Am I missing something? Underwhelmed with 1st gen iPad 64gb 3G after about 10 days

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Preds, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Preds, Mar 28, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2011

Preds macrumors member

Don't flame me, as I really want to love my iPad, but so far I just don't "get the hype". Everyone I know LOVES their iPad. I want to love mine too, but I don't. Not yet at least. I think it's a neat toy, but just can't see it replacing my netbook.

Hopefully the community here can help me address some of my issues and improve my experience.

Just for some background, I'm not new to Apple, I've had every generation of iPhone, which I love, I'm very familiar with it. I knew the iPad would be similar (or as I've often joked a giant iPod Touch), but I was hoping it would be more than that and able to replace my netbook, particularly when traveling. After 10 days of use I just can't see that happening.

Pros
    • I think it's a great video player. The larger screen is much better for travel
    • It's small and portable
    • Battery life is great
    • Love having 3G portable internet access with a larger screen than my iPhone (though I could accomplish the same thing with my netbook and a 3G wireless card or setting up a Personal Hotspot off my iPhone)

Cons
    • Photo management on it is terrible (unless I'm missing something).
    • The internet experience is only so so. I've tried multiple browsers and have settled on Atomic, though it's still somewhat limiting, particularly for links that open pop-ups on the page and often fail to load the full text and can't be scrolled). This in particular drive's me crazy.
    • The lack of an open file structure is frustrating. Synching to move data back and forth with iTunes is a PITA and SLOW. I know Dropbox may help with this to a degree, but haven't had a chance to learn it.
    • The extremely limited printing options with HP only products is ridiculous. I know there are some paid Apps out there that offer WIFI printing using a PC as a Print Server, but something so basic as printing over WIFI should be universally part of the OS.
    • Document editing thus far is brutal. I downloaded Pages hoping to improve the experience and just hate it. It's so unintuitive and a PITA to do simple tasks I do every day in Word. I'm ready to delete the App which I paid $10 for.
    • The camera Connection kit is a joke. It won't accept images transferred to an SD card unless they're in a DCIM folder and the file names haven't been edited. That forces me to syn photos through iTunes which is truly a PITA.
    • Why can't I use a USB drive for file transfer?
    • The lack of access to software I use everyday at work and home, like Word, Excel, Quicken. Pages is no Word, Numbers gets poor reviews as an Excel replacement, and there is nothing for Quicken, which I often move data files from work to home and back.

As soon as a stable Jailbreak is out for iOS 4.3 I plan to JB it and hopefully open it up from some of its limitations. But what else can I do in the interim? Am I missing some uber App that makes the iPad great?

Help me find a way love my iPad. I really want to. Honest! What am I missing that will make for a better experience?

2. njchris macrumors regular

njchris

It sounds like you are looking for it to be a TOTAL laptop replacement. Which it really isn't.

3. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

The only way I was able to make my iPad into a no holds barred device was Jail Break and install iFile.

With iFile your CONS list would be much smaller.

4. Preds thread starter macrumors member

I can't disagree with you there, though I didn't expect it to completely replace my netbook at home.

At a minimum I was hoping I could replace my netbook when traveling, but so far I just can't see that happening.

5. deeddawg macrumors 604

6. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

OP just hasn't spent the time to figure out the apps that will do what he wants his iPad to do.

Three apps to download that will go a long ways in solving your woes: Goodreader, Documents To Go and Dropbox. Learn 'em. Love 'em.

7. Preds thread starter macrumors member

Good, I'm waiting on the 4.3 JB. I screwed up by letting iTunes upgrade the iOS when I first set it up. It came with 3.2 and I wanted to upgrade to 4.2.1 but iTunes wouldn't allow it. Tried downloading 4.2.1, putting it in the updates folder, etc, but iTunes wouldn't recognize it because 4.3 was available. I caved and let 4.3 instal, knowing I'd have to wait for the jailbreak.

Hoping JB will truly help some of the limitations.

8. Preds thread starter macrumors member

I have dropbox. I've looked at Goodreader but don't truly understand it's benefits (aside from editing PDF's). Does Goodreader offer more than PDF editing? Document's to Go I'll have to look into. Thanks for the tip.

9. huck500 macrumors 6502

huck500

Did you ask your friends why they love their iPads? I love mine for reading, watching movies and Netflix, light web browsing, and browsing photos. If I wanted a portable device for document editing, photo management, full-on web browsing, etc., I'd stick with a netbook or laptop. You can do much of it with an iPad, but since you're used to the netbook it'll be a hard transition.

Good luck!

10. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

jailbreak your device, then get back to us. seriously do it.

11. andothfc macrumors regular

Yep, this will solve many of your document issues. If you want to keep using Pages have a look at DropDav, which allows you to use DropBox and Pages.

If you're just writing text (as opposed to any page layout stuff) you should look at Simplenote or Elements. Seemless sync with Dropbox makes them a joy to use.

I write all day as part of my job and it's been so much easier since I broke the habit of using a word processor when all I needed was plain text.

What exactly are your issues on the photo management side?

12. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

Op,

you said you have had every iPhone. This means that you already knew exactly what the ipad could and couldnt do. Its not like you were totaly new to iOS like some people. U have been with iOS since DAY 1. You have to be a little smarter in the future. But if u have money to burn like that, then this is no biggie.

13. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

If you get this into your head you'll be a lot happier: "iPad is a consumption device, not a creation device"

14. Preds thread starter macrumors member

That's an interesting, and apparently accurate take.

15. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

As someone mentioned above, it does seem that you are looking for a netbook replacement. The iPad is not there as of yet....

Been a very happy owner of the iPad since last year. I feel your frustrations with some of what you posted above... but learning to deal with it w/o jail braking...

The one I agree with is:

• HP only being supported so...

IMO the others are just hoping that the iPad could be a netbook at this point. Which the iPad has not be been positioned as.

While I hope for the features that you were looking for...

16. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

Felt exactly the same last year Preds :p After the initial hype wore off and I just got on with using the iPad I just couldn't help feel that I had made a mistake. I just didn't need to use it, and for most tasks I just preferred to use my Macbook Pro.

I did have to lower my expectations some what (though jailbreaking did make me feel a bit better about my purchase) and accept that for most tasks, it is purely a basic, though efficient consumption device. For the most part my iPad was left downstairs in the lounge for web browsing, reading ebooks or to catch up with my downloaded TV programmes.

This thread is really making me reconsider an iPad 2 now :eek:, if only we got ABC player and Netflix over here in the UK...

17. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

If it cannot replace your netbook while at home and you did not expect that to happen then how is it that you thought it would replace your netbook on the go? What do you do at home that is different than what you do while on the go as far as a netbook goes? If you told me it didn't replace the laptop on the go I would understand and say it likely never will.

There are shortcomings to the iPad but somehow it replaced my netbook at home. Then again, I use my MP for all the heavy lifting. The netbook was a couch surfer as is the iPad.

18. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Return it and wait for the motorola xoom or samsung tab

19. Carouser macrumors 65816

You are hoping the iPad will do things it is neither designed nor meant to do. Any work-arounds will feel like work-arounds.

If you need an Office suite for editing, you need a device intended to run such a thing.

It's not designed around a typical filesystem GUI (thus your cons of not being able to use a USB drive for filetransfer or drag/drop files).

What kind of data are you having trouble moving back and forth with iTunes?

One alternative: the problem isn't the iPad, it's your workflow. On a desktop computer, when I need to send something to someone, I open up my mail program, write the e-mail, go looking around folders for the file, attach it, and send. In iOS, I just find the thing on-line (or host it on-line) and send a link. Same result, different approach. The former process is also a waste of time, I've learned. Similarly, I use Google Docs with iOS. Done.

20. bpd115 macrumors 6502a

bpd115

FYI, I'm not sure about the Windows side, but I know on the Mac you can install the Airprint hack and just print to your shared printer whatever it may be.

I routinely print to my shared Brother Laser printer from my iPhone and iPad.

Before this, Air Sharing (similar file management like GoodReader) allowed me to print to shared network printers.

21. DreamSTi macrumors member

Xoom is already out.

22. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

I'm underwhelmed with the whole iPad experience, personally.

I think it's more of an App selling device, than any type of necessity.

23. Bheleu macrumors 6502

Doah

Coworker showed me his smartphone and an app he has that shows available wi fi networks, db level, frequency bands, etc. well I figured there was an app for that on the iPad, but nope, I guess that would require too much access to the hardware because nothing exists that mimic it on a non-jail broken iPad outside of databases others have put together.

Control vs wild west innovation, maybe there is some truth in apple bashing.

24. bpd115 macrumors 6502a

bpd115

What is any computing device without Applications?

25. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

you can also use an airport express and plug a printer in via USB to it and Airprint. That's what i use on the go(i have a very small printer i throw in the luggage). works pretty well.