Am I seriously the only one who thinks the iPhone 5 is great, but really ugly?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by itisjoey, Sep 17, 2012.

1. itisjoey macrumors newbie

itisjoey

I'm a designer. I'm in love with the appearance of my iPhone 4S. It's simple, clean, elegant, and generally amazing.

When I saw the design of the iPhone 5, I thought that it was pretty awesome. A bigger screen? Awesome! Faster? Awesome! Sign me up.

But then I saw the backplate. What the ****? Was someone drunk? This can't be real, I thought.

But sure enough, it was real, and now it's an actual product...

It's like they put no thought at all into the design of the backplate. The two tone, brushed and glossy, don't make sense at all in size/design. It's not an equal distance from the top and bottom of the camera, it doesn't match the borders of the front of the phone, it's just placed in a really ugly spot right underneath the camera.

Anyone know if these backplates are easily replaced with a better looking one? I love the shape/design of the phone otherwise, but damn this two toned **** needs to be covered up.

2. Surely Guest

Surely

You haven't even seen one live yet. Get a grip.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You may not be the only one, but you are probably in the minority
    I think it looks pretty good myself

4. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

I think the black back looks extremely classy.

5. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I think the black is fugly. Looks like a TV remote.

6. ejisfun macrumors regular

I think the black back looks great, but the white one looks hideous. I just don't think the white and silver go together well at all.

7. itisjoey thread starter macrumors newbie

itisjoey

I agree, but wish it was one tone. All glossy or all brushed. To me, this looks like a design concept Microsoft would slap on a tablet or a laptop.

8. Tom2893 macrumors 6502

Tom2893

haha yeah a few people and me agree the 5 sortve looks like a tv remote.. just tall and not wider

9. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Exactly this

10. iregret macrumors 6502

I think I'll be looking at the front more than the back.

11. zbarvian macrumors 68010

That's because Apple is beyond your conventional design wisdom!

They operate in a different realm, where earthly canons like ratios and conflicting finishes are of no concern to them.

12. itisjoey thread starter macrumors newbie

itisjoey

Basically.

13. SprSynJn Guest

I like how you start off with you being a designer. Not really important I think. You do have your opinion of course, and I'm not questioning that. I thought the prototype that was leaked was a bit on the ugly side yes, but the model that Apple showed was much better than I expected. Oddly I fell for it and will be getting a black one. Thing looks really cool.

14. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

No your not. I've said the two tone back was ugly since the rumored photos first appeared. I still think it's ugly. But, I could care less. It's going to be in a case and I'll never see the back. Only time will tell but I have a serious inkling the back will show scratches like crazy. For whatever reason Apple doesn't like using materials that wear well.

15. irDigital0l Guest

Looks like the best iPhone yet.

Although I would say the dimensions are kinda awkward.

16. CyBeRino macrumors 6502a

I work with designers.

It's terrible. They always think they know everything.

Anyway,

----------

They they've been going very well together on many an Apple product. The Mac mini, for instance. (Original model-- not the current one.)

17. Cory Bauer macrumors 6502a

The two-tone back stopped bothering me when the leaked shells started showing up with the black anodized band instead of silver; this to me balanced things out. The two-tone back with the 4S's silver band would have been really ugly though.

18. armoredsaint macrumors regular

armoredsaint

19. CyBeRino macrumors 6502a

From what I've seen, no. Unlike the iPhones before (and most notably the 4/4S), there is not so much a "back plate" as there is a unibody-type construction going on. So at that point you'd basically be replacing the entire phone's casing.

20. armyxrays macrumors member

Uh... buy a case and slap it on?

21. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

You're never going to be able to color match or texture match aluminum and glass and attempting to do so would be bad design.
    Accentuating the difference is called good design.
    :p

22. bszelda macrumors newbie

I'd much rather have the backing of the iPhone 5 instead of the easy-to-scratch reflective aluminum. :p

23. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

I'm actually getting pushed over the fence to buy an iPhone 5 BECAUSE of the design. I think it looks great and, I'll bet, feels great in the hand. Love me some aluminuminuminums.

24. LYFK macrumors regular

As a designer, you know it isn't always just about looks, at least where Apple is concerned. You might want to check out this gem of an analysis by Don Lehman from back in August:

http://thetechblock.com/the-unibody-iphone

So the backplate has a function which outwardly addresses antenna issues from previous gen iPhones.

In my mind that makes it more than beautiful, it's GOOD design because for (among many reasons), it's honest.