Am i missing something? Iphone Warrantry trick

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevejobsjunior

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2009
A friend of mine who fixes iphones recently received a 3g with a broken screen and no power for free. He replaced the broken screen and we were were thinking of simply removing the sim card tray on my under warranty iphone and placing it in the broken one so apple would fix it. Being that the serial number is only on the sim tray I cant see how apple could tell. I searched all over google and couldn't find anyone else who has ried this. Has anyone ever thought about this before?

For anyone has had their iphone fixed by apple, do they ask you any questions regarding your att account?

slapguts

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
When you connect it to iTunes the serial is clearly visible.

Also, when the Genius connects it to their computer, it will be even more obvious.

Nice attempt at a scam, though.

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
The iPhone certainly seems to have the ability of attracting more tan it's fair share of dishonest people!

tnisatard

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2008
apple isnt dumb! before people used to try and do the "theres dust under my screen, give me a new iphone" they caught on, and just clean it now

pvmacguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2009
Jax
Thats retarded why would you give him your sim card tray from your (under) waranty phone and then apple take that s*** phone from your friend and your sim tray so then you dont have one? And when you make a waranty claim and they see a diff serial number on your sim tray and are wtf. Yeah stuipid plan.

stevejobsjunior

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2009
the phone doesn't turn on though so they wouldn't be able to pull the serial number from the phone. and regarding the scam issue, apple has scammed more then its fair share of people by refusing to fix their warrantied iphones for bull@#$% reasons, so I dont think fixing one out of warranty phone is going to kill them

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
the phone doesn't turn on though so they wouldn't be able to pull the serial number from the phone. and regarding the scam issue, apple has scammed more then its fair share of people by refusing to fix their warrantied iphones for bull@#$% reasons, so I dont think fixing one out of warranty phone is going to kill them
People like you are the reason why Apple is the way they are sometimes.

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
Not to sound like your mom, but just because apple may have done something wrong, doesn't give you the right to as well.

tofagerl

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Is there any way Apple could keep a database of people who try to scam the warranty like this, and then just NOT sell any products to them?
That would be an excellent way to discourage scams. (Even though ebay would love the extra business...)

pvmacguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2009
Jax
Your obviously no Steve Jobs Jr. He would have a bit more lick of sense. :rolleyes:

molala

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Cambridge, UK
do you know why there is no power? has it been damaged by liquid or impact? sure, they might not check your serial number, but if they discover this phone has been abused, you lose your warranty on your real/working iPhone. and you might need that in the future. not to mention, they know the IMEI number of your real phone, if that's in use, they could catch your fraud.

about scamming apple, you can come up with many excuses about how apple has behaved, but it's still flat out wrong.

stevejobsjunior

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2009
Judging by the responses this method seems like it would be pretty successful which angers most of you for some reason.:confused:

stevejobsjunior

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2009
there is no way to tell if its been opened. Lets not confuse apple with microsoft and think that they would be smart enough to place a warranty seal on their product. All it takes to open is the removal of two screws which are easily replaced to put it back together.

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
there is no way to tell if its been opened. Lets not confuse apple with microsoft and think that they would be smart enough to place a warranty seal on their product. All it takes to open is the removal of two screws which are easily replaced to put it back together.
Was the MS bashing necessary?

Again, if you feel like it'll work, go ahead and do it. But, and I will say this slow so you can understand it, IT WILL NOT WORK.

stevejobsjunior

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2009
Was the MS bashing necessary?

Again, if you feel like it'll work, go ahead and do it. But, and I will say this slow so you can understand it, IT WILL NOT WORK.
I don't know if I will do it. I'm not quite as opposed to it as some of you are but I know i know karma is a b*&^% and its the wrong thing to do. But my friend makes it sound pretty fool proof and I just feel bad telling him I can't help him out no obvious reason even though if this does backfire its pretty much screwing me over.

UngratefulNinja

macrumors 68000
May 9, 2009
Pennsylvania
I don't know if I will do it. I'm not quite as opposed to it as some of you are but I know i know karma is a b*&^% and its the wrong thing to do. But my friend makes it sound pretty fool proof and I just feel bad telling him I can't help him out no obvious reason even though if this does backfire its pretty much screwing me over.
But what will happen if it DOES work? Then you won't have a sim card tray that matches your serial number. What will happen if you need your phone serviced?

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
Wait, you say that it doesn't power on? Even if it's plugged in? Ever think that all you really need is a new battery?

I mean you already opened it up to put on the new screen.

But yes, if you do go in with your SIM tray inside it, and they find out that it's been opened, I'm pretty sure they'll put that you did something with your phone in their comments, thus voiding your warranty on your perfectly good phone.

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
This will totally work, there is no way that Apple will know since there is no power.
Except for the fact that since your iPhone won't even power up they will take it in the back and open it up to verify the serial number which is clearly on the motherboard and other internal areas of the iPhone. Once they realize what you have done ... WHICH THEY WILL REALIZE WHILE YOU ARE STILL IN THE STORE, they have the full and lawful right to call the police and have you charged with fraud. Most likely they'll make you think they're doing something in the back, but they'll be waiting for the cops. Let me know where you're going, I wanna see this so bad.

stevejobsjunior

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2009
This will totally work, there is no way that Apple will know since there is no power.
Except for the fact that since your iPhone won't even power up they will take it in the back and open it up to verify the serial number which is clearly on the motherboard and other internal areas of the iPhone. Once they realize what you have done ... WHICH THEY WILL REALIZE WHILE YOU ARE STILL IN THE STORE, they have the full and lawful right to call the police and have you charged with fraud. Most likely they'll make you think they're doing something in the back, but they'll be waiting for the cops. Let me know where you're going, I wanna see this so bad.
Ohhhhhhhh so the serial number is also on the inside of the phone? Thats weird because my friend took it apart and never saw it. But anyway I guess we will see what happens. Who knows:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.