Am I the only one who thinks the new MBPs are just a stop-gap?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by comedine, Jun 10, 2009.

1. comedine macrumors member

They feel like they've been hastily released to keep the consumers happy - and that's what's stopping me from buying one. I just feel that, come September/October, with the release of SL, they'll announce a brand new range of MBPs with OLED, hybrid HDD/SSD, matte screen and Bluray options etc.

In fact, a bit like the 3GS - just a stop-gap before they announce the true 'next gen' iPhone.

I'm going to go looking at the MBPs tomorrow but really wonder if I'll actually part with my cash...

2. DaveyandGoliath macrumors newbie

thats what i was wondering. but then again, you never know, and i guess if i DOES happen. I'll just sell the still relatively NEW mpb and pay the loss.

3. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i'm planning to buy the 13"MBP.

however i usually wait for 2 month after a product is released to let the guinea pig find the bug and give apple time to fix them.

in that case i would buy in august september so i'll probably wait a couple weeks longer before i pull the trigger.

but even then the 13"MBP is a great machine and i wouldn't care much if they release an update shortly after i bought it.

4. Philflow macrumors 65816

I don't think this is a stop-gap release.

I do think Apple will now release new models more often. They have to to stay competitive.

5. iMacmatician macrumors 601

I don't think they're a stop gap or hastily released. I think the next update will be in early 2010.

6. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

It does seem like Apple is kind of experimenting with various features to see how we are going to respond.

"Hey, let's take matte screens away and see what happens."

"Wow, okay now lets take FW away and see what they do."

"Oh double wow!, they didn't like that! Let's put FW back, but now we'll pull the express card just for fun and add something simple like an SD reader."

I'm not complaining by any means because I'm a long way from upgrading, but it just seems like all of these changes are random. :confused:

7. comedine thread starter macrumors member

Interesting - I buy as soon as I can. If I was to wait a couple of months I'd immediately think "I'll wait a bit longer for the NEXT update"!

So now I'm wondering which 15" MBP to get. I can't believe there's a massive difference between the 2.56 and the 2.8GHz.

Also, nice to see that the UK has been left out of the price reduction - if anything it seems more expensive!

8. pik. macrumors 6502

pik.

Ι think is the best period to upgrade an old laptop...

prices of the express/card unibodies are down and the new 13 have a fantastic display at last.
    the 17inch have become e very attractive choise also...:D

nevertheless we miss the big heat...

I think all that really matters such expresscard 2,usb 3,cheap ddr3,cheap ssd,3G/GPS,eSata,better display matte and analysis over 1440x900 will come in Feb '10

so if you really need to upgrade buy now
    but the next rev will be huge...

9. nick9191 macrumors 68040

OLED - Not if you want it to cost under $6000
    Hybrid HDD/SSD - No
    Matte Screen - No
    Blu Ray - If it didn't come with Snow Leopard then I can't see it ever coming, unless third party.

10. comedine thread starter macrumors member

That's what everyone says each and every time.

Like the iPhone 3GS....!

11. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

Sooooo you're telling me that Apple is going to update the MBPs again sometime in the future with better technology?!?! WTF, I just ordered an hour ago and assumed it would be top dog forever! :rolleyes:
    lol

12. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

apple will update in sept. lots of new stuff there rolling out.

skipping this refresh...

cant wait.

13. comedine thread starter macrumors member

Flippancy doesn't help a discussion.

14. harcosparky macrumors 68020

If we all hop aboard the " Refresh Express Train " where everyone waits for the next refresh .... we never have to buy anything because when something new comes out we will know that something newer will come out later! ;)

15. frimple macrumors 6502

Served... with proper vocabulary! SNAP!

16. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Honestly, neither does a troll-bait thread....

17. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

Hahahahaha :rolleyes:
    A 15'' OLED screen this year?!?! Are you Crazy? Maybe as a $5000 upgrade lol.
    This sounds like your 'Fantasy' or 'Dream' machine. It's not gonna happen.
    I wish the iPhone had a 4'' screen with twice the resolution and all this other stuff too, but it's not going to happen anytime soon.

The iPhone 3G was the same as the original iPhone but with a faster internet chip and a GPS chip.

The iPhone 3G S has a faster processor, more ram, an improved graphics chip, a vastly improved camera with video and autofocus, a digital magnometer compass, and voice control of dialing and iPod

These are the only two iPhone updates we have to go off of. This WWDC had big announcements.

But OF COURSE after every announcement there's a whole slew of people whining about the 'moderate' updates and speculating about the next ones.

These are big updates, deal with it.

18. Philflow macrumors 65816

Actually that part was not so crazy. MSI Wind U115 is already using it, resulting in 13.5 hours battery life on a 5200 mAh battery while web browsing.

I guess you already figured that because you edited it :D

19. Jelite macrumors 6502a

I get the feeling there's Apple fans that have never actually bought anything from Apple because they're always waiting for the next update.

20. pik. macrumors 6502

pik.

:D

well my friend for me matte and SLi grafics are huge....:cool:

21. friareunuch macrumors member

furreal

22. Biolizard macrumors 6502

Well we've had 8 month updates for the past 2 years, and it's been 8 months since the Spotlight on Notebooks event, so I see this as the real deal.

23. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i hope to get a refurb version for 20% less. this time i get a subsidy from my employer so i probably buy new.

but i essentially don't care if they release a new version 2 month after i bought my notebook. i keep them for several years so it doesn't matter.

you just have to make sure that the computer does what you want at the time you buy it.

if you buy and the computer is missing a feature (e.g. firewire) and 4 weeks later they bring that feature you are going to be pissed.

if the computer has all features you need all that can happen is a speed bump and some features you don't really need and therefore you won't miss.

the 13'MBP right now is a notebook with all features i need and it's future proof for the next 18 month or more. so it's a good time to buy for me.

24. UrFatMom macrumors regular

Exactly my thinking... Gonna buy a 13" macbook pro soon. 7 hours battery life and new screen is all I was waiting for.