Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iPhone 12 Pro Am I the only one thinking the flat mirror finish edge of the pro look ugly??

Cybertox

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2020
Switzerland
I think graphite is their best looking iPhone ever.

Gold, on the other hand? Unbelievably hideous.
I think the Gold is stunning this year.

Graphite looks exactly like Space Grey from last year. The only thing that has changed is the name. Still a great color nonetheless.

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
aesthetically, 4/4s is still my fav combo of finishes, with its bushed metal rim and glass front and back. i was looking forwards to the squared off design on the 12, but somehow the overall look just doesn't seem as striking as the 4 series. its all subjective i guess.

Reactions: fridayxiii

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
I truly couldn’t decide without seeing them in person because I had a bad feeling about the flat chrome that in renders and pictures looked like cheap chromed plastic. So today I trekked out to an Apple Store and got to hold them all and even knowing it’s stainless steel, my suspicion was confirmed. The flat chrome bands don’t work.

The metallic bands just don’t aesthetically feel right both chrome and flat. Unlike the iPhone X’s beautifully curved edges where the chrome felt jewel-like as in the Apple Watch, the flat edges look unfinished. A thinner chrome band could’ve worked better with the glass front and back protruding slightly like the iPhone 4/5 and with chamfered edges.

In past iPhone reveals, if something didn’t seem right in pictures, the real thing in real life just worked. But this time, for the first time ever, I regret to say that I don’t like the look of the new iPhones. We’re officially out of the Jony Ive era.

I just think the choice of finish on the stainless steel was all wrong. It’s not even the same finish as the iPhone 11 Pro. I have them both, and like the 11 pro much better. I don’t know what Apple was going for with these edges, but they failed miserably. I just just keep mine in the case and not worry about it. I think the regular 12 looks much better.

Reactions: HobbesInVA

Cybertox

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2020
Switzerland
I just think the choice of finish on the stainless steel was all wrong. It’s not even the same finish as the iPhone 11 Pro. I have them both, and like the 11 pro much better. I don’t know what Apple was going for with these edges, but they failed miserably. I just just keep mine in the case and not worry about it. I think the regular 12 looks much better.
They did not fail miserably because as you can see many people love the new design. The fact that a couple of people complain about the design on an internet forum does not mean that the brand failed miserably at designing its product.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
They did not fail miserably because as you can see many people love the new design. The fact that a couple of people complain about the design on an internet forum does not mean that the brand failed miserably at designing its product.

In my eyes they did. I am not speaking for the masses. To me and me others, it looks cheap and trashy on the edges. To each their own, but to me this is the worst color choice Apple has made in an iPhone.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

Phone Junky

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
I much prefer the rounded stainless on the older models. Something about that flat mirrored look just doesn't appeal to me. I think the new models look better with the anodized aluminum.

shadyman

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2015
I absolutely love the new old design. It’s classy in every aspect, like their predecessors 4, 4S, 5, 5S, and SE!

Never mind

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2018
Dunedin, Florida
Tell you what, those that like the pro with stainless steel finish, buy it, and those who do not, buy the other. Real simple. I am not so overly concerned that I have to post something like this. It’s a personal preference.

satchmo

macrumors 68040
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Somethings changed in the finish of the pro. I have had the iPhone X, iPhone 11 Pro, and now the 12 pro, and neither the X or 11 pro looked so cheap with the mirror finish. The 11 pro looks much more flat in color compared to the 12 pro. It definitely looks cheap to me. Like to mirrored cheap car tint.

It’s subjective, but I tend to agree. A brushed stainless steel would have been more premium feel.

The 11 Pro actually feels like solid steel, while the 12 Pro looks like covered plated chrome (the stuff used in cheap electronics aimed to make it look expensive)

Reactions: jimmy_uk and bmac4

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
It’s subjective, but I tend to agree. A brushed stainless steel would have been more premium feel.

The 11 Pro actually feels like solid steel, while the 12 Pro looks like covered plated chrome (the stuff used in cheap electronics aimed to make it look expensive)

Yes! It looks like that cheap chrome wrap on old electronics and that cheap chrome wrap people put on vehicles. It’s very cheap and trashy looking to me. I guess I am glad I have case that’s not clear oh mine.

Reactions: Zazoh

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I don't like it. I do think the graphite is probably the best of the bunch, though I haven't seen it in person yet.

khunsanook

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2006
East Asia
I'm in no hurry to upgrade my 11 Pro, but after looking at the new 12 Pro, I think the flat mirrored sides look rather garish. They work on a curved edge (watch, previous phones), but that flat edge would look a lot nicer if it was a brushed stainless steel paired with the beautiful matte glass back.

Mikeske

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2012
Washington
I never gave the edge treatments a thought as soon as I get a new phone I am slapping a Otterbox Defender case on it anyway. I could give a rip what it looks like as it is inside the case.

Nozuka

macrumors 68030
Jul 3, 2012
I wouldn't call it ugly, but i definitely prefer the aluminium edges. Definitely a bit too shiny for me too.

Or something like the Apple Watch uses. DLC coating would be more durable too. (Although then it would probably scratch other devices ;) )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.