Am I the only one completely underwhelmed by every aspect of 2015 ATV?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by mellofello, Sep 9, 2015.

1. mellofello macrumors 65816

That was the biggest landed with a thud new product keynote in recent memory.

I personally have waited with baited breath for years to see the new ATV. Now I am certain that it is a skip.

I new we were in trouble when the opening feature was a screensaver. After the next 10 minutes of time dedicated to Siri integration I will never use, and games that I will never play.

I guess they did the best they could since the real innovation will be breaking down the walls between content providers, and offering up a all you can watch package at a reasonable price. That is still in the pipeline so this is just the hardware that will play it.

However on the hardware side I see few if any reasons to upgrade.

No 4k
    Convoluted remote
    $150 price point

I will reserve judgement until they get their streaming service off the ground, but as it stands this was one of the most anticlimactic launches in years.

2. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

I am really excited about it, there was nothing else announced that I plan to buy.

3. Noble Actual macrumors 6502a

Yea, it seems like Apple gave up on their original bold idea of completely changing the TV industry like what they did with the music, phone, tablet, etc. Realized even they couldn't find a why to get around the retarded cable companies.

So they kinda just went easy way and did something they could have done like 5 years earlier, just make the Apple TV another device where you can use apps.

Honestly, I think Microsoft is in a better position in changing TV with the Xbox One than Apple is. Apple is going a completely different route. Have a Xbox One, and have to say, its pretty great at TV (makes a universal UI for easy searching, can search through voice just like Siri, there's Sling TV, there's all the standard apps (Netflix, HBO, etc.), and you don't have to use cable.

4. zohebbilal macrumors newbie

Honestly speaking I was never fan of Apple TV but from today it all changed yes I liked it its a new innovation.

5. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Less than 5 percent of households in North America have a 4K TV. The size of these files over the Internet would bust the data limits of anybody. I'm filling up enough hard disks with just HD video. Infrastructure isn't ready for 4K, so I'm not sure why people think Apple would make it a priority right now.

6. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

We just recently bought a 1080p TV so the need for 4K (for me) is non existent right now. I really like the new Apple TV.

7. oneMadRssn, Sep 9, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2015

oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I'm not sure what unrealistic expectations the OP had, but this ATV seems to check almost* all the boxes.

App store? Check
    Universal search? Maybe check - unsure whether truly universal or limited only to included apps.
    More internal storage? Check
    Faster CPU? Check
    More RAM? Check

In terms of content, the app store is a really really big deal. This could potentially allow a lot more exposure to indie content producers. What the iphone app store did for written content creators, the ATV app store can do for multimedia content creators. Youtube channels are nice, but don't allow the customization that a personal app would allow. I'm looking forward to some of my favorite youtube channels making their own ATV apps and publishing their content that way, where they can have more control over the experience.

Old media is old. While it would have been cute if Apple announced something like SlingTV, I'm glad they didn't and hope they don't. SlingTV, and the like, are recreations of old media on a new delivery. It doesn't fit. The concept of a channel is outdated. I'm really looking forward to see what apps people create.

* Yes it doesn't have 4k or HDMI 2.0. There are lots of technical reasons that others have already said in this forum why 4k is not quite ready for the mainstream. I'm glad Apple didn't jump into the 4k bandwagon too early and endorse a technology that isn't quite ready yet. I'm sure 95% of buyers don't care. Engadget had a good article the other day that really mirrored my thoughts. 4k is boring. Going to SD to 1080p was a huge leap, and it was exciting. Going from 1080p to 4k isn't. I think most people see it as a money grab or gimmick when they can't tell the difference: when it doesn't make much difference on TVs smaller than 60" or when you sit more than 6 feet away. Apps will wow people (I hope). 4k doesn't wow any casual viewers.

8. jbachandouris, Sep 9, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2015

jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

I'm underwhelmed as well. I barely use my present Apple TV and this version does not convince me to upgrade.

I still think it's better than previous, but not for me.

EDIT: By mid October I may change my mind...;)

9. mellofello thread starter macrumors 65816

I instantly assume every 4k naysayer does not own a 4k TV. Irregardless of what the charts say, 4k makes a huge difference in quality.

I was binge watching dare devil on Netflix and took a break to watch something on Hulu. My tv Hulu app is terrible so I fired up the ATV3. After watching laziness took over and I just went to ATV Netflix app.

For a time this was the gold standard of picture quality. I have done tests with the same content streaming on Xbox 360, PS3, and ATV and just switching inputs. ATV was the best, hands down.

However after watching the 4k it was night and day difference. 1080p streams look pretty good but usually are around 11mbps for super HD. Netflix 4k can top 40mbps and all that extra data leads to a stunning blu Ray rivaling picture.

I ran the same test with the same episode playing on ATV, and my 4k Samsung then switching back. It looks fantastic.

For the very minimal price it would have cost to include 4k this was a huge omission. Flat screen tvs have a lower life span then older models so in a few years people will definitely be pining for 4k.

I guess apple will be ready to take another $150 off of you at that point.

10. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I'd rather hear that from someone who doesn't own a 4k TV. Confirmation bias can be strong with large purchases. I cannot imagine anyone ever saying "this thing I just spent $1500+ on isn't really much better than the thing I bought it to replace."

I don't doubt this is true, but this is exactly why 4k is many years away from being mainstream. 53 percent of rural Americans (22 million people) lack access to 25 Mbps internet, according to the FCC's latest report. 17 percent of all Americans (55 million people) lack access to 25 Mbps service. Forget 40Mbps, 25Mbps isn't even common enough yet.

Add that to the other factors: Imagine the ideal 4k TV buyer, what are the criteria?
    - Must have access to 50Mbps internet
    - Must have a living room large enough to warrant a 65"+ TV
    - Must have an older TV that is no longer functioning so well
    - Must be able to afford a new TV
    Add those up. What % of the population fits that criteria?

This is patently false. I'm sure the manufacturers want you to think the life span is lower, but it isn't. CRTs lasted far less as tubes burned out and got dimmer. CRTs were also more susceptible to damage (very sensitive to electromagnetic oddities, either in the power line or in the general area). A modern LED-backlit LCD unit will easily last decades, provided you give it a good dusting every so often.

11. chukronos macrumors 6502

4K tvs are selling faster than projected. They make up 35% of 60" and larger tv sales.

12. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

I will admit that a 4K TV playing a 4k video (like what you see in the store displays), looks better than the 1080p TV next to it. That being said the difference is not enough to justify the price difference. I have skipped the whole blu-ray wave of the last few years. I am just now starting to replace my collection of ripped DVD's with HD movies from iTunes.

I have a new 65" 1080p TV and will most likely have it for 10 years.

13. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

Siri navigation
    Best-in-class remote
    App store
    Console-level gaming
    Universal search
    Getting YouTube back

That's more than enough win for me. Not to mention the speed-bump and what will likely be a more stable AirPlay connection for my home movies via iPhone.

And all it will take is one killer app for ATV, something that makes you go 'whoa' and that'll be the deal sealer for those on the fence.

BJ

14. Dc2006ster macrumors regular

I am interested because of the possibility that developers will produce apps I want.

For a while now I have been using Plex on a PS3 and a few PS3 TV apps. I have considered using a Mac Mini because I prefer local storage to streaming but if Plex can develop an app for this new Apple TV that allows me to use their channels, I will likely buy the Apple TV instead.

15. LNYMRKO macrumors regular

16. Butchie-T, Sep 9, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2015

Butchie-T macrumors regular

Lukewarm reception for me. Although I will get one only because I waited until this one came out to get my first one. But yeah, lukewarm reception for sure.

17. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Its not relevant.
    Few people have ethernet connections faster than 25mbps.
    1080p h264 streams are in the 5-8mbps range.

18. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

4K isn't a huge omission until most people have them, which they don't. Not even close.

19. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Exactly. My Apple TV 3 has yet to stutter/have load issues now that it's being fed by an 802.11ac AirPort Extreme (it was bad before with an 802.11n TP-Link router). A lot of people hate the Apple TV not because it sucks* but rather because their routers do, they just think it's the Apple TV.

*talking about loading speed (not UI) which I've seen even well known tech industry people complain about, and they should know better!

20. lllfyc macrumors newbie

4K TV pricing is going down rapidly, it's going to match the price with FHD TV soon (lower end 4K tv of course but still very nice 4K quality).

And the iPhone 6s can shoot 4K video, I have no idea why Apple TV doesn't support 4K ...

if I airplay the 4K content from 6s to the TV via ATV, will it stream 4K video??

21. mellofello thread starter macrumors 65816

Get back to me when you make the jump to 4k in a few years. It really is pretty simple math. The 30 GB movie, looks much better then the 8 GB movie.
    4k vs 1080p is pretty much equivalent to DVD vs bluray picture wise. If you don't care about quality then more power to you, however I buy apple products because I want the best.

Sure there are rural Americans stuck with slow internet, but who cares. Comcasts average internet speeds throughout the USA are over 100mbps, and in my town I have 2 ISPs that provide 300+Mbps.

2 years from now unless you are the type to buy the absolute cheapest no name wal mart TV you will be hard pressed to buy a tv without 4k. I have already seen the 70 inch Vizio drop under $1100 a few times.

It would have probably been less then $5 parts difference to add a future proof hdmi2.0 port. As it stands they are alienating a small fraction of their current installed base, but as more people upgrade the demand will be there, and push them to the competition.

This isn't iOS or OS X where they own the category, and people are locked in. The living room is very much in play, and they need to come with their a game. IMO they fell flat.

22. thepixelpusher macrumors regular

thepixelpusher

Couldn't have said it better.

23. thepixelpusher macrumors regular

thepixelpusher

4K content penetration isn't there yet. Likely in the next revision of this in 2016 it'll be 4K compliant. We now see Apple is finally serious with the Apple TV and will update/support as much as the other devices. In the year you have this ATV 4 you'll get to know it better and when that next rev up to 4K comes it'll just be better imagery all the way around.

Look at the rest of the features that came with this and you can see this is winner in a more total way than similar devices.

Personally, I'm looking for an Apple gaming controller and it didn't come yet. I wanted that more than the 4K.

24. Che Castro macrumors 603

25. shamus99 macrumors regular

4k would be nightmare for apple. People would blame apple for their slow internet speeds. Most people I know have issues streaming 1080. Heck, one of my apple tvs freezes because of its wifi signal despite getting pretty consistent 50m's. Give it time... That being said, I was a little underwhelmed. No must have app, no homekit stuff, no cable packages and remote was a little disappointing. I think it has potential though...