Am I the only person in the world that would like a SMALLER iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dannys1, Oct 15, 2013.

1. dannys1 macrumors 68000

dannys1

All I seem to see these days is people DESPERATE for some reason I'll never understand for an iPhone with a bigger screen.

For me all the skill is in fitting all that functionality and technology into a smaller thinner, lighter box. ANY tech company can put more things into something bigger with less experience.

But this clambering for bigger and bigger - maybe I'm just overly fashion conscious but when i'm out and about I don't want something huge in my pocket, I currently find the iPhone 5/5C bordering on the too large to be honest, it feels good in the hand, if slightly long and too long in the pocket. Id have happily stayed with 3.5".

Speaking of which id be over the moon if the next iPhone was 3.5" but half as thick and twice as light. Now THAT would be innovation and exciting. Id even take the current screen size or if they were to make the screen size bigger the device needs to remain no larger, so its just edge to edge. But thinness and lightness would be the key for me.

It just seems I'm in the 1% minority for this, a return to the days where smaller and smaller was better. Now its bigger and bigger and more ridiculous, that Sony phone rivals something from the 80's and its like holding an iPad mini to your face.

Having said that the US Phablet share is relatively small, so maybe its just tech geeks on forums that magically think a bigger screen size is the most exciting thing in the world - for me, I just take my iPad mini traveling when I need it, problem solved.

2. sluggozmom macrumors 6502

sluggozmom

You might think differently after you hit 40 and they start making the print smaller and smaller on everything you look at!

3. JaySoul macrumors 68020

JaySoul

If you're using a phone as your main consumption device, a bigger screen quite literally makes it easier to SEE THINGS.

Portability? Obviously a smaller one is better.

4. rburly macrumors 6502a

rburly

I just upgraded from the 4, and the difference in size is obvious. I do like that the 5s is thinner than the 4 and don't mind its current length. If Apple decided to go back to the same size as the 4/4s, I wouldn't mind, but I highly doubt they will.

I'm all about having a small, one-hand use phone, and the current model fits my needs very well, along with iOS7.

I've had iPhones since the 3G, and to make them smaller wouldn't be favored by most people I'm thinking. I don't know what the 6 will bring us, but hopefully the phone size won't get any bigger.

5. marcovortex macrumors member

marcovortex

I agree (mostly) with OP. I love its current size and if anything, would prefer future improvements to make it thinner and lighter. The current trend of these huge screens and phones is totally lost on me.
    If people want a bigger phone, Apple should make one for them if they can do it right. All I ask is please still make the current form factor and make it as thin and light as possible.

6. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Totally agree with the OP. This fetish with making everything bigger is just silly. Samsung is being ridiculous with their products.

On the other hand choice is a good thing. If people want bigger screens for their phones, so be it but I hope Apple stays with having smaller phones for those of us who need portability and functionality all in one.

Steve Job knew what he was doing when he created the iPad.

7. BSDanalyst macrumors regular

Current screen size is perfect. Current sales of the 5S further justifies the need of a larger screen size redundant.

8. dannys1 thread starter macrumors 68000

dannys1

To be fair my eyesight is terrible but I still prefer the smallest print size going. I must be the only one using iOS7 who has set dynamic print to the smallest. Just think small type faces are lovely.

----------

My Retina Macbook Pro is my main consumption device though... my PHONE is the last thing I consume things on.

9. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

I think Samsung is going to have a phone/watch. Maybe that will be for people who don't like "big" iphone screens.

10. scotrinaf macrumors 6502

I'm 38 and I'm loving the bigger screen sizes, I'm not a tablet person even though I do own one, I just prefer my phone because I can attach it to my belt and keep rolling... No doubt as I get older that will probably change, but for now, it's great having a larger screen without having to tote around an iPad mini...

11. Swinn macrumors newbie

I have the 5S and I love the size and weight (so light!), I would not want larger screen and I like the 4S size also. Our 15 yo daughter has a Galaxy 3...it's insanely huge! When she puts it in her back pocket 1/2 of it sticks out, when in the front about 1/4 does. I mostly carry my phone in my purse, but on the occasion I'm in grab and go mode I like how the iphone fits all the way in jean pockets. It fits in my daughter's pockets too, but she still prefers the Galaxy. :)

12. dannys1 thread starter macrumors 68000

dannys1

What??

[​IMG]

13. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

The 4s is a two year old phone. As an answer it's a bad one.

14. scotrinaf macrumors 6502

Hey, where'd you find my picture? LOL

I was referring to not liking to tote around an iPad due to its size...It's easier to put a phone in a belt clip and thus it is hands free.

15. alent1234 macrumors 603

try reading a book on your iphone
    then try reading a book on a 4.5 inch phone or a phablet

sure you can buy multiple devices but why spend the extra cash if you don't have to?

16. phositadc macrumors 6502

Fair enough, I just don't see why anybody would want to read a book on a phone. It's a freaking phone--not a tablet, not an ereader. 3.5 or 4.5 inches, either one is too small for me to happily read a book. I'd want 6 or 7 inches at least for a book, and I'll never carry a phone that large.

So I'm with the OP. The smaller the better.

17. scotrinaf macrumors 6502

I'm not a reader, except for my Bible app which I use on my tablet. :)

18. alent1234 macrumors 603

the NYC subway is so crowded that a lot of times i can't take my ipad out of my bag to read a book. and even if i could, i wouldn't have any room to hold it.

i almost traded my IP5 for a galaxy note 2 the other day because its easier to read on it and it fits in my pocket. but i also have a galaxy S3 and its almost as big as a paperback and easier to read on than my iphone

next year i might trade my iphone 5 for a galaxy note 4 so i don't have to carry my ipad with me

19. sucka free macrumors member

I'd like to see them keep the same since and stretch the screen just a bit wider and taller.
    It seems more than do-able

20. Skika macrumors 68030

But the most realistic one since Apple wont make a smaller phone.

21. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

I have no need for a bigger screen.

I'll keep with Apple as long as they build phones that I can reasonably fit into a pocket, though.

22. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

I'm in the 1% with you OP. The ability to use all of my phone with one hand is paramount. I can read my 5S screen just fine and it is my primary web browser

4 inches is right at the threshold of one handed usability for me (and I suspect most people) so if they come out with a bigger model I hope they keep a 4 inch variant.

23. ABC5S macrumors 68040

My 0.02 cents worth.....

Saw two HTC smartphones at AT&T yesterday, one being 4.3 (HTC mini), and the larger HTC One (4.7 I believe). If HTC, and Samsung can do larger, and smaller size, it would be a matter of time when Apple does this, and me thinks it will come next year, just a guess.

Both the smaller size, and larger, if ever offered by Apple should be made of aluminum, and not plastic to give both that mature professional look, similar to the iphone 5/5S. I don't care about the iphone 5C plastic but many do.

However, I really still like the iphone 4/4s models that have that heavy feel to them over the lighter frame ones currently offered. I would never want one that is 4.8 or wider that is for me not easily handled with one hand.

Wait and see ;)

24. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Don't think you are in the 1 percent more like .1 percent.