Am I just stupid or is it everyone else?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tadros86, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Tadros86 macrumors 6502

Tadros86

When the iPhone 5 was announced last week, I was blown away by the changes that Apple was offering. Yet I continually hear from fanboys of Samsung and Nokia that "it's the same phone" correct me if I am wrong, but how is it the same phone? Am I an idiot, or a fanboy, or are these guys just trying to rain on our parade?

http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare-iphones/

This page does the phone no justice.

Faster processor, better graphics, bigger screen, integrated touch and projection on the same pane of glass, better battery life, 4G LTE, Turn by Turn navigation for free, better front facing camera with the ability to record in 720p, better overall camera performance (low light, stabilizer, higher f/s, faster capture times, panorama), better video and the ability to take photos while filming, stronger antennas, stronger Wifi, better audio system all around (clearer call quality, stronger speaker system, 3 microphones to greatly reduce background noise), new headphones, new connector that can output more digital signals, nano-sim card, and new, more durable, and lighter design

All that should be listed in the comparison chart. But whatever, I have mine on pre-order and am ecstatic to be upgrading from my iPhone 4. I just don't know what else, aside from NFC, anyone can ask for.

2. unobtainium macrumors 68000

It's missing "innovation" apparently, which I guess to them means NFC (which nobody uses yet) and a monster screen (which more than half of consumers would find unwieldy and annoying). Oh, and plastic construction I guess...Fandroids love plastic.

3. MuddyPaws1 macrumors 6502

How come people that aren't blown away by the 5 have to be Android fanboys?

4. dgstan macrumors 6502a

I'm with you. This is a much bigger upgrade compared to the 4->4s cycle. I don't know why people are complaining so much. When they get asked "What did you want to see in the phone, but didn't get", they disappear from the thread.

5. phantomsd, Sep 15, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2012

phantomsd macrumors 6502

phantomsd

It's the same phone because its an iPhone (thanks, haters). Same phone but hey we also got bigger and better stuff, too (take note all you salty people)... Bigger pre-order sales, bigger launch numbers (at this point it's already a given... And I'm not even talking about competitor numbers), bigger App Store, better apps, better design/engineering (at least, IMO), better hardware/software optimization.

Newsflash: SPECWARS IS DEAD.

It's like nobody appreciates engineering and design efforts anymore... ??? iPhone 5 is a monster in that regard. Specs specs specs and tests test tests... All day.

6. Tadros86 thread starter macrumors 6502

Tadros86

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to generalize, I meant the people i personally spoke to are Android fanboys. Because they actually are. They even showed me that Jimmy Kimmel sketch to justify their claims.

7. darster Suspended

Simple. Does the phone do what you want it to do? If yes, you have the right phone. If not, you have the wrong phone. Specs only mean something when there is something your phone doesn't do that you want it to do.

8. Tadros86 thread starter macrumors 6502

Tadros86

The android fanboy i was talking about also complained that the screen performance wasn't improved. How can you improve on a screen that already projects passed the limits of the human eyes capabilities? Holographic design? I just don't get it. At the end of the day, it's A PHONE, what do you want it to do that it already isn't doing!

9. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

I find it funny how the meltdowns from Fandroids are actually greater than when the 4S came out. Everyone was expecting the iPhone 5 and we got barely any changes besides a few spec bumps and Siri. Now that Apple released a new design, higher specs, bigger screen, and some other new features, the reactions are 10x worse.

10. darster Suspended

I always get a kick out of the spec folks when they talk about how fast the processor is and how it can launch apps a tenth of a second faster than another phone. My life really hinged on that tenth of a second. What's comical about these folks is if you ask how good the call quality is on their android phone, they seem to change the subject. The only android phone that is tops in call quality is Motorola, and that's because they have always been the best. It's called phone for a reason, voice quality should be excellent. If not, their specs are seriously lacking.

11. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

Apple is very smart for not jumping on the NFC bandwagon just yet. It is still far too unproven and prone to theft in many new interesting ways.

12. MuddyPaws1 macrumors 6502

I differ there. I only use about 20 minutes a month or less using it as a phone. I have a computer in my pocket that I can also order pizza with.

13. KPOM macrumors G5

What annoys me is the argument that the iPhone isn't high quality because glass breaks more easily than plastic. Is a sweatshirt higher quality than a silk blouse or tailored dress shirt because it won't tear as easily? Is a plexiglass window higher quality than an art glass window because it won't break as easily? People seem to confuse "breakability" with quality.

My mother has a Galaxy S3, and I hate using it because it is so big, and it feels cheap. That's not to say that there aren't compelling phones from others out there. I actually like the design of the Nokia Lumia series, and think the Lumia 920 is a nice phone. If it had Android 4.1 it probably would give the S3 a run for its money in terms of sales volume, but rightly or wrongly it will likely be dismissed because it is running Windows Phone.

In the meantime, I'll wait out the next week with my 4S until my iPhone 5 arrives sometime Friday afternoon.

----------

I think the next innovation will revolve around foldable or flexible screens, which may be viable within the next 5 years. Samsung supposedly has flexible screens in development, and I'm sure LG and Sharp are working on similar technology.

14. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Of course the Kimmel sketch doesn't show all the people who said "F off, this is a 4s" or "This looks exactly the same as my 4s" or even "I don't care about iPhones."

Ask people a leading question, put them on camera and they'll give you the answer you've led them to believe you want... even if it ends up making them look foolish, simply because they don't want to look foolish.

15. MuddyPaws1 macrumors 6502

NFC is used quite a bit. Must be where you live, but here, it's in many places and can be used for many things. Where I work, you can unlock the doors to the building with your phone. Well, I can't because I have an iPhone, but other people can. And they aren't talking about a iPad size screen. Bigger in all directions would have been nice for my use.

And if the 5 had a 4.3 screen, ALL Fanboys would have jumped for joy and said it was the greatest thing. Bugs me when the Fanboys totally dismiss every opinion or desire that Apple hasn't told them they want.

16. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

Some people just want a "checklist phone". A living spec sheet, so to speak. Doesn't necessarily mean it's a well designed or seamlessly integrated product, but specs are king for some people. The iPhone 5 doesn't meet or exceed all of those specs, so it is of course "worse". People will argue until they're blue that the iPhone is factually and empirically "inferior" to phones X, Y, and Z, not realizing that some people don't make their decisions by looking at a checklist.

17. KPOM macrumors G5

To be fair, there will be some refinements in the "5S" besides a faster processor. Simultaneous voice and data got left out of the Verizon/Sprint version (as discussed elsewhere), and we may see Apple come around on NFC if it starts to take off. If there is another die shrink available for components, they may also be able to cram in some other features. Schiller seemed to put down the idea of wireless charging, but that might be an interesting feature at some point.

18. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

People have got used to getting a new phone every two years and a faster spec bump what is knows as the S.

So this time around everyone was expecting a major revision.

The design is still that of the Iphone 4. People do not peep into specs etc, they use thier eyes, and based on that, the new iphone looks very similar to the last two models 4 and 4S.

Stop looking at the specs, look at the pictures, can you see the very similar design shared by the 4, 4S and 5? And what worries me is that the 5S will be the same.

19. atticus27 macrumors regular

atticus27

I think most people wanted a new design. It's a different design, but its still the same as the 4s. It's a nice upgrade though. I bought an s3, because I'm bored with iOS (and expandable memory is pretty nice to have)
    no one really uses NFC anyways. Apple will likely implement it in the 5s, once its more used.
    Solid upgrade for anyone using the 4 or lower.
    LTE's nice, but not every city has it yet, so I'm guessing most 4s users will hold off another year.

20. Cody21 macrumors 6502a

Cody21

I welcome the upgrade they gave us. I'm not gonna cry myself to sleep at night over NFC and a 5.75654 inch screen.

21. cinek macrumors 6502

I had the 4 and the 4s, iphone 5 is nothing "new" or at least "mind blowing" which is what 99% of the users expected from apple. It's a stretched out phone with a faster cpu that's even more expensive than the 4 and 4s (sim free)

Every iPhone fan boy at work is disappointing (inc me) and we're all getting other phones until apple gets their s.... together

heard this from almost everyone at work last week

"Steve's gone now apple is heading down hill"
    "Steve is turning in his grave"

lets face it, iphone 5 is not an innovation it's what 4s should have been only it's here a year later and it's way behind the competition feature wise

22. duction macrumors 6502a

duction

i just keep thinking of all that plastic shi*e thescreens mounted on with android phones -shudders

23. old-wiz macrumors G3

Finally some reason. The only real question is does the phone do what you want it to do!

24. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

I've seen my share of dropped Iphone 4, with their shattered screens... pros/cons.

25. korbui macrumors newbie

I think the phone dosn´t get looked at as a huge update basically because it looks very similar as the last phone but with better "insides"...

I would have liked to see apple skip the home button completely and just have a button with the same function next to the lock button... then they could have had the screen even larger...

Don´t get me wrong, if i can get an unlocked version when im in the US at the end of the month i defenetely am getting one, if not i might just give Samsung a try... but the thing that swings me to the iPhone is not specs or looks it´s the operating system on it that i know and love...