Am I missing something? (Safari vs Firefox)

pcpacker

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2004
I have used both Safari and Firefox, and I can't figure out why people are trashing Safari. They seem very similar to me (tabs, bookmarks, etc.). What is it about Firefox that makes it better?

timnosenzo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2004
ct, us
I think it's best to have both. Firefox is better at handling certain types of websites that Safari pukes all over...but I use Safari 99.9% of the time.

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
I am all Safari on my Mac and all FireFox on my (or anybody's, thanks to running it off the thumbdrive) PC

timnosenzo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2004
ct, us
Inkmonkey said:
Great Orange Orangutans! I'm pretty much exclusive to Safari now. Haven't had any problems with websites "puking."
Welp, most of the time it's not a full-on puke, but more of a hitch. ;)

For instance, if you travel to http://www.vw.com/ and try to click on any of the active menus with Safari, it goes nowhere (I mean the "VW Models" "VW Etc" "VW the company" menus). Firefox doesn't have this problem. I know it VW's crappy website, but I keep Firefox on board for just those instances.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Texas
I use and like both Safari and Firefox. I use Safari as my primary browser, but my online banking site works better with Firefox for example. I certainly believe that the two can co-exist peacefully together and I haven't heard anyone really praising one and trashing the other that I can think of.

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
i like both of them and i have used both of them for my primary browser (along with camino) for a few months each. i like them all very much but while i was at home over summer and only being able to use a dial up connection i found that safari was the slowest of the lot so i have not gone back to it of late. maybe i will when 1.3 comes out soon (i say hoping they have speeded things up a bit!)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Gone but not forgotten.
I use Firefox most of the time and it works much better than anything else for me. I find Safari useful only when the website doesn't work well with Firefox. The speed and ease of use with Firefox just seems to fit me better. It seems to support the Macintosh philosophy better than anything else, including Safari.

pcpacker

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2004
edesignuk said:
Who's "trashing" safari? :confused:
I meant literally deleting safari and using firefox. There was a long thread on it when I did a search.

coconn06

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2003
King of Prussia, PA
bousozoku said:
I use Firefox most of the time and it works much better than anything else for me. I find Safari useful only when the website doesn't work well with Firefox. The speed and ease of use with Firefox just seems to fit me better. It seems to support the Macintosh philosophy better than anything else, including Safari.
It's funny because I have the opposite opinion. Maybe it has something to do with the speed of the computer. I have a 3.5 year old iBook, and Safari runs noticeable faster than Firefox. Perhaps when I get my PowerMac, Firefox will become a more attractive option.

Has anyone else had the same experience?

MacsRgr8

macrumors 604
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Has anyone tried the "PowerMac G5 optimized verison of FireFox "??

I installed this version on an iMac G5, but haven't noticed any difference with the "normal" version... :confused:

stoid

macrumors 601
MacsRgr8 said:
Has anyone tried the "PowerMac G5 optimized verison of FireFox "??

I installed this version on an iMac G5, but haven't noticed any difference with the "normal" version... :confused:
You have to access a 64-bit website to see the difference. Duh! :D :p :rolleyes:

Not sure that a browser really needs the whole G5 optimiztion, though I could be wrong.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
stoid said:
Not sure that a browser really needs the whole G5 optimiztion, though I could be wrong.
Hmmm...maybe it's designed to devote one processor to each tab. As long as you run only two tabs. Just think of what it'll be like when macosrumors' quad-core PM's come out! *decides to shut up now* :p

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Gone but not forgotten.
AmigoMac said:
nice browser, faster than camino, right now and IMO... but it's taking 14% CPU when idle :confused:
What is idle, really? Turn off your animated .gif files. :D Thunderbird uses a lot of the same base code and takes around 2 percent, as does Firefox when it's not displaying animation.

MacsRgr8

macrumors 604
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
stoid said:
You have to access a 64-bit website to see the difference. Duh! :D :p :rolleyes:

Have you tried it?

I don't get it either. MacBidouille (HardMac.com) , have mentioned the "G5 optimized" version since RC1.
is this a hoax, or am I missing something here...??? :confused: :rolleyes: