Am I the only one suspicious of these third party companies?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by lsutigerfan1976, Apr 17, 2015.

1. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68000

Maybe it's just me. But some of these companies seem shady to me. You have all these upstarts that showed up over night practically. Promising if you pledge this, you get X. Other companies I never even heard of promising the same exact bands that Apple offers at a fraction of the price.

My question is how are these ppl even able to make any accessories for the watch without having their hands on one? Some of these ppl can't even provide a pic of the accessories they offer. They just copy and paste straight from the Apple site.

Makes me wary of these ppl out there. Almost has me saying, maybe it's better that I order and pay more through Apple. Or wait another month or two till we get confirmation of whether some of these ppl are legit, or scammers.

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I have 2 concerns regarding 3rd party bands.

1. How precise will their bands be manufactured to fit exactly into the locking mechanism of the Apple watch? Last thing anyone would want is their watch to go flying off their wrist because the cheap band was off by .5mm and didnt fit the lock properly

2. The potential for the band to damage the casing.

3. Qrispy macrumors regular

Qrispy

I'm seriously wary of all 3rd party band dealers. I was going to kickstart a few, but I'd rather wait and pay full price once I know the band looks nice and fits well in the clasp.

4. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

I think this is the smart way to go. Kickstarter has had enough success that people assume that the promise = reality. Quite frequently the reality falls far short of the promise.

As for anyone using Apple's own promotional images to sell their third party bands, especially ones using ONLY Apple's promotional images, I'd avoid them like the plague. The chances of you getting anything usable that won't fall apart on you in a month are slim to none.

5. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Yep. Hopefully Apple starts a "Made for :apple: Watch" program like they have for iPhone accessories. That way we'll have a good idea of what is quality.

6. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

One of my personal rules is to never buy a product without researching the company. Of course, that means that I rarely get a product on release day, but it also means that I don't get scammed.. and I prefer the latter :)