Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

troyhouse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2010
i have 3gs on 3.1.2 jb/ul and using it on tmo... i have still not upgraded to ios4.0 and not see any big benefit of doing it...

am i the only one on this configuration or should i upgrade to ios4.0 and jb/ul, what do you guys think, is the new jb/ul stable enough,

i do not have 3.1.2 shsh saved, so i really want to be sure before upgrading to os4.0 and then jb/ul...

moussekateer

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
i have 3gs on 3.1.2 jb/ul and using it on tmo... i have still not upgraded to ios4.0 and not see any big benefit of doing it...

am i the only one on this configuration or should i upgrade to ios4.0 and jb/ul, what do you guys think, is the new jb/ul stable enough,

i do not have 3.1.2 shsh saved, so i really want to be sure before upgrading to os4.0 and then jb/ul...

I like 4.0 over 3.1.3 not just for folders, but for threaded emails. Couldn't live without it now. The new jailbreak works fine. Whether or not your favourite jailbreak programs have been updated for 4.0 is another matter.

troyhouse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2010
to think of it, i should upgrade jb and ul before apple blocks it...

by the way, i dont have att sim

so what would be the best process, is following correct?

1. backup phone
2. upgrade from itunes
3. goto jailbreakme.com, jb and ul it

main thing is, hopefully my wifi works and i dont have to activate it, as i dont have att sim...

am i missing anything, and any pointers?

outz

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
Don't forget ultrasnow for the unlocking.

Someone else might be able to chime in regarding the activation... I've always had an AT&T sim.

moussekateer

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
to think of it, i should upgrade jb and ul before apple blocks it...

by the way, i dont have att sim

so what would be the best process, is following correct?

1. backup phone
2. upgrade from itunes
3. goto jailbreakme.com, jb and ul it

main thing is, hopefully my wifi works and i dont have to activate it, as i dont have att sim...

am i missing anything, and any pointers?

Now hold up a minute there. The new jailbreak is a userland jailbreak and you need to be activated.

I don't have much experience with the 3GS's situation so perhaps someone else can chime in about custom firmwares

troyhouse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2010
Now hold up a minute there. The new jailbreak is a userland jailbreak and you need to be activated.

I don't have much experience with the 3GS's situation so perhaps someone else can chime in about custom firmwares

its already activated it, and i am using it with tmobile. so what happens when i upgrade to 4.0.1, will i have to activate again?

jplusc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
Los Angeles
I restored a jailbroken 3GS from 3.1.3 to 4.0 today. Set it up as a new phone and did not activate it (it had my old AT&T sim after upgrading to the iPhone 4). After the restore it said it was not activated. From there I put it in airplane mode, turned on wifi, jailbroke the phone with jailbreakme.com. From there I did the cydia updates via wifi. After that I threw in my brothers t-mobile pre-paid sim, left the phone in airplane mode and turned off 3G data, then went and installed ultrasn0w from cydia. After the reboot the phone was up and running on t-mobile (I believe I had to turn off airplane mode after the reboot). So I don't think the phone needs to be activated.

troyhouse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2010
I restored a jailbroken 3GS from 3.1.3 to 4.0 today. Set it up as a new phone and did not activate it (it had my old AT&T sim after upgrading to the iPhone 4). After the restore it said it was not activated. From there I put it in airplane mode, turned on wifi, jailbroke the phone with jailbreakme.com. From there I did the cydia updates via wifi. After that I threw in my brothers t-mobile pre-paid sim, left the phone in airplane mode and turned off 3G data, then went and installed ultrasn0w from cydia. After the reboot the phone was up and running on t-mobile (I believe I had to turn off airplane mode after the reboot). So I don't think the phone needs to be activated.

thanks for the reply, did the old att sim had an active account, or it was just defunct one...

troyhouse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2010
thanks a lot... so here is the process, please let me know if i missed out anything, i would hate to be without phone.

0. backups taken, photos/videos copied
1. insert att defunct sim card
2. upgrade to 4.0.1
3. enable airplane, enable wifi
4. goto jailbreakme.com, and jb it
5. goto cydia, make my life easier
6. add repo, and ul it

hope this is how it works... wish me luck.. gonna try it in 10-15 mins.

alectheking

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2010
thanks a lot... so here is the process, please let me know if i missed out anything, i would hate to be without phone.

0. backups taken, photos/videos copied
1. insert att defunct sim card
2. upgrade to 4.0.1
3. enable airplane, enable wifi
4. goto jailbreakme.com, and jb it
5. goto cydia, make my life easier
6. add repo, and ul it

hope this is how it works... wish me luck.. gonna try it in 10-15 mins.

Yuuuuup, git r' done

troyhouse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2010
oh itunes upgrade is painfully slow, should i take backup of my iphone again after itunes upgrade. i am not going to use it in any case.

troyhouse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2010
its going thru backup process... will push notifications work with non-working att sim card and with this jb/ul?

troyhouse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2010
3.1.3 is better than 4.0 by quite a bit. dont know why you want to upgrade so badly.

at some point i will have to upgrade, and what happens apple fixes this pdf jailbreak hack and now i will be 2 revisions behind. with this upgrade atleast i will get to 4.0 or else i will have to wait for long time.

troyhouse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2010
can you believe, backup is still in progress
i am getting impatient, should i just cancel the backup process.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.