Am I the only one who loves the square design and doesn't want curved edges?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wadawow, Sep 17, 2011.

1. wadawow macrumors member

I am reading so much about how horrible the design is and don't really understand. I dread them going back to curved design (much less teardrop...yikes). I don't mind the glass back either...wouldn't mind a brushed black aluminum back (may get one on eBay) but really, it's perfect IMO.

2. andyx3x macrumors 65816

I'll have to see it and hold it first before I comment. Count me as one who absolutely loves the design of the iPhone 4.

3. AML225 macrumors regular

I love the iPhone 4 design. By far the best looking cell phone. Hopefully they'll keep it or 1-up themselves.

4. BanterClaus macrumors regular

BanterClaus

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I also love the iPhone 4 design. Although I think curved edge is slightly more comfortable to hold.

5. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

I like the way the 3G(s) feels in my hand a lot more then the way the four feels. Style comes second when compared with usability.

6. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I think the iPhone4 is a beautiful device. Perfect weight, comfortable to hold, wonderful to look at. I see no need for change - but then, I don't get bored quickly. :cool: ;)

7. Reach9, Sep 17, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2011

Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

I don't think you're the only one who thinks like this.

But i actually think that the iPhone 4 design was a step backwards. The iPhone 4 is definitely the most beautiful iPhone yet, but it is also the least ergonomic. The iPhone 4 is awkward on the hand, compared to the easy to hold iPhone original, iPhone 3G and 3GS.
    Not to mention all the negativity that design has.. antennagate, proximity issues, shattering glass, ergonomic design, fact that consumer report couldn't recommend it, etc. Also, WSJ (correct me if i'm wrong) said that the iPhone 4 design "fell out of favor" by the Apple execs, and i think there's a good reason for that.

I disliked the iPhone 4 design ever since Gizmodo leaked it, and i still do. Which is why i skipped it. Like seriously, why make a smartphone with regular glass? The iPhone 4 is a design flaw, and I cannot believe how Jonny Ive agreed to it.
    If the rumors are true, then the iPhone 4 will look like a brick compared to the iPhone 5, and then we can expect people posting threads like "i didn't know how bad the iPhone 4 looked until i saw the 5".

This is why it's different for other people

8. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

I like the iPhone 4 design. But I also wouldn't mind if Apple implements the iPad 2 design into iPhone 5. I love the Aluminum touch to it.

9. spikefood macrumors regular

My hand is not square. The iphone 4 is pretty, but is less comfortable to hold than the 3g or 3gs. Go back to the curved back design with an aluminum back like the original iphone and I'll be so happy.

10. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

I don't think the curve will be as pronounced as the IPhone 3GS. I agree I do like the flat back more than the curved but I have confidence that the IPhone 5 will look awesome. Short of a catastrophe I don't see how Apple would take a step back in design of the IPhone.

11. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

Apple has seemed to always impress their fans and others with their aesthetics. :apple: The iPhone 5 will look amazing

12. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Curved edges >>> Sharp edges

Simply better feeling in the hand...

13. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

they could, at the very least, add chamfers/radii to the edges lol

maybe their engineers/designers/CAD software doesn't know the meaning of those terms haha

14. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

The iPhone 4 looks nice, but personally I preferred the feel of my old iPhone 3G. Easier to tell front from back by touch, also.

I'm looking forward to the 5, hoping for a bigger screen. I'm not eligible for upgrade until Nov 6 so I guess I get to hear what everyone else thinks about it before I decide to buy :)

15. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Definitely agree with you on this one. Loved the feel of the 3G/3GS in my hand.

16. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Yes yes yes. Definitely form over function. The iPhone 4 is the first one I wished I hadn't bought. If it wasn't for the better camera and HD video recording it would have gone back.