Am I the only one who wish the iP5 is just a bigger faster iP4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BiscottiGelato, Sep 27, 2012.

1. BiscottiGelato macrumors regular

The internal of this is great. Thinner is also great. Bigger screen is harder to use, but extra real estate is welcomed.

But am I the only one that likes the iP4 design much better? 2 virtually in-scratchable pieces of glass and stajnless steal band instead of this anodized aluminum weak crap.... This is the only iPhone so far that I have to use a case with....

Anybody feel the exterior of the iP5 is a step backwards?

2. bigred7078 macrumors 6502a

bigred7078

Weak crap? Really... Just because it can get scratches means it is weak crap? Have you not seen the drop test videos!? The iPhone 5 can take a lot of abuse, especially compared to the 4/4S.

I personally really dig the new design, but that's just me.

3. nfl46 macrumors 603

This.

4. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

No.

5. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

I have said it before, if the 5 would have been a little thicker and had a 2500+ mega amp battery (multi day life) and a 10 megapixel cam (less faults from super thin parts) it would have been a home run.

6. saberahul macrumors 68040

It scratches? Try wiping the back after scratching it… it all wipes away.

7. Kaze105 macrumors member

ifixit showed a video that the back of the iphone 5 scratches a lot more easily compared to the iphone 4s. Made me worried a bit, but hopefully it wont be problem since I plan to use a case or skin.

8. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

I loved the 4 but after a few days of owning the 5 I could never go back.

9. SnowLeopard2008, Sep 27, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012

SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

So don't put your phone with your keys or get a case. Is it that hard? Btw, anodized aluminum is NOT weak. It doesn't scratch unless you start keying it. With normal use, it won't scratch. Period.

10. PM-Performance macrumors 6502

My glass on my 4s scratched like crazy. Not sure what you mean by unscratchable. Wiping and then laying gently on my desk yeilded scratches the first day
    Who knows how this will hold up but the drop tests pretty much prove it is sturdier than the last gen.

11. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

They could've definitely kept the same thickness as the 4S and put in a much larger battery indeed

12. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Wirelessly posted

10 MP?

3648 x 2736
    3264 x 2488

A home run? What exactly do I gain here? What can I do with a bit of extra resolution? What difference does it really make? My old 4 MP dedicated camera takes better pictures than any phone camera.

The megapixel myth is in full play here.

13. bigred7078 macrumors 6502a

bigred7078

Well mine hasn't scratched but according to several threads it can when a set of keys, a chainsaw, and stick of dynamite lay waste to it.

14. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

I am just saying, with the extra space they could have done that, and had the highest current mega pixel smartphone on the market (I think).

15. FieldingMellish Suspended

I handled an iphone 5 at the store and reconsidered due to how my iphone 4 felt so much more solid and durable in comparison.

16. KPOM macrumors G5

I felt that way at first, but I'm really liking the aluminum finish now. It feels a bit like my MacBook Air. I think of the iPhone 5 as the "iPhone Air" now. The heft of the 4S gave it a premium feel, but I think the beveled edge of the white iPhone 5 has a nice premium look to it.

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Which does what? The iPhone has historically always had a lesser megapixel count, but focused on the crap that actually matters in a camera.

18. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

qft

19. Shaddow825 macrumors 6502

Honestly once youve had it for a few days and get used to it, the hollow feeling I had when first picking it up has gone away. Feels solid to me now.

20. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

The galaxy S3 is made out of coke bottles. Aluminum is 100x better.

21. climber20 macrumors member

For a camera with such a small sensor, few total pixels with each individual pixel being larger would be much more useful. My 3 megapixel Canon Elph from 2004 has better technical image quality than any phone camera today with the exception of the Nokia 808.

This is a good article explaining: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/08/technology/08pogue.html?pagewanted=all

22. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

Ok let me re fraise; with the extra space they could have significantly increased the quality of the camera.

Yes it does seem to be slightly better, but without the size constraints they could have reached even farther thusly being able to truthfully claim a substantially better camera.

----------

And just like coke bottles is able to take a significant amount of scrapes without showing the ware.

----------

I hear what your saying, but it is the direction the industry is heading. I'm sure the 6 will have one or lets just say, they will get there.

23. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

Un-scratchable? Iphone 4? Really?

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Even so much as looking at that crappy glass panel causes hundreds of hairline scratches and chips.

My iPhones are still undamaged (by me that is, damage remains from angry chinese workers), and have been abused heavily of the last few days.

My iPhone 4 and 4S had to be wrapped in cotton wool every day to avoid any marks. The fact that glass causes almost no friction didnt help either, meaning it always had to be on a flat surface.

----------

Wrong. My S3 looked like it had been ran over after one drop from around 2ft high. It is cheap plastic. Then theres the fact that any hard corner impact will shatter the screen due to poor design choices.

24. Luddy macrumors member

It mainly took me some getting used to the lighter feeling. It feels more delicate than the 4/4s since it is so much lighter. Oh well used to it now.

25. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

That isn't how apple sources components like cameras. They choose a module almost a year in advance to focus on optimizing the **** out of the software for it. I guarantee you it was the best package available when the component was selected.

It takes alot to not just go with the vendor provided software and hardware package.