Am I good to go? Low end Macbook Pro 15", 8 gb upgrade, SSD..[First Mac Ever]

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fzc, Nov 8, 2011.

1. fzc macrumors newbie

Hi,
    Im new to this forum and I plan on buying first ever macbook pro 15. i have found this deal from B&H.

HTTP://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/827023-REG/Apple_MD318LL_A_15_4_MacBook_Pro_Notebook.html

Plus i plan on buying the upgrade kit.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/811080-REG/Lifetime_Memory_8GB_2x4GB_SO_DIMM_Laptop.html

And a SSD crucial m4 64gb

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/768798-REG/Crucial_Technology_CT064M4SSD2_64GB_m4_SSD_2_5.html

I am a newbie. I choose the above system and upgrades by reading you guys on different threads and i got to know about ssd that how it improves performance. i want your opinion before i order. My budget is $2000. Is this the right Mac or can i get a better deal else where? Is it worth upgrading the ram? Is the SSD enough for the operating system and apps and if i later plan on installing windows 7 for some games.

2. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

you seem good but you can get better deals on ram.

3. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

4. fzc thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick replies. i have considered it but this would be my first ever mac and i wanna buy a new one. thanks anyway. But still my concern is SSD, is it big enough to hold both operation systems (lion and windows 7) plus apps....

5. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

64Gb should be enough to hold the OS and apps.. Right now on my Air I am using 20GB total. OS, Apps, and some docs, etc...

6. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

- The computer is powerful

- 8GB of RAM is a boon for Lion, but I echo wrinkster, you can shave, at least, 20 dollars off that price.

- Will 64GB M4 be your only drive? I had the 128GB M4 prior to the EFI update (which fixed SATA III issues for most Mac users) and it was a very fast drive when performing properly. So I can endorse it, assuming that the beach ball issues are laid to rest with the update

7. Swain macrumors member

You might want to invest in AppleCare as well but that's my personal preference.

Looks like you have a pretty solid setup though.

8. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I was just about to ask you if you really think 64GB is enough.
    It is imo barely enough for one OS like only Lion. You'd need to move almost all data (movies, pictues, music) of the drive onto an optibay hdd or external. That is only enough for OS + apps + plus some little amount of data but you'd constantly fill it up.
    For Win7 & Lion forget it. 120GB is the minimum vor this configuration. It would fit with some small apps and no data. Just install one modern game that needs around 12 GB nowadays.
    I have 170 GB (110GB for OSX, 60 for Windows) and 1 TB data drive. You might not need as much as me but without the data drive even a normal user usually needs at least 128GB especially with bootcamp in use.

9. fzc thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the ram advice. No the 64 gb wont be my only drive. but u have me thinking now how to install an SSD? do i have to remove previously installed 500 gb HDD which comes with macbook pro 15. Because prior to this i was thinking i can just insert this 2.5 " SSD in the slot on the left side of Macbook pro.

----------

i do plan on buying apple care may be after 6 months or so or before my 1 year warranty runs out.

----------

You are right. i would buy a 128 gb SSD now thanks.

10. zaxdude macrumors regular

Look at the refurb's on Apple's site. You can potentially get a MUCH better $$ deal. Basically the same as new.

You can definitely get better deal on RAM. Check NewEgg or Fry's....even Amazon.

11. fzc thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah i have considered that already. if i order a refurb from apple store directly i would have to pay tax on it. plus i think refurbs have issues and i don't want my first ever mac experience to end sore.

12. Swain macrumors member

I doubt it that refurbs will give you issues:
    http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

13. wgr73 macrumors 6502a

wgr73

Lol, I don't think your going to change his mind....he's set on a new computer. fzc, refurbs are fine, used mbp is fine too...but its the whole "my first 'new' apple computer" feeling that is itching I bet. Get it out of your system and buy a new one, and for your next upgrade I'm sure you'll see how much money you can save going refurb/used and you'll do that. I was the same way :D

14. Liquinn Suspended

That's why I'm buying a 17" anti-glare from in store on the day the Ivy Bridge comes out. Since it'll be my first Mac.

That way I'm getting the latest and greatest (at the time) on the exact day, kinda like the iPad and iPhones?

15. randomrazr macrumors 65816

no

16. Swain macrumors member

Haha, I'm the same tbh. My first mac shall be a shiny new one, even though I know that refurbs have basically the same high quality. It has something magical.

17. fzc thread starter macrumors newbie

but apple is not offering any refurbed macbook pros at this time. do i have to wait for refurbs to be put up?

18. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

The Apple refurbished machines are a great deal. You can wait to buy Applecare up to one year from purchase and receive two additional years of coverage. I would buy the SSD and RAM from someone like OWC and install them yourself. Remember that Apple will charge you sales tax while vendors like MacMall will not, it makes a difference to your bottom-line.