Am I the only one annoyed by these "but the iPad Pro is not a real laptop replacement!"

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ksb315, Nov 16, 2015.

1. ksb315 macrumors newbie

If you are on macrumors then of course it's not a real laptop replacement FOR YOU and it will likely never be - if apple did make the ipad a true replacement it would be killing a huge portion of its own business by doing so. For many though (even possibly the majority) it is a laptop replacement.. think of all the people who just use their computer to check the web, comment on forums, check email, etc.. This does not mean the ipad is just for casual users though. With the addition of the pencil I believe the pro will become a great companion device for any professional that requires it, especially with astropad.

2. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

It really depends on what you do. If you're a writer and photoshopper you might desire a full fledged keyboard with numeric pad or a 27" screen for your photographs. Together with a file system you can use at the same time.

But if you are someone that just does some writing, some image editing, and doesn't require a file system, or other use cases like those, it's a great replacement for a laptop.

The discussions help give people perspective, and share experiences, I don't see that as a bad thing. The bickering and fanboyism stuff I just skip over.

3. draughn101 macrumors regular

It will be for me, but I've gone a few months without a computer and use my 6plus for most things. If I really need something I use the computer at work or sneak onto my wife's. I use it for consumption for the most part, and regular day to day emails, browsing, and some writing. Most of that is better done on a tablet.

My last computer/tablet was a Surface Pro 3, which blew me away with how innovative it was and how well built it was. The only downside for me was the bad tablet mode and the complete lack of apps.

I don't think either of these products is perfect, but you have to weigh the pros and cons to determine what's best for you. I don't think there's every going to be a product that everyone will completely agree on. In my use case the iPP will be the best for me. I was leaning toward the retina MacBook, but the LTE option put me over the top for this one.

4. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

What did you find innovative about the surface pro 3? The kickstand, stylus and/or the touchscreen....?

5. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

I would like share my thoughts previously posted on another thread.

Do not buy the iPP unless you can really take advantage of the Apple Pencil. Drawing and inking (note taking) is the main selling point of the iPP. The bigger screen is to facilitate better drawing and inking, but also improves the experience of many other apps. However, the iPad Pro is still an iPad. The bigger screen alone, will NOT work magic to make it functions like a full computer, despite the faster hardware.

When Tim Cook said "it will replace a computer for many, many people", he is not wrong because many does not mean everyone. He carefully chose the use of word, not to even use "most" people. Importantly, there is nothing miracle about the iPad Pro compared to Air 2. The Pencil and larger screen are the main features that set the Pro apart. Again, neither will turn the iPad into a workstation computer.

Set your expectation right about the iPad Pro before buying one. By the way, the 12.9" screen does make the iPP heavier and less portable. Apple has not invented the technology to defy the law of physics. It is apparently not obvious to some.

6. draughn101 macrumors regular

Yea I felt like the whole package was innovative. The kickstand is pretty incredible, reliable, works in all cases, and doesn't really add any bulk. The stylus was great too. I know this may not count , but the surface cover was good too. The typing experience was really good, not as good as a MacBook, but good, and the trackpad was pretty good too, although a little small. The new surface cover is what made the decision to go with IPP a little more difficult. The trackpad is even better, and lager, and the keyboard/keys are incredible! Much better than the Dell XPS and getting really close to that MacBook Pro feel.

7. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

People forget that there are many many people, like my parents, who have an iMac at home (an old 2007 iMac probably) which they have in the event that they need to access the internet, create or access some document, to shop for something online, and that's probably about it.

Most of their browsing is probably now done on their iPhones, but if they were shopping for a new computer today, they could probably get by just fine with an iPad pro and its keyboard accessory.

8. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

This all over; no device will be everything to everyone, but it certainly can be most things to someone. Honestly, I scoffed at the idea of the iPad Pro when it was announced; my wife is the one who really saw that it had potential and convinced me to give it a second look. When I got my hands on it, though, I did a complete 180 and really saw what I would be able to do with it, and she bought it for me. I really do think it's an awesome mobile device that can do 99% of what I was doing with my rMBP, and so for me yes it's a laptop replacement.

The iPad forum has helped me to rediscover the power of the Ignore function; this is quickly becoming a much more pleasant place to socialize with my fellow iPP fans. ;) Thoughtful discussion and comments on why the iPP isn't for some folks doesn't bother me and makes for good reading; troll baiting and attempts to inflame people ruin the experience for everyone.

9. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

From a hardware perspective, I think that there's a lot to like about the SP devices; I personally prefer not to have a fan, but in a lot of ways the SP line has been innovative. Where it lets me down is the software; Windows still does not make a great tablet OS, in my experience, and so it's not the route I would choose to take when buying one. I do certainly understand why people do choose Windows tablets (I have personally tried two Windows tablets and a 2-in-1 laptop) but for me it's not just not what I'm looking for in a device like that.

10. Mystro macrumors 6502

Mystro

Do a search,..this topic has been discussed over and over on many many threads.

11. HelloMikee macrumors 6502a

HelloMikee

I think it's more of a replacement for people who use their laptops for things like media consumption, normal computing, social media, researching, emails, etc. People like most of my friends and family who aren't running desktop heavy programs.

Not so much a replacement for creative professionals like myself however I think it's going to be a GREAT tool in helping me do things quicker. I cannot wait to get this damn pencil so I can start using it to request changes and marking notes on mock ups for designs.

Right now I'm either bringing the document into photoshop and noting or printing out, marking it up and then faxing/scanning.

I can also use this in meeting to show mock ups, research, charts, etc.

What I can't do is create final designs but I wasn't looking at an iPad to do such work.

12. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

Too many people are eager to share their own view as though it was the only one. Sites like this one are somehow like... irresistible bait to these people. I don't know what it is that drives people to come to an enthusiast site to talk down on the thing people are enthusiastic about. It's like seeking someone out just to say you don't like their choice of shoes. Who would even do that?

Anyway, all I can say about laptop replacement is that I don't even use a laptop. I don't need one. No reasonably portable notebook comes anywhere near the performance of my iMac and I wouldn't want to maintain multiple working environments anyway. But, I will be using my iPad Pro, from time to time, to remotely access this environment. That's why I'm interested in the pro. I want the larger screen for this reason. I like other aspects too, but, screen size is the most relevant thing to me. I will use my iPad Pro to do peripheral tasks for my profession outside the confines of the office. Of course, I could do it with a notebook, but, I enjoy iOS and iPad. I enjoy the integration it offers, the quiet it offers, the power without fans it offers. It's an elegant user experience to a point, even at a "professional" level. But, I mean, so is a pencil and pad.

The fact is, I already "replaced" the notebook computer with iPad Mini, but, iPad Mini is really not appropriate for remote desktop sessions accessing IntelliJ IDEA or Visual Studio. Furthermore, I often find myself setting up my iPad on its stand and using it there, tapping to move on to another page or watching a video/webcast on a topic of interest (as a developer, one spend a large amount of time learning new skills and sometimes the best resource is, unfortunately, a video.) The reality is, I don't need the device to be ultra light. I really just prefer iOS devices for the way it feels to use them compared to other platforms. I may mention that I am not personally opposed to the idea of a merged OS or something like what MS does with Windows and tablet mode, but, I also recognize how negatively this would impact the availability of software for either environment and respect Apple's position on the matter. I would probably be attracted to the Surface Pro or Surface Book if they weren't running Windows. Windows is a liability. And Windows suffers from tablet mode app shortage. Frankly, I have a ton of software on iOS that I already really like and would be frustrated constantly by its absence on Windows.

Finally, I personally know people whose computer use for personal reasons never stretches beyond their phone at this point. They only use notebooks/desktops for work or when forced by school, etc. For these people, the notebook is already replaced and it wasn't by iPad, it was by iPhone. All an iPad is for these people is a bigger phone. Which is great! No need to complicate it further than that. We love our phones and it's not just because they come everywhere. It's because they work SO WELL compared to desktop computers. User experience within the scope of tasks commonly performed on phones is light years ahead of desktop computer UX. iPad is just an extension of that experience with a bigger screen making some things more practical or simply more enjoyable.

Apple is not at all claiming that iPad Pro is replacing notebooks and desktops for everyone. Pointing out how it won't replace these things for any particular use case is about as far from useful, interesting, or profound as you can get. Frankly, it's tiring. It's far more interesting to hear about people who have moved to iPad in situations that are maybe not so obvious.

13. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

For some people it will be a laptop replacement but for others, no. The iPad Pro does a lot for sure but personally if I had to choose, I would choose a laptop. The laptop (or desktop) is still king as far as overall functionality and features.

14. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

It's not for me but that doesn't stop me from loving it and using it. I think some of the people think all devices they buy should do everything. I'm not one of those people. I think certain devices are better suited to certain tasks based on the technology thats available today....JMO

15. Mainsail macrumors 6502a

I generally agree with the OP. If I bought an iPad Pro, it would be for the larger screen to facilitate multi-tasking and for the drawing and note taking ability with the pencil (which is also facilitated by the larger screen). I would still need to have some type of traditional computer, but I might downsize to a Mac Mini rather than replace my MBA when it gives up the ghost, since I would expect to be doing a higher proportion of computing no my iPad Pro. Well, that's the only way I could justify the expense of an iPad pro.

Also, I think Tim has recently tried to clarify his position on the iPad as a laptop replacement (see Tim's interview with the Irish Independent featured on MR this morning).

As a separate note, the size of the iPad pro requires some trade-offs and compromises. Most touch screen devices are designed to be held, but the iPad Pro is probably too heavy for extended hand-holding. For this reason, more than any other iPad, the user experience of the Pro will be greatly influenced by the type of case the user selects. I would get a good folio case (i.e. Incase book jacket) that allows the screen to be propped into various positions for viewing, so I could have a stable working platform while the iPad is on my lap. The pencil is an important alternative input mechanism, so I would select a case with a place to store the pencil.

16. Beavix macrumors 6502a

Beavix

OP, think about this: some of us love using the iPad so much that we would really, really like it to replace our laptops. I'm not happy carrying two devices with me. I like my 15" rMBP, but the iPad has the potential to offer a more exciting experience. Unfortunately I can't use it for work so for me it's not a laptop replacement. But I wish it was.

17. TurboPGT! macrumors 68000

What...? If it sucked at being a tablet, and there are no Apps, then where is the innovation? All you did was get an overpriced PC laptop.

18. TurboPGT! macrumors 68000

The simple concept that iPad Pro (just like the iPad regular) will replace a laptop for a lot of people that don't really need a laptop, is lost on the childish trolls that smear their rants all over this forum.

19. Gator Bob macrumors regular

20. AttilaTheHun macrumors 6502a

AttilaTheHun

I don't want it as laptop I want it as a tablet only

21. Gator Bob macrumors regular

My new iPad Pro is doing the job very nicely. I will sell my 2012 15" Retina MacBook Pro and Dell UP2414Q display and use my wife's identical MacBook Pro setup as my computer hardware, booting to my old computer's backup image on an external solid state drive. In other words we'll share her hardware using two different Apple OS X hard drives. At this point, my only need for a "real" computer is to occasionally sync and backup my iPad Plus and iPhone and run a very occasional real computer program.

22. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Well, Tim Cook questioned why ayone would buy a PC these days. So, the iPad pro MUST be a laptop replacement. Right? Oh wait..??? :)

23. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

[​IMG]

24. ksb315 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just wanted to add: For me going forward (currently own a macbook pro) I think my next PC will be a imac or mac mini, I feel I no longer need a laptop, as the only time I really needed portability was for minor tasks / content consumption anyway, when my macbook is at my desk it's closed attached to two monitors. I had an ipad 3 prior to the ipad pro I just received, and it just wasn't there for me, the screen was just a little too small for my tastes... the ipad pro is the sweet spot for my aging eyes :p

25. TurboPGT! macrumors 68000

How is it so hard to understand? For a long time a laptop was the only decent way to do any of the things that make up 90% of the iPad's features. Now, people that only do those things have no reason to get anything but iPad.
    iPad Pro takes another step forward, and grabs even more people from the business user market.
    Not all of them. And that's fine. It will never be "all". It will be "alot". And then, "alot more". Etc.