Am I The Only One Tired Of Seeing Angry Birds #1?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mr. Incredible, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Mr. Incredible macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_9 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E501 Safari/6533.18.5)

Probably since the moment of release, Angry Birds has been either #1 or in the Top 10 Apps in the App Store.

Don't get me wrong, it's a fun game, but I haven't played it in months, and it gets pretty boring too.

It's like, the same games in the Top Apps section, and you rarely see something new.

Is it just me or do you guys agree?

2. ap3604 macrumors 68000

If your tired of the same ole' same ole' you could always go to touch arcade to see new titles by smaller developers.

I actually hope developers of Angry Birds fizzle out and go the way of the dodo...

3. Snoudel macrumors newbie

Yea, to be honest, its the fact that its the same thing every day...

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Like any popular game, it gets played out. Don't really care if it's still up there.

5. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

6. Snaaake! macrumors member

I don't know how they sell that many DAILY to keep at the top of the charts. I mean jeeze, you gotta be pushing a ton of friggin angry birds purchases...

7. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I don't get this either, It seems as though they get A LOT Of new customers buying this app somehow. One would think that everyone pretty much has this game on their iPhone already ;)

8. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

I was wondering that today, as I bought a stuffed Angry Bird animal toy thing. It's just sitting at my desk right now, reminding me that one day, when I have kids, they'll ask what the heck the bird is, and I'll say "Johnny, I'll tell you when you're older"

9. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Yes never really play the game just test it out. I rather play cut the rope!

10. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

How in the hell are there still people left to buy it?

11. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

The worst part is that it's not just one Angry Birds game. Rather, it's like 10 different themed versions of the same freaking bird game. I don't understand why/how it became so popular when there are other games that are at least similar, if not better. (i.e. Fragger, Feed Me Oil, did World of Goo ever get popular?)

Edit: Oh, maybe those are for iPad only?

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

well...I have yet to buy it lol

13. mijail, Sep 12, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2011

mijail macrumors 6502

What I don't get is why is it so famous to begin with. When I bought my iPhone and saw first hand what Angry Bird was, I was fscking underwhelmed. A very simple variant of one of the most primitive games! I could only feel I was playing the "Gorillas" example included with Qbasic (in source code!) for MS-DOS in the early nineties.

Made me long for Worms (which at least was somewhat more varied) for about 5 minutes, then I remembered that even that got boring at some point.

And not only that; how many variants of the same mechanic are there now in the AppStore?

Makes me wonder where are all the variants for Pong / Breakout / Arkanoid. (I don't really want to know, it'd be depressing...)

And also makes me quite conscious of the rare flashes of brilliance that were the beginning of other kinds of games. Like the original Tetris which spawned another crapload of variants. Maybe like Portal more recently - and maybe we're lucky that not every Joe Sixpack can whip up together his own variant of that.

Heck, next time I see an original game, I'm buying it, no matter if I really like it.

14. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

Angry Birds is a funny little game but certainly not as great as people might think. It has made a great name and it will continue selling till something else comes.

15. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I like Angry Birds, but I prefer Cut The Rope. Honestly I'm not bothered by it being the top selling app, I just browse the top 100 or so every few weeks so it doesn't affect me.

16. andyx3x macrumors 65816

I could never understand the appeal of Angry Birds. I can't get through 3 or 4 levels before becoming bored with it.

My two favorite games of all time are Flight Control and Tiny Wings. They are much more entertaining to me.

17. TheSuperSteve macrumors 6502

Me too. I find these Angry Birds games a bit too frustrating. Seems to be mostly based on luck rather than thinking skill.

18. ann713 macrumors 6502a

I love Flight Control as well! Angry Birds is a decent game, don't get me wrong, but I'm tired of seeing all the editions of it. Rio, Seasons, Halloween, I could go on.

19. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I haven't bought it either.
    I never caught on to the Angrybrids game, and probably won't either.
    It's a bit annoying to see it #1 all the time, but I guess its not a big deal.

20. ah123 macrumors regular

It's #1 because it's popular. Just because some people don't like it doesn't mean it shouldn't be there. If a lot of people didn't like it, then it sure wouldn't be at the top!

21. twitt3r macrumors 6502

Like they would really give a damn either, given how much money they have already made... :rolleyes:

22. NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

23. Mochi Hana macrumors 6502a

Mochi Hana

Me neither. =\ It's the most overrated game I've seen in a while.

24. twitt3r macrumors 6502

25. Reddmanz macrumors regular

Bought it and never really got into it. Tried to on many long train journeys and as soon as I became stuck i just stopped caring. I did find it more fun on the big iMac screen though.