Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kavika411

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2006
Alabama
Sorry for the rant, and yes, I've researched this, and yes, I've been on Macrumors for a while, but I want to figure out if:

(1) IS THERE A WAY FOR ME TO STOP ANY NOTIFICATION OF AN INCOMING TEXT?

(2) ASSUMING THERE IS NOT, AM I THE ONLY PERSON WHO CARES ABOUT THIS?

(3) Am I missing something obvious in this regard? Does no other cell phone carrier/manufacturer provide this service (non-service)?

Back in my Blackberry days, my phone received texts like emails. In other words, I could get a vibration, or a sound, or a whatever, OR NOTHING AT ALL.

I am tired of being on the phone, or my son playing a game I bought him, or any number of things, just to have a notification that I got a text from someone DROP ON TOP OF EVERYTHING.

No, it's not enough to have the the text reduced to only the sender's name. I don't want even a mention of who the text is from to appear.

No, it appears AT&T doesn't give me the option of forgoing any text messaging. Even if it did, I want the option of getting texts without it interrupting whatever I am doing. JUST LIKE EMAILS.

Feel free to flame me as one of those people who is never going to be satisfied, but I don't normally b*tch about the iPhone. I've owned one since the first day they went on sale and love it. I just don't understand why I can't simply stop the interfere-with-everything-I'm-doing feature for texts.

Thanks for letting me vent.

I am interested in the answers to my two questions if there is someone inclined who is not put off by my use of CAPS-LOCK.

Thanks.

kavika411

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2006
Alabama
Settings -> Messages -> Show Preview / Repeat Alert = Off

Settings -> Sounds -> New Text Message -> None

Thank you for taking the time to respond. Here's the problem, what you've suggested - correct me if I'm wrong - does not stop the DROP-ON-TOP-OF-EVERYTHING notification. It merely cuts off the preview of the message, and stops the sounds. What remains is what I absolutely can't stand - a notification that I've received a text from John Doe.

Here's an example. For better or worse, I give my clients my cell phone number. I don't make it a point to pro-actively ask them not to text me. Maybe I should, but my guess is that very few people make it a point to say, "Here's my cell number, but please don't text me." Anyway, I have clients who will text me information that is private which, inherently, means that if I don't want someone else to know that John Doe is my client, I better not let anyone else hold my phone ... ever.

I'll repeat. I'd love to be proven wrong, and no, I'm not in the business of hyperbole. Just very frustrated. But I mean it when I say thank you for your help.

Not unless you jb your iPhone.

I was afraid that was the case. If you don't mind me asking, does that seem odd to you? Is every single smart phone this way, or is the iPhone the only one that can't let you make the simplest adjustment and turn ANY AND ALL NOTIFICATIONS OFF?

Grrr.

Again. Thank you for letting me rant. And thank you for taking the time to respond.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
As far as whether or not it's odd, well, it's neither the first nor the last "feature" that's odd about these phones. There's plenty of design choices that Apple has made that don't make a whole lot of sense from a real world usability perspective. But that's neither here nor there.

Short of jailbreaking, yes, you can opt out of a texting plan with AT&T. Unlike their data plans, text plans appear to be optional.

If you do want to go the JB route, Cydia apps such as BiteSMS are available that will allow you to change SMS sounds and alert messages in many ways, and I believe Bite does have the privacy features you're looking for. Is it silly that we should have to JB to enhance basic functions on our phones? Yes. But it's also relatively painless, and you may find that like many of us, you're much happier as a result.

Best of luck either way in finding the right solution for your needs--I know what it's like to be aggravated by something like this!

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Not sure if every smartphone out there has a feature to disable all notifications. The iPhone doesn't have every single feature that every phone does though. There are limitations by Apple and by AT&T.
But it's always good to test out and research a product before you purchase and commit yourself into a 2 year agreement.

kavika411

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2006
Alabama
As far as whether or not it's odd, well, it's neither the first nor the last "feature" that's odd about these phones. There's plenty of design choices that Apple has made that don't make a whole lot of sense from a real world usability perspective. But that's neither here nor there.

Short of jailbreaking, yes, you can opt out of a texting plan with AT&T. Unlike their data plans, text plans appear to be optional.

If you do want to go the JB route, Cydia apps such as BiteSMS are available that will allow you to change SMS sounds and alert messages in many ways, and I believe Bite does have the privacy features you're looking for. Is it silly that we should have to JB to enhance basic functions on our phones? Yes. But it's also relatively painless, and you may find that like many of us, you're much happier as a result.

Best of luck either way in finding the right solution for your needs--I know what it's like to be aggravated by something like this!

Thanks for taking the time to respond so fully. I really don't want to jailbreak, and I do have clients that want to communicate via texts (so I can't give it up completely), so I guess I'm stuck with it. But thanks for your time.

... But it's always good to test out and research a product before you purchase and commit yourself into a 2 year agreement.

Thanks for the condescension. As I said in my original post, I've very devoted to my iPhone, as I have been from - literally - the first day the first generation went on sale. I'm simply asking about turning off this one "feature," not whether it is "always good to test out and research a product before you purchase and commit yourself into a 2 year agreement."

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
you can ask at&t to disable texting to your phone and then use google voice or another free text app to handle your other clients. i use textplus, but they don't give you a phone number. i believe textfree does and a lot of people here endorse them.

Alaerian

Jan 6, 2005
A barstool, Innis & Gunn in hand
Thanks for the condescension. As I said in my original post, I've very devoted to my iPhone, as I have been from - literally - the first day the first generation went on sale. I'm simply asking about turning off this one "feature," not whether it is "always good to test out and research a product before you purchase and commit yourself into a 2 year agreement."
It wasn't condescending. It was an appropriate response, especially considering the tone of your initial post. Asking a question is fine, but using caps everywhere is akin to shouting and throwing a temper tantrum. Perhaps if you take the time to calm yourself down and ask in a manner befitting an adult, you'll receive the responses you desire.

kavika411

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2006
Alabama
It wasn't condescending. It was an appropriate response, especially considering the tone of your initial post. Asking a question is fine, but using caps everywhere is akin to shouting and throwing a temper tantrum. Perhaps if you take the time to calm yourself down and ask in a manner befitting an adult, you'll receive the responses you desire.

And perhaps that's why I acknowledged and mocked myself in the OP for using all-caps.

Just perhaps.

Perhaps I ain't the one "throwing the temper tantrum."

Perhaps.

kavika411

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2006
Alabama
Acknowledging that you're throwing a temper tantrum doesn't change that you are, indeed, still throwing a temper tantrum.

If you can't add to the substance of the OP, nor admit that you didn't even read the OP in full before eagerly hitting the Submit Reply button, find an appropriate thread. If you think I'm out out of line, knock yourself out and report me.

jackryan57

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2008
And perhaps that's why I acknowledged and mocked myself in the OP for using all-caps.

Just perhaps.

Perhaps I ain't the one "throwing the temper tantrum."

Perhaps.

I feel your pain, brother. I too have been incensed with the fact that I can't stop text message notifications - it is absurd. Every other smart phone I have had gives the user the ability to stop these notifications.

I also thought someone was being condescending to you but I actually thought you got off kind of easy. Usually every time someone brings up this topic here they get flamed with responses like "stop cheating on your wife and you won't have to worry". These forums are full of some excellent information but unfortunately they are also full of hypocrites who can't wait to slam someone.

So, back to your original post - you are not the only person who wants ZERO notifications of texts. It is probably the number one reason why I can't live without my jailbreak.

Alaerian

Jan 6, 2005
A barstool, Innis & Gunn in hand
If you can't add to the substance of the OP, nor admit that you didn't even read the OP in full before eagerly hitting the Submit Reply button, find an appropriate thread. If you think I'm out out of line, knock yourself out and report me.
Your post was read in full. Several times, in fact. If you feel the need to joke about using caps, why use them at all? Would it have been so terribly difficult to simply ask "Is there a way to disable any and all notification of incoming text messages?" Instead, you decided to go on a tirade of shouting and foot-stomping and complain when you're called out on it. People on this forum respond much better when the tantrums are left out.

Text message notification is not able to be completely eliminated unless you disable incoming text messages through AT&T or choose to Jailbreak. If you don't elect one of those options, you'll simply have to ask your clients to avoid sending you messages via text

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Sorry, maybe not what you wanted to hear but its the truth.
Maybe drop them a suggestion below and hope they take into consideration towards the next firmware update.
http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html
Complaining or arguing about it wont get you anywhere. We gave you the options available to you above, up to you on what you decide though. Good luck.

My ex-girlfriend could have used this feature. Luckily for me she didn't have that ability.

Thats why she's an Ex probably :D
lol

Pink∆Floyd

macrumors 68020
Nov 21, 2009
Up There
Sorry for the rant, and yes, I've researched this, and yes, I've been on Macrumors for a while, but I want to figure out if:

(1) IS THERE A WAY FOR ME TO STOP ANY NOTIFICATION OF AN INCOMING TEXT?

(2) ASSUMING THERE IS NOT, AM I THE ONLY PERSON WHO CARES ABOUT THIS?

(3) Am I missing something obvious in this regard? Does no other cell phone carrier/manufacturer provide this service (non-service)?

Back in my Blackberry days, my phone received texts like emails. In other words, I could get a vibration, or a sound, or a whatever, OR NOTHING AT ALL.

I am tired of being on the phone, or my son playing a game I bought him, or any number of things, just to have a notification that I got a text from someone DROP ON TOP OF EVERYTHING.

No, it's not enough to have the the text reduced to only the sender's name. I don't want even a mention of who the text is from to appear.

No, it appears AT&T doesn't give me the option of forgoing any text messaging. Even if it did, I want the option of getting texts without it interrupting whatever I am doing. JUST LIKE EMAILS.

Feel free to flame me as one of those people who is never going to be satisfied, but I don't normally b*tch about the iPhone. I've owned one since the first day they went on sale and love it. I just don't understand why I can't simply stop the interfere-with-everything-I'm-doing feature for texts.

Thanks for letting me vent.

I am interested in the answers to my two questions if there is someone inclined who is not put off by my use of CAPS-LOCK.

Thanks.

instead of complaining here, why don't you complain to the big man?
sjobs@apple.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.