Am I the only one considering moving if McCain wins?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bobber205, Aug 31, 2008.

1. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

I joke not.
    If McCain wins this election one of two things needs to happen for me to stay.

1) Revolution
    2) The blue states secede from the union.

Of course I joke about those two things, but I will look to see if Canada will let me in after I graduate if McCain wins.

Am I alone? If you could move, would you?>

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

We need to stay....America is a world power, if we leave, and let the ideas of Bush/McCain ruin it, the world is a worse place because of it. If America steps up and becomes a positive role model in the world again, then great, we'll have a big country standing up for what is right. The best thing to do is to stay, and be positive forces in a McCain run america, and in 4 years try again.

But for now we can focus on ending the 8 terrible years we're currently in.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Hmm...it would depend on what happens. But no...no immediate plans, unless I can get some cute Canadian guy to put a ring on my finger. ;)

4. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

My aunt was considering moving to France last year, but the conversion rate is now so terrible she can't really afford to stay retired...

I would recommend the move to Canada to be fair, free health care, almost non-existent gun crime, proper snow :p

The only down side is all the ridiculing you'd get from the Americans here, who'd go with the line, don't go to Canada, it sucks, without backing it up...

5. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I'm moving no matter who wins, and I've been planning on doing so for quite a while now. Kucinich could have won the nomination and the presidency, and I'd still be moving.

Canada is very immigrant-friendly. It doesn't take much to be able to move there. You can take this and find out if you meet the criteria.

Quebec sets their own immigration rules, so if that's where you were looking at going, take this test. If you know french, I'd recommend going through Quebec immigration. They place much less emphasis on previous work experience (which is great for students like us who might not have much professional experience).

In about one year now, I will be sending in my application for Quebec immigration. It does take about a year and a half for the whole process though.

6. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

If he won, I'd be moving too....right to Washington D.C!!!

He's a great guy.

"Wake Up America!" Kucinich's DNC 2008 speech

7. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

I have seriously thought about it several times, but my health problems preclude it.

Plus, as much as I'm tempted during the worst times, I can't give up on this country. I love the United States, which is why I fight so hard for our leaders and citizens to do the right thing.

8. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

There's a joke there but I'm behaving myself today.

Aren't Canada on the lookout for an influx of people? I think I read that there are subsidies to make coming to work in the country easier.

9. djellison macrumors 68020

We are considering moving depending on the election - but not if McCain wins - only if Obama wins.

Across the pond - westward.

Doug

10. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

To....? China, Japan, Australia, New Zealand...

11. mr.stinki macrumors 6502

I think he means that he's considering moving TO the USA if Obama wins the Election.

12. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I'm a dual citizen of Switzerland and the US so going to Europe after college wouldn't be unreasonable....though I cling to a dream of the US being on the right track and things going well for a change....

13. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I don't know about subsidies, but if you apply under a special "Provincial Nominee" program, your application is expedited.

It is already extremely easy to move to Canada, in my opinion. If you have a college degree, no medical problems, no criminal history, there isn't much stopping you.

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I'd love to move (and to be honest, I would move to pretty much anywhere in Europe in a heartbeat even if Obama wins if given the opportunity) but it's just not in the cards yet I don't think. I've got a good job here, and would hate to give that up. Not to mention all of my friends and family are over here.

15. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Of late, I've seriously considered moving because of local politics. On the national level, at least I can look forward to the next elected president leaving office in (at worst) eight years. But here, the "good ol' boy" network tends to make use of the worse elements from both liberal and conservative agendas as the means to keep whomever the local "Boss Hogg" is in power until he dies of old age. It's absolute power, that corrupts (absolutely)...

16. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

:eek: oops didn't think of that one... :p

17. djellison macrumors 68020

Bingo.

18. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

This reminds me of a similar slew of threads about this time in '04...if Kerry lost.

I don't think anyone did. Point was still taken.

19. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

You'd need to be careful as to which place you relocate. Just make sure it's not one that's likely to be invaded.

That's a short list of about 6, if he gets in power.

20. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

If McCain wins, Obama supporters will never hear the end of it.

One of these days, the democratic party is going to learn to stop nominating people who keep leading us to the same electoral map of defeat. we didn't quite get it this time.

21. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

And if Obama wins, Hillary supporters who claimed he was unelectable will never hear the end of it.

22. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

If McCain had the integrity to not run a campaign full of personal attacks and untrue claims and outright lies, the Democrats would have a chance.

23. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

What a bunch of liberal whiners.... seriously, if you're not willing to stay and fight for your country, what are you willing to fight for?

I get sick of these quadrennial emo-fests.

(And before y'all fly off the handle, remember -- I'm a liberal too. I just get disgusted when people think they need to flee the country just because so-and-so got elected instead of their candidate.)

24. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

my dad says if McCain wins, he doesn't want to go BACK to america.

25. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I've been voting for Presidents since the mid-1980s. This is the first election that I feel like two decent people are the candidates. While I'm pretty much settled on who I'll vote for, I won't be too concerned if my guy loses.