Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sotorious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
I find it quite ridiculous on how hard it is to set these damn things. Can we get some petition over to apple so maybe they can implement this in June, because i would like to set ringtones more easy with out cutting, and set to individual people.

Last edited:

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

You may be the only one pissed about it.

yawnyj

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2008
Gig Harbor , Wa
Try ringtone maker app, it is super easy! You will have to sync them back to iTunes , then put them in the ringtone folder to put them in the phone, but it us really easy.

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
Do you mean hard to change the ringtone on the phone or hard to add them from your computer? Because neither one is hard.

sotorious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
that is what im talking about chopping it to 30 seconds, converting it away from mp3, then having to set it threw itunes... thats where i find it difficult. Vs having the song in your playlist pressing on it and set as ringtone. I am also to referring to a song, not the sounds that come with the phone. Same goes with notification.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
How is that difficult? Seriously, it's as easy as eating pie.
I personally use audacity to edit the clip to where I want it, but you can use whatever method you want.
Of course, you can also pay Apple money for them to make the ringtone for you. That's limited to what's available and you can't use any obscure song you've got.
that is what im talking about chopping it to 30 seconds, converting it away from mp3, then having to set it threw itunes... thats where i find it difficult. Vs having the song in your playlist pressing on it and set as ringtone. I am also to referring to a song, not the sounds that come with the phone. Same goes with notification.

whiskeytown

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2010
Wirral, England
audiko.net have a lot of 30 sec cuts to download very easily, so all you need to do is add the file to the itunes library. Or create your own. Very easy.

iApples

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2011
I find it quiet ridiculous on how hard it is to set these damn things. Can we get some petition over to apple so maybe they can implement this in June, because i would like to set ringtones more easy with out cutting, and set to individual people.

You're holding it wrong.

Sent from my iPhone

sotorious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
How is that difficult? Seriously, it's as easy as eating pie.
I personally use audacity to edit the clip to where I want it, but you can use whatever method you want.
Of course, you can also pay Apple money for them to make the ringtone for you. That's limited to what's available and you can't use any obscure song you've got.

1. First get the song you want to make the ringtone from.
2. Open it with quicktime pro (or any other editor)
3. Cust out the section you want as the ringtone and save it as a new mp3.
4. Import it into iTunes
5. in iTunes go into
Preferences > Advanced > Importing

Set to Import using: AAC encoder 128Kbps

And/OR:

6. Right click on the file you want as a ringtone and select:
Convert selection to AAC

Your file will now be converted to an AAC file. (appears in iTunes under your original file) - call it a different name, so as not to confuse, ie: instead of Song.xxx, call it Song1.xxx

7. Right click on the new file, click on show in finder (or open folder on windows)
8. You will now see your AAC file, all you have to do now is change the file extension from .m4a to .m4r
9. Drag the file out of the folder to the desktop, then drop it back into itunes. (Hover over your 'Ringtones' in the left menu list of iTunes, or it will just go into your main library)!

Sync with your iPhone. Done.

Eating pie is A LOT easier than that...

I am usally down for steps like that to get something nice or special, not something i was able to do in 2 seconds with my Sony Ericsson WALKMAN series, or my previous phone. Just saying, it would be nice if it was a lot easier.

iApples

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2011
1. First get the song you want to make the ringtone from.
2. Open it with quicktime pro (or any other editor)
3. Cust out the section you want as the ringtone and save it as a new mp3.
4. Import it into iTunes
5. in iTunes go into
Preferences > Advanced > Importing

Set to Import using: AAC encoder 128Kbps

And/OR:

6. Right click on the file you want as a ringtone and select:
Convert selection to AAC

Your file will now be converted to an AAC file. (appears in iTunes under your original file) - call it a different name, so as not to confuse, ie: instead of Song.xxx, call it Song1.xxx

7. Right click on the new file, click on show in finder (or open folder on windows)
8. You will now see your AAC file, all you have to do now is change the file extension from .m4a to .m4r
9. Drag the file out of the folder to the desktop, then drop it back into itunes. (Hover over your 'Ringtones' in the left menu list of iTunes, or it will just go into your main library)!

Sync with your iPhone. Done.

Eating pie is A LOT easier than that...

I am usally down for steps like that to get something nice or special, not something i was able to do in 2 seconds with my Sony Ericsson WALKMAN series, or my previous phone. Just saying, it would be nice if it was a lot easier.

You realize there are multiple apps that can create ringtones in about 10-15 seconds?

MacToddB

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
Rochester, NY
You realize there are multiple apps that can create ringtones in about 10-15 seconds?

My app included. I think the concern is how much of a hassle Apple makes it once you *have* a ringtone, such as from an app or from a song... and that you can't do it entirely within the iPhone. You need to sync with iTunes, and even that is unreliable.

MacToddB

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
Rochester, NY
Will this app take any song that is already on the phone under ipod and make it a ringtone?

There are apps that can do that, BUT... the song has to be DRM-free. And even then, you have to transfer the ringtone back to your Mac or PC, then sync it back to your iPhone. ugh.

iApples

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2011
Will this app take any song that is already on the phone under ipod and make it a ringtone?

Yep. Then you just sync your phone with iTunes and drag that created ringtone to the ringtone section. It's so simple.

sotorious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
Yep. Then you just sync your phone with iTunes and drag that created ringtone to the ringtone section. It's so simple.

See right now i dont have a ringtones tab, how do i get it? i even see a video that hass it but for some reason i dont see it.

I figured it out, its still a pain in the ass to do all that.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
See right now i dont have a ringtones tab, how do i get it? i even see a video that hass it but for some reason i dont see it.

I figured it out, its still a pain in the ass to do all that.

facepalm...

how bout you start looking instead of asking stupid questions

iTunes preferences > General Tab --> select ringtone.

or is that too much work for you?

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
It *would* be nice if Apple included a way to trim songs from the iPod library right on the phone in the ringtone settings.

But it really is not that big of a deal. How often are you changing ringtones anyway?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.