Am I really luck or did AT&T ship my phone today after I ordered it today?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by frostrambler, Sep 27, 2013.

1. frostrambler macrumors member

Anyone thats ordered from AT&T before, tell me what this means, I ordered a 32gb 5s black this morning at 11am. They said 7-14 days, October 7th to October 14th.

However I just got home from work at 6:35 pm and my order status says processing, but the "shipping date" date says 9/27/13 and the carrier says FEDX. Is it possible that it will ship today? It still says Shipping Status (In Progress) but shipping date 9/27/13 and the assignment of a carrier makes me hopeful.

2. robertopod1968 macrumors member

I ordered mine yesterday and got it today from AT&T. Great customer service!

3. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

4. AtlasBoy macrumors 6502

Happened to me last year. It was 2 or 3 weeks after the iPhone 5 launch. I ordered from AT&T over the phone, and got a shipment email that night. I thought it had to be a mistake because there was still a lot of people waiting for phones. Sure enough, it was delivered the next day. I took it into the AT&T store to activate it (was doing a swap upgrade) and the guy in the store was blown away. He said their pre order online orders still had long wait times.

5. frostrambler thread starter macrumors member

Wow, just got a shipping email from ATT.

I ordered at 12pm today, now its 8pm, it has an active tracking number and is estimated to be at my home on Monday. I am impressed... thankfully I resisted the urge to call in today and go wait in line at one of the NYC apple stores, especially since they all appear sold out.

Also, I am happy I wanted the 32gb black :)

6. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

This. People are walking in and out with Space Grey phones in about 10 minutes :D

7. frostrambler thread starter macrumors member

Not in NYC they are not, thats why I ordered.

8. Fhaoilgeal macrumors newbie

Thanks for starting this thread...

Reading this thread last night and seeing that AT&T gave shipment estimates for the iPhone 5S of 7-14 business days on their website, I canceled my Apple order from 21 September for a 5S Space Grey 64 GB iPhone. About 15 minutes later my upgrade availability was reset and I used the AT&T website to place my new order for the 5S Space Grey 64GB.

Just got my shipment notification email from AT&T with a delivery date of 30 September - after 8 pm.
    Shipping (using FedEx) from Fort Worth - and I'm in Dallas.

Even if something happens and the phone doesn't get here Monday, I'm enjoying the impression of progress.

Thanks again for this thread - very much appreciated! :)

9. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

It seems like last year Apple hoarded most of the stock for itself. This year 2nd (AT&T) and 3rd parties (BestBuy, Frys, etc) are getting a good supply.

10. KPOM macrumors G5

The analysts unimpressed by the 9 million weekend sales will probably say Apple needed to inflate FY13 sales by filling the channel. Today's the last day of Apple's fiscal year.

11. Carlos22Dayday macrumors 6502

That's great to hear man! I've been out all morning looking for a space grey 16gb 5s for att and no luck so far. I saw this thread and I thought id give it a shot. I just placed my order on the att website. Hopefully I get a shipping notification soon too!

12. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

space gray is in abundance...
    also wait until you get your tracking number, that is the only thing you can be sure of after ordering w/ AT&T

13. clabern macrumors newbie

I certainly wish this was the case for the Verizon variant... Ordered my 32GB Space Grey via our business account yesterday and says it'll ship by 10/28. Lame!

14. Island Roots macrumors regular

I was going to do the same but was told over the phone with AT&T that once the order is submitted, I cannot cancel it. So in the event it doesn't ship quickly like the posters above and instead ships in the 7-14 business days they quoted, there is no way I can cancel it if I find it elsewhere.

15. Fhaoilgeal macrumors newbie

Wish you good luck on your order!

My joy is somewhat tempered by this MacRumors' thread on phones being stolen while in the custody of the carrier.
    I must be really naive because it never occurred to me that this was even a possibility.
    Note to self: OPEN the box before signing the receipt!

16. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

This happens very seldom, but it does happen. I would bet yours will arrive just fine.

17. melpote macrumors member

melpote

I ordered my silver 64GB 5s from AT&T on the 25. They gave me a ship date of Oct 28-Nov 5th. It was shipped two days ago! My iPhone is now at home waiting on me.
    Someone on another thread told me that AT&T has way overstated their ship dates.
    I am so excited that I didn't settle for the space grey and the 32GB but ordered what I really wanted and it came so quickly!!

18. Carlos22Dayday macrumors 6502

Thanks for the heads up man, will definitely check for that. I got an update on my status, it went from processing to "preparing to ship" but it still has the estimated delivery of 7-14 days.

19. Fhaoilgeal macrumors newbie

My order was in 'processing' most of the morning today and then went into 'preparing to ship'...and 'boom' the magic 'shipped' email from AT&T around 12:45 p.m. So from 8:45 p.m. last night to 12:45 p.m. today to complete and ship the iPhone. About sixteen hours turn around.

I think that you seeing movement is a good sign. I didn't see any change in the original estimate date until the 'shipping' email. I hope you get the 'shipped' news soon. :apple:

The consensus on checking the Fed Ex package before signing the receipt seems to be that Fed Ex (or any carrier) will just take the package back if you don't sign before accepting the delivery. I'll ask the delivery man (at the very least) if he'll wait while I open the package just to ensure if any trouble happens I can document it with him for AT&T. Probably no issues, but better safe than...

20. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

If I'm understanding you correctly, AT&T lied. I canceled my order with them 3 days after placing it with no trouble at all.

21. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

Nice OP!! I ordered my verizon iPhone 5S space grey 64 gb this morning and I have a ship date of October 28th. There was one iPhone 5S space grey at my local vow store in jersey last week but I declined as I wanted 64 gb.

22. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

AT&T has specific rules for when an order can be cancelled and to be honest I don't know what they are. I cancelled an order on launch day but once the order gets to a certain point they won't.

23. Fhaoilgeal macrumors newbie

Well, Lucille, you were quite right. :D

My iPhone 5S Space Grey 64GB phone was Fed Ex delivered at 2:16 pm and the phone was in the box!

Strangely Fed Ex rang the door bell, but then left the box behind a brick pillar on the porch. By the time I got the door opened the driver was already back at his truck.

When I checked the Fed Ex website it said the shipment was 'release authorized'. Not sure how or what that is as I didn't sign into Fed Ex at any point in this process. Maybe AT&T does this?

Still, am happy the phone arrived. Now to while away many hours figuring out how to set up the iPhone and get started - I've upgrading from an iPhone 4 which has been a great phone for me.

Good luck to everyone else waiting on their orders or trying to score a phone!

24. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

We are all very glad your adventure ended happy:)

25. Legends20036 macrumors member

But he got a BLACK 5s, not space gray!

Sorry, had to poke fun at Apple for the color change.