Am I the only person who doesn't care about 9/11?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by puma1552, Sep 10, 2011.

1. puma1552 macrumors 601

Am I the only person who doesn't care to dig up 9/11 and watch the same stupid videos of the airplanes hitting the towers tens of times tomorrow after spending the last ten years seeing the same thing every time you turn on the TV? If it isn't the videos of the planes, it's listening to everyone's same old sob story or account of the events, which invariably are the same.

My dad's gonna be Fox Newsing it up allll day tomorrow, I'm planning on being out of the house for the maximum amount of time possible tomorrow.

Maybe I'm crass, but **** was 10 years ago, time to move on.

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Probably not, but you're the only one coming across as a jerk about it.

3. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

Same thing here (I was also 10 years old). But I can see you come from Japan (is that true though? There is Faux News in Japan?). I come from Canada, so we have in common the fact that we weren't affected personally, nor were we affected as a nation. I'm getting tired of hearing about it, but I understand that some people were touched very profoundly by this.

4. 184550 Guest

I was going to say ******* but jerk works.

5. mentaluproar macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

Nah, I don't really care. Trust me, the dead people don't either.

6. ExiledMafia, Sep 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2011

ExiledMafia macrumors regular

You don't understand because your not from the US

7. 184550, Sep 10, 2011

184550 Guest

Perhaps you'd like to trade with one of them so we can get their opinion?

8. ExiledMafia macrumors regular

I would never have the disrespect to say the same thing about hiroshima so please have the same respect. k thanks

9. puma1552, Sep 10, 2011

puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

Yes I am from the US, and live in the US. I was here when the towers were hit.

Sorry, I don't care about making some massive deal because 3,000 US citizens in NUMERAL UNO USA USA USA were killed. Nobody makes such a big deal about the millions of people that get killed annually in other countries throughout the world. Those are "third world" countries, so nobody cares.

10. Typswif2fingers, Sep 10, 2011

Typswif2fingers macrumors 6502

You don't understand because your are not from the rest of the world...

11. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

No, Tomorrow will be the first day in years where I don't turn on the news. I normally watch CNN for background noise throughout the day, but won't tomorrow.

12. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

It's not so much about that, it's more the issue of how many times do we have to dig it up over and over and over and over again? What purpose does it serve? We've seen it all hundreds of times before, don't need to bring it up annually forever. The media just doesn't quit.

13. bassfingers macrumors 6502

bassfingers

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

You wouldn't say that to the faces of a 9/11 family.

Real cute

14. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

Sure you would of cared if it was a friend/family who were burning to death, or jumping from the towers, or maybe who watched as they smashed in to the side of the towers, moments before they perished.

For someone who doesn't care about 9/11, you seem to be very willing to start a thread on the subject.

15. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

Actually, I'd probably get pretty discouraged by the relentless wound-opening year-in, year-out.

16. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Turn it off then. Perfectly understandable. It's your lack of respect that turns me off.

There are many things people choose to remember, from holidays to anniversaries to traumatic news events. Many of us choose to be respectful and/or remember such an occasion. And clearly, some of us choose to be jerks about it.

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. The coverage is over the top this year, but it is still an important event to remember.

18. Lone Deranger, Sep 10, 2011

Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

If anything, I’m tired of the one sidedness of the coverage.

10 years ago, I had tremendous sympathy for the American people. Now, after a decade of watching America retaliate, that feeling has almost entirely been pushed aside by loathing. It was a terrible event the US suffered that day, but their answer has unfortunately become the greater crime.

I think your own ignorance is forgetting this statistic.

19. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

Sorry, I just don't care. Am I rude, sure. But at least I tell it like I see it.

I can respect the families, and that they lost someone. But if I were them, I'd probably want my private tragedy respected and left to be private, rather than be whored around on every news outlet at every possible chance so that talk show host Geraldo Rivera can make an extra buck on Fox Propaganda.

I just don't see why I should have a social responsibility to be compelled to care--as if it's socially unacceptable not to.

20. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

But none of my friends, family or acquaintances were there, as is the case for most Americans.

3,000 people died on that day, but it isn't something that we need to turn into a big ordeal every time a significant number of years passes.

I bet that if we ever get out of the middle east, the media will stop covering it so intensely.

21. ender land macrumors 6502a

Most people who don't care about issues others passionately care about choose to not act superior/hostile about it.

For example, if your parents both died in a car crash, and you created a thread here, would you appreciate it if I posted "and I care why?" in the thread? I mean, I really would have a hard time caring any more for your particular parents than any random two people who die in a car accident.

Just because you do not personally care does not mean that it is wrong to care.

22. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

So I'm still wondering for someone who doesn't care about 9/11, why did you make a thread?

Because that's exactly what you did with this thread :rolleyes:

23. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Why are there Atheist threads?
    Not caring about the things that others care about is important to some people.

24. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

The fact that OP is moaning about people bringing up 9/11, and he's does exactly the same thing. Maybe I'm being a little stupid here? But I'm sure he's going against something he just said he didn't care about.

The word hypocrite comes to mind....

25. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I will watch the ceremonies in the morning then turn off the news coverage. I will always remember what happened but I don't want to relive the day. To say you don't care at all about it is very ignorant. You can't hide from the fact that it happened. Sure the media coverage will be over the top but it is the 10th anniversary and maybe the most important since the first year.