks Darry, I guess it's all just becoming pot luck then :)

----------

Have to admit, I haven't looked at news regarding other phones. Keep thinking of Android but do love the ecosystem I have at home right now so it deters me. Just want a perfect iPhone and I'll be happy - have paid enough to get one!

----------

Good to hear :)

----------

Yeah I completely agree - May be I'm over analysing it but with the contract layout + early upgrade fee + upfront cost towards the phone, I do also expect to receive a flawless phone in return for the £1400 or so this will cost over 2 years. May be I do look a little closer than others would, but I wouldn't if I didn't receive 2 crap ones to begin with. I've become OCD about it :rolleyes: