Am I the only person that thinks the 17" looks funny?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PowerGamerX, Jun 16, 2010.

1. PowerGamerX macrumors 6502a

PowerGamerX

Even in the old PowerBook days, there was just something asthetically unpleasing about the 17", the 15" and 13" (12" in the PB days) have always looked quite good but there is something about the 17" that makes it look, unbalenced? Even though it's symetrical like the others. Hmmm, perhaps it's just me.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I agree, I think it has something to do with having the same size keyboard and trackpad as the 13" just spread out more. Plus it has a tiny bezel, which looks kinda funny as well. I'm just not a huge fan of the 17 overall. The screen is too high-res, and is uncomfortable to read even with my pretty good vision, and I would have to see the high-res 15 to see if I would like that. I love my 13, my only complaint is lack of FW800. That would be rather nice for time machine, but it's really not a problem.

3. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

probably because the keyboards are all the same size on every model,
    and on the 17" it looks like the others just stretched out wide.

4. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

I think the smaller bezel looks great but the keyboard looks kinda small. It would be the last reason to stop me from buying one though

5. sadcamper macrumors regular

Looks fine to me...maybe because I'm a big guy and it doesn't feel as undersized as the 13 does. Agreed that the 15 looks the most "standard" though.

Pretty sure a larger keyboard would make it look rather strange. :p

6. tim100 macrumors 65816

yea the 15 does look the most standard. the other questions does it seem to be the trend for smaller full function laptops?

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What makes you say that?
    funny.jpg

8. lukester macrumors 6502

Oh no.. it looks funny and I just ordered one..

please dont laugh at me..

9. PowerGamerX thread starter macrumors 6502a

PowerGamerX

im not saying it looks completely bad nor am I saying that people are idiots for buying one, I just think it looks a little off. Why does everybody here take everything personally and with hostility? Sheesh lol.

GG, it doesn't look funny from that angle, but the keyboard, speakers, and trackpad all look odd to me. Screen looks fine.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Who is showing hostility? It might be the voices in your head, talking to you. :eek:

11. PowerGamerX thread starter macrumors 6502a

PowerGamerX

I found lukesters post to be a little hostile, well maybe hostile is the wrong word, it just came off as being an ass lol. It wasn't directed at you.

12. diablo2112 macrumors 6502

Honestly, I wish Apple would redo the keyboard on the 17 to include a numeric keypad. With this change, I might even consider the 17. It certainly has the real-estate for this change.

13. lukester macrumors 6502

just kidding around..

to each his own..

14. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

It looks funny at first but once you've owned one, it's not funny anymore. In fact, it looks the same as the 15" models from the user's view.

15. PowerGamerX thread starter macrumors 6502a

PowerGamerX

Well I apologize then if it was ment in that manner, unfortunately, it's hard to tell how people mean something through text sometimes

16. banalelectric macrumors member

As an owner of a 15" PB, I will agree that the 17" looked a bit funny to me when I was checking it out in the store. Something about that tiny keyboard drifting in a sea brushed aluminum... That said, after using it for three weeks, it just looks very proper to me now. Maybe love is blind? More probable is that the awkwardness of the 17" is the result of a bias in perception. People who have only used 15" or smaller laptops previously see the 17" as a slightly awkward design, whereas users of the 17" don't notice it at all.

The skinny AL bezel was a major draw for me, incidentally. Big bezels are gross and a sign of unused potential screen real estate. It's also nice to have built-in laptop speakers that are notch above the typical tin-can pieces of crap that come in the smaller models. (Just to point out that all that empty space on either side of the keyboard isn't completely wasted...)

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, I see what you mean now! :D
    features_trackpad20100409.jpg

18. phoobo macrumors regular

19. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Right, which is why some people might feel put off by your OP. Some might take it as a personal attack against them since they own the 17" and some might take it as you just voicing your opinion as you are entitled to do. It's only fair for you to give others the benefit of the doubt as you want that given to you. :)

In other news, you're right the 17" looks wrong somehow but as others said it's probably the dwarfed keyboard against the large cabinet

20. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Sour grapes?

It has standard full sized keys. Do you want giant keys?

21. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I think it's just a matter of perspective. I used to think the 17" was too big and that it would be so bulky, but after using one for a year I think it's spaced out nicely and looking at older models like the 12" iBooks and PB's make me think those are so cramped. You get used to what you use regularly.

22. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I think your's looks funny. :D

I mean sure it looks funny in one of Apple's best commercials.
    [​IMG]

23. max211 macrumors newbie

I got to agree with some of you that said it looked funny/not right at first. I owned 15" MBP before and had that feeling when I was looking for a new 17" MBP at the store. I still felt that way even after ordering and waiting for my MBP to arrive. Not anymore :D

24. Sankersizzle macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

to be honest, i think the 15" looks the dorkiest. something about the thin strip of speakers flanking the keyboards looks strange to me. i can't take the 13 inch seriously because i have never used a laptop other than a 17". The 17" however, looks like natalie portman and kiera knightly had a lovechild.