Am I the only person here that is going to take advantage of the 3Gs price drop?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by notblackmac, Jun 8, 2010.

1. notblackmac macrumors regular

notblackmac

I mean, besides the better display, camera(s), battery, video chat, and design.. is there anything I'd miss out on by saving $100 bucks? I'm paying early upgrade pricing, which by the way, does anybody know the cost for early upgrading to a iPhone 3Gs? I know that iPhone 4 16gb will be 399.00 so what will that make the 3Gs? 299.00?

2. letswastetime macrumors regular

why not just save up $100 and buy the new one? it would be well worth it in the long run.

3. elephunkman macrumors 65816

Right now, you're probably one of the few, but as time goes on, around September time, people will buy the cheaper model as gifts and stuff.

4. Lola M macrumors member

No, you are not alone. My hubby bought one on Sunday evening. Speaking about last minute! He wanted unlimited data more than anything so he can stream Wold Cup games. He hasnt called me a crazy Apple fanatic ever since he got his iPhone. :)

5. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

I don't see how the advantages of the iPhone 4 would not be worth a hundred bucks to anyone.

6. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

So, basically, are you missing out on anything besides every single component of the phone?

Actually, Yeah. You'll also miss out on apps that take advantage of the faster processor speed and increased resolution.

Seriously, why would you ever do that? It's $100 over a minimum of 1-year. It's not even a 16 GB 3GS for goodness' sake!

7. Macdicted macrumors regular

+1 .......

At this point if you can wait why not spend an extra $100 ?

Seems well worth it to me :cool:

8. synagence macrumors 6502a

Stop thinking short term gain for long term loss.

If you get either a 3GS or 4 you're tied to an 18/24 month contract at some high price. But you saved $100 now..... Doesn't really add up cos then you're going to be stuck with previous gen product until July 2012

9. notblackmac thread starter macrumors regular

notblackmac

That $100 would take me about 3 months. Without a job money is tight. But I guess once the iPhone 4 officially gets released and there are side-by-side comparisons of the 2 it will make the decision a whole lot easier.

10. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

If it takes you 3 months to save $100, how are you going to afford a voice and data plan for the iPhone?

How do you save $33 per month without a job?

Why are you buying an iPhone if you don't have a job?

Sometimes, I just don't understand people...

11. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

If it's your first iPhone and you're on a budget or just don't "get it." Then yeah, I understand. But if you've already owned a 3G and are getting a 3GS, then no. I don't get it.

12. notblackmac thread starter macrumors regular

notblackmac

Like I said previously, I'm a highschool student. My parents pay for my plan.

13. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

Oh man, you don't need an iPhone, you need a job. Get your priorities right!

Honestly, the last thing you need is an overpriced thing with long commitment. Without a job, I would think twice about a DVD.

EDIT: high school point taken.

14. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

That's funny because high school is two words and, in fact, you didn't say anything previously about being in high school.

15. notblackmac thread starter macrumors regular

notblackmac

It took me about 3 times to re-type that, I must have only had that part in the first draft. And sorry about a little typo with high school? No need to be rude, I was only asking a simple question and made a few mistakes.

16. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

Yeah, that just proves to me that his priorities should be:

#1 - High School education (stressing the "education" part)

#2 - Steady job

#10 - New phone

17. appleguy123 macrumors 604

appleguy123

He didn't ask you to rank his priorities for him. OP all the things that you listed were major! It's really not even the same phone anymore like 3G>3GS.

18. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

It's really stupid to buy the 3GS model. Even if you don't need the upgrades it has...

a.) Resale Value. I guarentee that whenever you get rid of your iPhone, sell it on ebay/craigslist, the new iPhone 4 design will be valued at more than $150 higher than the old iPhone 3G/3GS design. So this $100 you save now will cost you in the long run.

b.) The reason for the poor resale value, lack of flash, 720p video recording, video calling, front facing camera, pentaband antenna that makes the new iPhone usable with the new standards globally where as the old standards werent, 8gb vs. 16 gbs, A4 processor, four times the resolution, new design etc etc.

c.) Tell you what, if you really want the 3GS, PM me, order the 16 gb iPhone 4 and I will ship you my 32gb 3GS in mint flawless never once been dropped condition plus the $100 difference in the price tag + the zagg skin I've had on it since the day I got it + a leather case + $50 profit for you in exchange for the iPhone 4. You get a 32gb 3GS mint phone for the same price as what the 8gb costs you, some extra accesories, and even make a $50 profit!

19. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

20. tfrees macrumors member

What else do you want?

21. OutlawImmortal macrumors regular

OutlawImmortal

First off, give the dude a break.

He said his mom pays for his plan but looks like he is buying the phone on his own without begging to mommy. Way to man up bro. I work two jobs (though my second one feeds my motocycle addiction) and I still had to start saving awhile back so I could buy the new ihone when it was released.

Second, I have to agree with everyone else, it would be worth the wait to get the new one in the long run. I say this because I have a 3G and my buddy has a 3GS, To me the speed is like night and day. I was going to upgrade but found out about the new one and figured I waited that long I could wait another few months.

Mow a couple of yards and your good to go man.

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

At this point, I would not buy the GS. To me, the extra 8GB and faster processor are more than worth the $100.

23. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

It will take you three months to save up $100? I know, you're a high school student, but that's like 2 days of work max. Go do some errands for people, wash about 7 cars. That's it. You should be able to make $100 in the next three days.

24. MacChinoNyc macrumors 6502

3 months to save 100 dollars? Hmmm, I'm assuming this is by saving allowance,lunch money, or little side jobs. Kid, if I was you I'd ask mom and pops for an advance or loan and you'll do whatever to pay them payback. Instead of 3 months, it could take you 1 1/2 months this way. Or dont eat lunch for a month, you might get thin but with a cool phone :D

Seriously, worth the extra 100.

25. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It's pointless but it's your money and your choice.