Am I the only one happy with the Toshiba SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by kermitxc, Jul 17, 2012.

1. kermitxc macrumors newbie

I am a programmer - hence most of my IO is random reads of small, incompressible data chunks - the compile times on 2012 MBA 13.3 with the Toshiba SSD are simply amazing. Sweating performance scores and running benchmarks every morning before first coffee will give you ulcers and wear the SSD prematurely - just sayin!

Besides, I am very happy with my MBA overall ... amazing battery life and that keyboard is a new benchmark (coming from 10+ thinkpads!)

any other .NET (Bootcamp/Fusion) devs here?

2. dmelgar macrumors 68000

I've tried a 2012 Ultimate (2.0/8/256) and a 13" base (1.8/4/128). I do iOS/Mac development. My build & run times are less than half what they were with my older 2010 ultimate. The difference between the two above systems has been roughly 20%. This could be CPU, could be SSD speed. On the 256GB (Samsung), disk speed test reported 405/450, while the 128 (after slowdown) reports 240/450. I haven't clearly been able to attribute slower performance to the SSD. I don't have the 2012 ultimate any more so I can't run any new comparisons.

Overall, I think the MBAs since 2010 are amazing. Love the form factor, the speed due to the SSD, light weight, so thin. Where's the computer? Seems like its just a keyboard and display. (I know where the computer is)

My 2010 Ultimate also has a Toshiba SSD. I haven't noticed any slowdown since it was new. I don't know its thats unique of that Toshiba drive or true of all of them.

3. cedwhatev macrumors 6502

cedwhatev

I've had both Samsung and Toshiba 128GB SSD's, and I have yet to notice any difference...

4. asting macrumors 6502

Anandtech was happy. For a lot of things the speeds are faster on the toshiba versus the samsung.

Either way, they're both very fast and great drives I'm sure. I've got the ssd fever I fear, and want to upgrade my desktop now.