am I the only one who thinks the iPhone email is HORRIBLE

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dairyman, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Dairyman macrumors member

I am coming from a blackberry and I really love the ip4 but the email client is killing!!!! me

all my accounts are gmail

first i have to click the email icon to see if i have any messages then it says checking messages downloads them and displays them how is that push???? (and yes i have push enabled)

and the most ANNOYING! thing ever is that i cannot hit mark all read or select multiple emails at once so i have to go through 15-20 emails that i might not need to read fully SOO ANNOYING

other than that i really love the phone

i searched all over the web and coudlnt find any app or other client that could support my needs other people have to be experienceing this

on my blackberry i would get a work email and repsond to it within 30 seconds and customers really love that:mad::mad::mad::mad:

2. FiremanMike macrumors regular

Change your gmail account to an exchange account

Problem solved.

3. iFitz macrumors regular

Push works great for me, but I have a .mac (or mobileme) account, and my work email on enterprise. My other phone is a company supplied phone, which is a blackberry, and I can't STAND email on the blackberry. Once you get the push worked out, you'll love it. It's far superior to the blackberry email.

4. TimShady macrumors member

Setting up your Gmail account as MS Exchange will solve the Push problem. Also, there is an "Edit" button at the top right you can press and then select multiple emails to delete or move. Hopefully that helps a bit.

5. FarCountry macrumors newbie

Yep, I feel the same way about it. I use a BB for work and the gmail app is really good on that. It stinks in the ways you describe on the ip4. I switched to using the mail app with my gmail account and its not much different. I hate mail on the thing. i like most everything else though.

6. Dairyman thread starter macrumors member

i do have my account setup as an exhange....

question for people with push properly setup on their phone using gmail

for example you unlock your phone to check the time will your mail indicator show message unread with the number even if you do not click on it?

or do you have to click on it and it then says d/ling messages???

thanks for the help i really love this phone and am not being negative just trying to get it setup perfectly

7. kre62 macrumors 68000

If push is properly enabled, emails will be delivered to the iphone even when locked. They will cause the phone to buzz and play the new mail sound. Make sure push is enabled, then go to the bottom and make sure the accounts are all push enabled.

8. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

im not really all that familiar with all the different email setups. does anyone know if there is a way to make a pop email act like an imap? cause I have 2 imap emails and 2 pop emails. it drives me nuts when I go to look into the sent emails on one of the pop accounts and its not synced like the imap ones. I dont think godaddy (email service for my domains) has the option to upgrade from pop to imap.

9. Dairyman thread starter macrumors member

thank you! :apple:

10. joehandel macrumors newbie

I'm using an iPod touch 4G. I use the native email app with my gmail account, and in my settings I set it to update every 15 minutes. I'll hear a note play signaling a newly received message, unlock my iPod (mines jailbroken so with lockinfo it'll tell me right on the lockscreen who the email is from) and I'll see a red badge on the app. When I open the app I can see that it was ACTUALLY received within the last 15 minutes. Works fine for me.

11. Dairyman, Feb 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2011

Dairyman thread starter macrumors member

ok so i have spent all night messing with this because email is very important to me

here is the verdict the iphone has push email with gmail when using the exchange option

BUT..... it is slow compared to my verizon blackberry

the blackberry was literally instant where this iphone takes 45 seconds to a minute to come through

this can be annoying when im on the phone wiht the customer waiting for an email to come through but it is something i am going to have to live with

EDIT:

FINAL RESULT OF THE NIGHT

it must have taken some time for the phone to update with google sync but now push is literally instant (like hit send and its in my mail box fast) my IP4 i am very happy just as fast as the BB

now if i can just hit read all i would be even happier!!! :D

12. Dandrews524 macrumors 6502

not to hijack the thread but does anyone know how i can get my college email address to push to my iphone or is it dependent on the school and their email severs and all that?

13. pittguy578 macrumors member

I had trouble with the texting on the Iphone, but this e-mail situation is also very troubling. Coming from a Droid with the Gmail application, the Iphone e-mail app feels like something from 5 years ago. Apple needs to do something ASAP or come up with some kind of agreement with Google to allow a Gmail application. Too bad Apple won't allow any third parties to make a quality e-mail application.

14. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I think it's the same as someone going from Windows to OS X. They usually hate it because they're used to a different way of doing things. Personally, I love the simplicity of Mail and am not a fan of Gmail's UI.

15. mightygitis macrumors 6502

mightygitis

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

I don't know if it was said, but in settings mine was by default set to manual. Once I told it to check automatically every fifteen minutes it started telling me about email.

16. ajdb9 macrumors member

Dependent on the school and their email servers and all that.
    Get in touch with them and ask.
    My University uses Gmail as a base, so it works just the same!
    Xander

17. Dandrews524 macrumors 6502

thank you

18. PaulyD macrumors 6502

If you jailbreak your phone you can get a mark all as read mod for the email app, awesome

19. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

You can vet the google app for the iPhone. It has gmail in there along with everything google. You can set that up to show the unread badge like the mIl app. I use this app for my mail when I need to search or mark many messages read like you were asking. Plus the app has access to all your google stuff from one location. Hope that helps a little.

20. aldo82 macrumors regular

There are a few threads on here at the moment asking how to improve the email experience. Now you have gmail set up as push, one of the push email apps would be useful, for example I use 'pushmail' in the app store. This sends you a little pop up (like a sms alert) which gives a brief overview of the email so you know if you want to read it. It also has a big choice of alert sounds and you can set quiet zones. Very customisable. I then turn off the built in email alert sound and have pushmail indicate me of new emails. because I have push enabled if I decide the email is worth reading at the time, it is already in the inbox

21. chestvrg macrumors 65816

My 2 cents.

On the contrary I think iPhone email does a good job such as replying, forwarding, moving or deleting, the ability to view folders and move emails to folders, which blackberry/RIM who claims to be the pedestal of email can not even do one of those simplest things of viewing folders on IMAP or exchange emails.

The iPhone email client with it's big screen, full HTML support houngan enjoy viewing your emails the way they were meant to be viewed, been able to move my emails to any folder is priceless. Why is it that on a blackberry you can't access your personal folders ah?

Come on let's be realistic here, as most of us don't get Bill Gate rate emails. I myself get about 5 personal and 17 work emails a day and the iPhone 4/iOS email client does a superb job for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. pbkiller macrumors regular

The only thing I would like is the ability to use labels & stars, besides that I think the mail client is pretty good!

23. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I like the iPhone's email. I use gmail on it with no problems.

24. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

If you use the google app, when you select gmail it opens it in safari be sues it's web based. I just leave the window open in safari and if I need to star a email or do something the native mail app doesn't allow,such as mark all read,star, or search I just double click home, select safari and open that window that my mail is in and do what I need to do. Very simple. Takes 2seconds. IMO there's no reason to buy a app when goolge gives you everything you need for free. Granted you need need to be cone Ted but when are we not these days.

25. gibbynd macrumors member

Have you ever tried to use Corporate Sync on a droid? Try that first and then see if the iPhone email stinks. Corporate Sync was atrocious.