Am I the only one that likes the Brushed metal look?

Do you like the Brushed Metal Look?

• Yes

Votes: 49 52.7%
  • No

Votes: 44 47.3%

• Total voters

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
At the moment I think Tiger looks a bit dodgy, some metal here, some grey plastic looking stuff there, some white plastic over there, and some stripey white plastic looking stuff at the back. Apple settle on 1 look! Also if we must have the grey and white plastic look (whatever they are called) can they at least look the same? The different sized corners make it look a bit weird.

BRING ON LEOPARD!

Comment

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
I like it. My PowerBook is made of metal, so the brushed metal GUI elements match quite nicely, I think.

I see why iBook/iMac owners would disagree though...

Comment

el_grapadora

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2004
USA
I do like brushed metal. It has a certain elegance, and it's not as obnoxious as, say, those wood grain finish backgrounds. (I believe there are some skins for Mozilla along those lines. But what I would like more than brushed metal would just be unity across the OS. If you're going to make an app plastic, make them ALL plastic, fer Steve's sake*.

Yes, I do have Metallifizer, but it doesn't get to all apps. And Safari looks downright ugly when it's plastic-ized.

*I'm hoping this saying will catch on. ;)

Apple settle on 1 look!
edit: I left the comp in the middle of posting, and didn't realize someone had made my point already. C'est la vie.

Comment

musicalmcs8706

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2006
You aren't the only one

I like the brushed metal look, but I, like many others it seems, would like a more consistent look.

Comment

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
When iTunes went "plastic," I thought that I hated the new look. I really wanted my brushed metal back. So much so that I considered reverting to an old version of iTunes. But I'm lazy so I kept it, and I have to say that it has really grown on me! Now the brushed metal looks slightly silly in comparison.

el_grapadora said:
*I'm hoping this saying will catch on. ;)
Ha, I'll comply.

Comment

MacsRgr8

macrumors 604
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
I don't mind the brushed metal look.

I just hate inconsistancy....

Back in the system 7 - 8 - 9 days, it would drive me up the wall. Mac OS 8 had this new look (Platinum), but many apps like Quark and Photoshop still had those old-looking black & white menus.
Kaleidescope came to the rescue!! :cool:

Now we have pretty much alot of inconsistancy:
Brushed metal (Safari, Finder winows), Aqua blue (many apps like Office), plastic (Tiger mail) and "new" plastic (iTunes 6, iPhoto '06 etc.)

I assume Leopard will get the "new" plastic look, which I find nice :)

Comment

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
I prefer the "plastic" look that iTunes now has over brushed metal... and like others have stated, I would love it if Apple would be more consistent with the user interface.

In pre-OS X days, Apple was very adamant about have a consistent user interface across apps - but now it seems Apple is one of the worst offenders of breaking it's own guidelines. :(

Comment

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
I don't like the brushed metal look, but it doesn't bother me much... ;)

Prefer the looks of Firefox, Mail, and Cyberduck and even the new dark plastic of iTunes and the pinstripes in TextWrangler... :)

Comment

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
I know I'm way in the minority on this point, but I not only like brushed metal, I like having apps with different skins. Safari is brushed, Mail is white, etc. It helps me differentiate quickly between programs, especially since I usually have 6-10 open at once. Just one more way to make my life easier.

jW

Comment

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
Now that I look at it again, I'd prefer a grey "plastic" interface that is halfway between the dark plastic of iTunes and the light plastic of Firefox. :D

Comment

Whigga Spitta

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2004
Can you say Chi-City??
when i first switched to mac (circa june 2004), i found the brushed metal to be a welcome change from xp. now, what with all the inconsistencies, i much prefer to use Uno to unify my windows. that being said, when i use someone's machine that is not unified, i'm abhorred.

i agree with those who hope 10.5 sees a more unified look, but as long as there are hacks, i'm not going to be too concerned with it.

Comment

geese

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
London, UK
The BM looks OK on Safari as there isnt very much of it and it contrasts nicely with the web-page contents. A good figure-ground relationship between content and browser.

But i remember when the Quicktime player first had it on OS 8.5- god it looked terrible, especially with the crappy volume control. They've improved it somewhat since then, namly by making it smaller.

Yes, Apples UI inconsistancy is a little annoying. Stick one! but not BM. if you've used Mellel you'll know how bad it can look!

Next UI look- everything transparent make it really confusing and vomit inducing, but flash. MS will copy it in 3 years time for Windows Alps (or whatever ski resort they fancy). Alot of Windows users will have epeleptic fits and MS will get a bad rep and shut down!

Comment

kewpid

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2003
Brushed Metal looks OK when used sparingly like in Safari or Newsfire.
This however is just a bit much and distracting:

Comment

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
I used to like it on the odd app here and there, but I now think that it is getting a little tired.

I also find that it sometimes overwhelms what is actually in the window, particularly if there are large expanses of it, which for me is bad design. I prefer the new white/grey plastic look as it is subtle and doesn't interfere with the content.

Comment