Am I the only one that remembers? iPhone 6S being called iPhone 7 prior to reveal

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bane-Thunder, May 12, 2017.

1. Bane-Thunder macrumors 6502

It happens time and time again. MacRumours and many analysts were saying the iPhone 7 was going to be launched and when September came it was the iPhone 6S as per usual Apple cycle.

So its very possible we're looking at the same merry go-round calling it the iPhone 8 when its time for the iPhone 7S.

The only thing giving any possibility to a new phone design is the 10th Anniversary of the iPhone but Apple may not do anything special for it since its Apple anything they release generally sells.

I hope I'm wrong, cause I'd love an OLED bezel-less iPhone but I just don't see it happening until 2018. The OLED screen on the galaxy S8 is just jaw dropping and I use it every day on the way to an from work watching TV shows.

2. Critycal macrumors member

So.... Apple bought 70 million OLED panels, just to feed the rumours?

3. Relentless Power, May 12, 2017
    Last edited: May 12, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

Apple doesn't "Feed" rumors. Part leaks, Analysts, Journalists, and inside supply manufacturers do. (Ming Kuo and @SonnyDickson being the most Note worthy) Rather legitimacy follow, is for the reader to decide. That's according to the latest rumors, which the below article states it's possible 2018 is feasible for OLED. But that's not a guarantee at all we will see an OLED iPhone this year. It very well could be 2018 mentioned by the OP.

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/04/03/apple-orders-70m-iphone-panels-from-samsung/amp/

4. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Based on that article, this is what I predict based on the rumors being discussed. I'm taking bits of information from each rumor that would make sense, at least to me.

There will be an iPhone 8, but in limited supply. There will be no iPhone called the iPhone 7S or 7S Plus. The new design and renaming of the iPhone 8 will "somewhat" carry over to all 3 screen sizes, providing different internal/external components, for example oled screen and enhanced features like no home button on the 5.2" screen and less features (with an existing home button) on the smaller screens (but maintaining the same aesthetic design for all 3 iPhones), like Apple is doing now with the 7 and 7 Plus.

I believe the design of the current iPhone 7 will be done away with completely, because Apple does not want people to view the iPhone 7S and 7S Plus against an 8 as an older model.

It could very well happen, but unlikely, that the current design of the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus will be your future SE design.

5. iOSUser7 macrumors 6502a

iOSUser7

I can't remember MacRumors mentioning the "iPhone 7" name instead of "iPhone 6s".
    Everyone knew even before the leaks that the iPhone 6s with the same previous design would be the successor to the iPhone 6.
    Or maybe you are talking about the "iPhone 5" rumors after the release of the iPhone 4 which in reality was the iPhone 4s.

6. bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

What are you talking about about?

When the 6s/+ was announced in 2015 there was never any rumor that it would be called the ip7.

7. DNichter macrumors 68030

DNichter

Yea, I don't remember this either.