Am I missing something? How is iCloud/iOS5 going to allow me to be PC free?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by amurder, Jun 8, 2011.

1. amurder macrumors newbie

Ok, so there is no music streaming with iCloud. I can live with that. But how can Steve stand up there and say that the PC has been demoted to just a device and the cord has been cut between the iOS device and the PC when Apple has left out the ability for me to remove music from my iOS device without syncing?

Being able to download anything you have purchased from iCloud on any device is a great feature for sure. But my 32GB iPhone is completely full. Lets say I buy a new album on my 64GB iPad and now want to listen to that on my iPhone also? I can't fit the new album on without removing something and I don't see any way I can do that without plugging my phone into the PC.

I don't have the iOS5 beta installed - can someone who has it comment if maybe you have the ability to do this? If not this is a major fail for Apple and I can't see how they could have launched the service without it. I can delete apps from my phone without connecting to my PC, why shouldn't I be able to do this with music. This would be a major miss and really limit the usefulness of the service.

iCloud with streaming = revolutionary

iCloud without streaming but with complete wireless management including deleting music = still a pretty damn cool product

iCloud without either of these features = iFail

2. VenusianSky macrumors 65816

VenusianSky

Isn't one of the new features in iOS 5 the ability to delete music?

3. amurder thread starter macrumors newbie

I hope so, I may have missed it in all the announcements. Hopefully someone with iOS5 will clarify

4. sotorious macrumors 6502a

Only way this will be pc free for people who barley used the pc to begin with.

5. VenusianSky macrumors 65816

VenusianSky

6. amurder thread starter macrumors newbie

If they have added this feature it should have been highlighted in the keynote. It is the single feature that is the difference between iCloud being pretty great and pretty useless

7. iFiend macrumors 65816

8. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

What is more important is adding music to iPod app without syncing. For example, if I download songs from, say, Amazon, can I then add them into my iPod app and later sync them onto my computer?

9. NebulaClash macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

Let's say you don't own a PC. You see the ads for the iPad and you think it would be fun to own one. So you buy the iPad, and it is the only tech gadget you now own (believe it or not). Fine, it gets OS updates over the air, you download books and apps and music over the air, no PC needed.

So yes, this is a case where that hypothetical person is PC free. Now that doesn't allow that person to buy more stuff than will fit on his iPad, as in your example. Obviously once a device is full, it's full. If he had a PC, he could mix and match what gets synced to his iPad at any given time. But if he has no PC, then he can only fit whatever fits on his device.

10. Interstella5555, Jun 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2011

Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I'm....not sure that's true. If you buy a, say, 16GB iPad and start purchasing content on it, it's pushed up to the cloud. You fill up the device, but then delete stuff off the iPad (which is still retained in the cloud) and then buy more stuff. In my understanding, that would work. That said, I doubt if I'll personally use the cloud.

11. NebulaClash macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

You may be right, we'll see. I don't think of iCloud as a storage product but as a coordination product. It takes content you buy and makes sure it's updated on all your devices. I suppose you could delete content from your device, have it still be on iCloud, and then later redownload it back to your device when you once again have room.

We'll see.

12. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Can I add mp3s to my Music app from other apps, like if someone mailed me an mp3?

13. err404 macrumors 68020

The vast majority of new features were left out of the keynote. The presentation was only intended to be a small sampling of the new OS.
    Check the forums or blogs for a more complete feature rundown.