Am I Screwed?? Is There Any Hope for My poor iPod Touch??

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Austin2048, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Austin2048 macrumors 6502

Austin2048

hey.... ive got bad news, my iPod screen cracked =( i dropped it in the worst possible spot and it clipped the corner of my stereo which was in the middle of my bedroom floor cuz i was re wiring it =( my iPod got 2 cracks across it. i was planning on taking it to apple to get it replaced cuz there is dust under it but now i dont know if apple will say the dust got there from the cracks. what will they say? the touch screen works 100%. will apple still replace it? does the crack void my warranty? i dont know what to do:confused:

here are a few pics of the cracks. if you need more just ask.....

the white screen is just my flashlight app, it just makes it easier to see the cracks

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/9761/dscn3968.jpg
    http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/1867/dscn3971e.jpg
    http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/5479/dscn3970.jpg

2. ritsard macrumors regular

ritsard

I would think that apple wouldnt replace it. I know someone who cracked their iphone screen and just replaced it and it looks fine. Look up some stuff online maybe its the same for ipod touch's

3. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPod touch 32GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C97d Safari/528.16)

I think you can say with 99% certainty that your warranty will be void and there's no way Apple will replace it for free.

4. Austin2048 thread starter macrumors 6502

Austin2048

so what are my options beside buying a new one? how much does a screen replacement cost? if i go in the apple store and make an emotional scene do you think they'd replace it?

5. Tailpike1153 macrumors 6502a

Tailpike1153

Not completely screwed

Apple probably won't fix ore replace it. But if you aren't squeamish, you can try the do it yourself route. there are lots of places that are selling iPod parts. iresq, ifixit or rapid repair. Some places will do the repair for you for a fee off course. Good luck.

6. Tailpike1153 macrumors 6502a

Tailpike1153

Not completely screwed

Apple probably won't fix ore replace it. But if you aren't squeamish, you can try the do it yourself route. there are lots of places that are selling iPod parts. iresq, ifixit or rapid repair. Some places will do the repair for you, for a fee of course. Good luck.

7. Austin2048 thread starter macrumors 6502

Austin2048

ive always wanted to get my hands deep inside my iPod touch..... would i get all the pro tools to fix it? and about how much do they cost? its just the glass, not the LCD or touch thing below it

8. pilotrtc macrumors regular

I know someone who shattered the screen of his iPhone. He sent it off and had it repaired for, I think, less than $100 and 3 days. A bit of "Googling" might help.

9. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

10. ctdonath macrumors 65816

ctdonath

Talk to Apple first. Just takes a short phone call, email, or trip to the store.
    They can't help you if you don't ask.