Am I the only one who misses the smaller size of their old iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DeltaHF, Oct 30, 2014.

1. DeltaHF macrumors member

I've owned every iPhone model since they were launched in 2007, and I do love my 6, which I have had for just under two weeks now.

However... when I pick up and hold my 5S again, it just feels "right" and is more comfortable to use and hold. I don't have small hands, but I do use my phone with one-hand more frequently than I realized. The 6 never feels quite secure in my grip, and the slightly larger keys on the keyboard have slowed down my typing, because there's more distance for my thumbs to travel.

I'll continue using my 6, but if I'm completely honest with myself, I would much rather go back to the 5S. It makes me a bit sad, because I doubt Apple will ever go back to producing devices at the smaller sizes, and I feel like I might be the only one who feels this way.

Am I crazy and alone, or is there someone out there who agrees?

2. Damolee macrumors 6502

Stick the 6 in a grippy case and within a few days, you won't miss it.

Your not the first to say it though. Why I feel the 5S is the new 5C.

3. fiveainone macrumors 6502a

I love the 6+. But I have to be honest, the 5s is definitely easier to grab. I put them next to each other, and when I need the flash light, I find myself reaching for the 5s. But that's about it. When I need the web, I grab the 6+ :D

4. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

I had a 5S and went back to my 4S until next year (sold 5S for 450 last month). I actually love the size. Screen may feel a little cramped compared to what I was used to, but I love the form factor of the 4/4S. In my opinion it's one of the best build and designs of the iPhone, in history.

5. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

It's exactly the opposite for me (and even my wife) when picking up a 5 or 4s. It just feels like a play phone. To each his own, but we've gotten so used to the 6. Now I'm thinking that next year I'll upgrade to the 6+.

6. sillywabbit macrumors 6502a

Yes, you are the only one.

After having the Plus, now I know why Android people make fun of Apple phone's size.

My old iphone 5 looks like a bar of soap or little brother's toy.

7. BigMar89 macrumors 6502

I love my 6 Plus and I have rather large hands so I can handle it at time with one hand but when i pay around with the 6 at the Apple Store it just feels perfect in the hand. Perfect grip and I can juggle it with ease. Like i said i enjoy my 6 Plus but after a few weeks the battery life, the one thing that lured me to get the Plus, is just not on par as advertised. It has the same exact specs as the 6 and i have noticed the performance has took a hit since the huge screen demands beefier specs (RAM, GPU, ETC.) call me OCD but i notice the little things in the 6 such as animations and transitions and its just much more buttery smooth on the 6

8. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

So why don't you get the 6?

9. CaptMarvel macrumors 65816

CaptMarvel

My 6 Plus sometimes makes me want a bigger screen.

10. BigMar89 macrumors 6502

need to sell my 6 Plus first then I am planning to.

11. Menel Suspended

Menel

Same. I would have gotten a 5S, except for the game changing security that ApplePay appears to be.

The 5S has both TouchID and enough antenna to support NFC... If they do a fully featured small phone next year... I might do a first time 1 year upgrade to it.

12. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

I couldn't go down to the 5 or 5s again. The 3.5" screen looks even more ridiculous.

13. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

The 6 plus is hard to come by so you should be able to sell it fast. Good luck.

14. Atroz macrumors member

Nope, still using the iPhone 5. 2 weeks in to a month wait for a 6 plus.

15. Wahlstrm macrumors 6502a

Wahlstrm

I think, hope and wish that they might consider a 4" model as "the cheaper version" next year and release another 6C or something when its time for "s" next fall..

I would buy it, I Love the 5c.
    A 5c body with 6´s spec inside would be great :D

16. Timmeh8604 macrumors member

I held my dads 4s the other day and wondered how I ever lived with a 3.5" screen! Granted I went from the 5 to 6 plus but even a 5 feels incredibly tiny and it's hard to believe I could function with small screens.

17. bushman4 macrumors 68000

It takes about two weeks to get acklamated to the new size and shape. Get a case that fits comfortably in your hand. After a while you'll swear that you love it

18. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

I like my 5S just fine. I have smaller hands, so it's a lot easier to use compared to my old Nexus 5. I hardly consume video and never play games, so I don't feel like I absolutely need the extra .6"

19. ant69 macrumors regular

ant69

i miss the smaller size in my pocket, but love the bigger screen size in my hands :)

Ant

20. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I've had every iPhone as well and to me the 4S felt right. That said I'd prefer my 6 plus as it takes the place of an iPad for me

21. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

3.5"?

And I completely agree with the OP. I actually went and left feedback on Apple's site asking for them to keep the 4" screen size and update it yearly along the newer phones.

22. hallidc macrumors 6502

hallidc

I own a 6 and going back to the 5s every now and then brings back that thought also. I do miss the size of the phone overall, however the screen size on the 6 is great.

23. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

The only thing I miss about my old phone is no one wanted to touch it.

24. McPc macrumors 6502

McPc

That's the way I feel.

At this point though I just couldn't go back to the smaller screen and every time I look at my 6plus screen I am still thankful for the larger screen real estate. Yes, there are times when I fidget with the phone in my pockets but the trade off is worth it to me.